Thread: I didn't sell my Valje's after all

User Info Menu

Default I didn't sell my Valje's after all

I'm happy to say I still have my Valje drums. I put them up for sale for a couple of weeks but no serious takers. I'm relieved actually - I know I'd miss those babies.

I've just tucked new LP flats on all the drums except the Macho (small bongo) it was done recently and is in fine shape. The heads are all dried (this last week) and the drums are sounding pretty nice!

These are the newly tucked drums - all except the bongos - I tucked the large bongo head a couple of days after this shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: I didn't sell my Valje's after all

Glad to hear that , I thought you would regret it afterwards .

User Info Menu

Those sure are beautiful congas Kona, so I am sure you will have many happy days ahead with those new heads!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I didn't sell my Valje's after all

Lookin' good, kona...and I bet they're soundin' good...

Cheers, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Once again Kona, I'm very glad to hear you held onto those beauties. Never again will you find a full matching set with bongos in such great shape! Pass those babies on to your kids and grand kids!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Once again Kona, I'm very glad to hear you held onto those beauties. Never again will you find a full matching set with bongos in such great shape! Pass those babies on to your kids and grand kids!
    Ya - maybe I could get $10,000 from my kids - before I "pass-on" - lol ! Sort of like a reverse mortgage.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Cool Kona, your keeping em, Yah! I gotta ask you: have you ever seen another complete set as nice as yours lately? I hunt for congas all the time, I haven't.
    BTW the new heads look good, bet they sound awesome!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Cool Kona, your keeping em, Yah! I gotta ask you: have you ever seen another complete set as nice as yours lately? I hunt for congas all the time, I haven't.
    BTW the new heads look good, bet they sound awesome!
    L4C
    Thanks - yes they do sound pretty nice. They have that full mellow not-bongie-type sound. Although, some of the congas I've batted around over the years have that "bongie-type" sound and I've liked that. Some of the finishes on the congas out there these days are stunning to say the least. The finish on my drums is pretty ordinary by comparison. Just look as some of the Volcano drums for instance. And there are lots of others out there too.

I saw (on-line) the new Walnut Valje bongos that Ralph Flores made recently and theyr'e beautiful. I'm glad he's making Valje's again. I hear he will keep making Resolution drums too.

To answer your question regarding the "complete set" - I've not seen a complete set of 30-50 or so year old Valje tubadoras including bongos other than mine. I'm not saying they're not out there - I just haven't seen any.
    Last edited by kona; 03-24-2009 at 01:00 AM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I didn't sell my Valje's after all

All the more reason for hangin' on to them...you got one heck of a set there!

(By "bongie" I'm assuming you that the congas ring a bit? I didin't think you were referring to the way bongos sound, in which case you may have them tuned too tight! just kiddin' ya, bro'...)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hey Kona,
    Glad to see you kept the Valjes. I have a set of three from 1973. Would not part with them. Recently reskinned them--better than ever.