Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAMA Bubinga review / 2 Gig Reports

User Info Menu

Thumbs up TAMA Bubinga review / 2 Gig Reports

Sorry for the long post.

I love a 7 pc kit and love the 6 pc layout better. Getting rid of the rack tom to the right of the bass drum allows me better comfort by allowing me to move my ride in closer. Remove one floor tom and you have 2 up and 1 down for compactness.

My TAMA "bubes" are 5 pc. 4 pc and I bought the matching snare. By only having a 5 pc. you are pretty much out of choice of making the kit even smaller unless by removing another rack tom but the foot print won't change so its of no benefit from a size point of veiw. My point is, if you only have a 5 pc you can take everything. I can pretty much guarantee I can fit it into the tightest of conditions and not feel cramped.

As far as sound, they just thump. The bass drum is equipped with the infamous SKII and matching reso. Using clear G2's on top and G1's on the bottom of the toms, the drums sing like DW's but with more low end and power. More attack also makes them dominate a room. Projection from the PA system will separate your hairdo and change the rhythmic beating of your heart.

The drums have excellent sustain but not over powering or have any overtones whatsoever. They play melodic notes and sound like a bass guitar so when the bass and I lock in, it's truly musical. But with the attack, they work well with the notes of the bass guitar.

I don't use expensive mics and our PA is nothing to brag about but the drums not only fill the stage but through the PA, fill the room with thump. I feel like they change my drumming personality on stage. I tend to lay back and find a pocket to just keep the motor running. Fewer wild fills and fewer "askews". More precision and better lock-in with the other two instruments.

A lot of 80's music seems to be (and comes off more effectively for dancing) better played with a 1-2, 1-2 (kick-snare) tromp that keeps the dancers up. Obviously, I try to play as close to the original but some songs just have the driving beat going.

Last weekend was a Friday night/ Saturday night gig. We setup on Thursday night so we have 3 nights invested into the show. Since this was the first gig after a 3 month hiatus, I was careful to make sure I knew my parts. I wasn't going to go out of the lines and make sure my other members were ready to gig again. I locked into that 1-2 pocket and what I noticed was, that by the end of the weekend, the logo on my bass drum had shifted from 12 oclock to about 12:30 or just about to the first lug.

I thought I was pretty lucky nothing fell off, thinking everything must be very loose. I also noticed that the bass drum had never sounded better. In its defense, this was only the second gig I'd taken the TAMAs to. The curious part was that each lug and the hoop were tight to the head and nothing could be nudged by hand. I inspected it before storing it during pack up at the end of the night. I have no idea how that head managed to move like it did. It could only have been the constant 1-2 pounding (with enthusiasm) that must have caused it. But the head moving is something I've never experienced before.

For the crowd, I'd never seen the place more crowded. This place will hold over 300 peeps. Even the parking lot was full. All tables to back by the pool tables were even filled. It was capacity crowd all night. Even up to last call. That was both Friday and Saturday night. That doesn't happen very often.

Best part, was I ran into a handful of people I hadn't seen since high school. That was fun!

This past weekend was a Saturday night only gig at a new place we hadn't been in before. This place was wide and shallow. The "side" door was where you entered and tables were left or right, (one row each side of the door) and only against the wall. Straight ahead was the bar and behind the bar was ... yes you guessed it, the stage. Oh I get it. This used to be a stripe club. Needless to say we had to haul our gear around to the right, through a small doorway and back down this narrow hallway up several stairs to the tiny "dance floor" stage we set up on. Glad I brought the 5 pc.

When I got there the PA and keyboard stuff were already set up. No band members in sight and no one but a bartender were there. What a difference from last week. This place is about a fourth the size of last weeks gig.

I carried my drums in and as I was just about finished the guitarist shows up. It's now a little past 8 and people are starting to file in. By the time we are to start, the place is packed. I was shocked. The bar hasn't been open that long and had a pretty good crowd. As I'm looking around, I notice a lot of familiar faces that come to see us at one of our regular hangouts a few blocks away. So I'm glad to see the crowd came out to see us and not just to hang out at the bar. That's a great feeling.

The show went well, we had a great reception from the crowd.

On to next weekend.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: TAMA Bubinga review / 2 Gig Reports

Hey Bish,

Nice review of the Tamas!

It sure does sounds like you're happy to be back out there again though! Glad to hear the gigs are going so well!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Why would I be disappointed Bish? Because it sounds like you favor the Tamas over your Dubbs???

Great review, and it sounds like you guys are making a name for yourselves around town...that's awesome!!

And the kick head thing, well, I have had that happen to me too once before. No worries!! Besides, you said it sounded killer anyways right!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Nice review
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I don't think I did the bubes any justice. To really capture what they did for me these past two weekends, you'd have to hear them. SWEET!!!!

BTW, Norske, if you can get Les to come along (or even if you can't )...April 3rd and 4th we are back at the big bar (Rusty Nail) in town and I'd really be honored to have you guys come down for a night. I can put you both up if you need a place to stay.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I just finished a 4 week tour with the TAMAs. Boy, do I like them a lot. They had great tone and sustain. The bass drum kicked. The band loved the way they sounded and I loved they way the performed. Solid power drums that just rang with authority. I felt it helps me play more solidly. (We had a terrific weekend)

I have two weeks off so now the TAMAs come in and I'm debating on which kit to take next. Probably the Pearls. They haven't been out since last summer.
    Signature here

Larrysperf Guest

very cool glad you are doing well and having fun

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    The drums have excellent sustain but not over powering or have any overtones whatsoever. They play melodic notes and sound like a bass guitar so when the bass and I lock in, it's truly musical. But with the attack, they work well with the notes of the bass guitar.
    I know exactly what you mean here. This same situatuation was what I loved about YES when Bill Bruford and Chris Squire played on Fragile and Close to the Edge.

It becomes almost Magical.

Anywho, glad the Tama's are working out for you and that the shows are going so well too.

Cheers,
    John
    "No Sharezies!"

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. As a band we have a year and a half under our belts and we see each others potential and are starting to lock parts in and play "as a team."

I love it when that happens.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

perfect review, would you consider them hall of fame drums?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Very cool stuff.

I personally love switching kits. I fall in love again all the time with my different kits. Enjoy the TAMAs for a while then grab another. And I am sure you will love the other one as much.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-MANN View Post
    I know exactly what you mean here. This same situatuation was what I loved about YES when Bill Bruford and Chris Squire played on Fragile and Close to the Edge.

G-Mann
    Love to hear from an educated Yes fan!!
    I think what still stands out about Bruford's sound is the open tuning on the toms. Very little dampening, if any. Great 'ping' from the snare, too. Combine that with Squire's tendency to go up on the neck, and you got Yes!!
    My toms have like no bearing edge left to speak of so I have not been able to get that roundness for a while. Can't wait to replace the old girls.

Bish
    Great review. I totally feel the fun. Makes me long to get back out there myself.

Peace and rhythm.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
    G-Mann
    Bish
    Great review. I totally feel the fun. Makes me long to get back out there myself.

Peace and rhythm.

Go for it!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish
    You know I will. Need a little time to recover from completing my college edu at 40!. Also, moving at the end of this month. (Nothing I hate more than moving.)
    After that...it has to happen.
    Nothing like the response of a live crowd!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Nice review. I wanted to know if you could compare the pitch of Bubinga to Mahogany, do you think Mahogany is lower pitch?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    Nice review. I wanted to know if you could compare the pitch of Bubinga to Mahogany, do you think Mahogany is lower pitch?
    I can't say about Mahogany but I can say Walnut is deeper. My Mapex Saturns were deep tonally, deeper than the tuning on my TAMAs.

The TAMA's aren't really deeper sounding, just more melodic with lower overtones. Very pleasing to the ears and they really bring out the boom in the wood. The bass drum is more of a thumper than the DW's or the Pearl Masters.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey Bish,
    Question
    I am looking to add a second recording kit to my home studio. What are your impressions of the Bub's for recording compared to dw and did you play the Birch Bubinga Tama's prior to your purchase of the bub's and if you did what were your impressions in comparison. I classically have been recording heavier songs and the bubs look like they would work well.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Sorry for the late response, nucjd. I haven't been able to visit here much lately.

What I've found with my Bubs is a very nice ringing tonal throw from each drum. The Bass thumps and you can really feel it immerse you.

I don't think they are any better or worse than how my DW's sound. Based on your signature, I think you have all the bases covered pretty well, as it were.

Currently, I have my DW's and my Pearl Masters set up. My TAMA's are packed up after a month of gigs which ended back in August.

I'm actually having a conversation with some that might be interested in them. Not sure I want to sell them, tho.

Are you looking for anything special in your next kit? I think it would be good to hear how the Birch Bubs sound in comparison to the Bubs. Not sure if you'd gain more punch in the low end or lose the low end due to the punch. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say if you get a chance to compare.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Bish. My dw's record perfectly and with the VLT I am extremely happy with the low end. I was really curious if recording wise i the studio is there any reason to use bubinga instead of the dw. It sounds like there is a ton of deep tone with not as much attack. The problem I have is if I go to say Guitar center and play a set, it does not translate at all into my studio and mics. I will bang on some B/B's and bubingas and give a shout back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Thanks for the info Bish. My dw's record perfectly and with the VLT I am extremely happy with the low end. I was really curious if recording wise i the studio is there any reason to use bubinga instead of the dw. It sounds like there is a ton of deep tone with not as much attack. The problem I have is if I go to say Guitar center and play a set, it does not translate at all into my studio and mics. I will bang on some B/B's and bubingas and give a shout back.
    I think you live near 2slow. Just drop by his place. He's probably got one of everything just laying around waiting to be played.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish,
    I recently bought a Tama Bub kit. Having trouble getting that powerful thump out of the kick.

Can you tell me how your kick is set up....muffleing, heads, tuning etc. Not sure what an SKII head is.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fess View Post
    Bish,
    I recently bought a Tama Bub kit. Having trouble getting that powerful thump out of the kick.

Can you tell me how your kick is set up....muffleing, heads, tuning etc. Not sure what an SKII head is.
    Thanks.
    Hi, Fess. Welcome to Drum Chat.

Congrats on the new kit.

I have both heads just barely tensioned. The SKII is an Aquarian Super Kick 2 head. It's very durable and has its own bit of muffling.

I don't have any other form of muffling of any kind inside the bass drum.

Sorry for the delay in answering your question.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fess View Post
    Bish,

Thanks.
    Hi, Fess. Welcome to Drum Chat.

Congrats on the new kit.

I have both heads just barely tensioned. The SKII is an Aquarian Super Kick 2 head. It's very durable and has its own bit of muffling.

I don't have any other form of muffling of any kind inside the bass drum.

Sorry for the delay in answering your question.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Alright Bish, heading to GC today and will bang on some Birch/Bubinga to get a feel. On a side note, in your experience what kit would you go after to compliment your dw recording wise? High end Yam birch, etc...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Alright Bish, heading to GC today and will bang on some Birch/Bubinga to get a feel. On a side note, in your experience what kit would you go after to compliment your dw recording wise? High end Yam birch, etc...?
    So what did you find?

I'm deciding between the Bubingas and the Birch/Bubingas myself.

I smacked a Bubinga set at GC last Summer and it just AMAZED me!!

I need to get some time with a B/B kit to make a decision.