Thread: 8th notes and 16th notes

User Info Menu

Default 8th notes and 16th notes

Hi folks!
    I'm sure this is elementary for most of you, but I am a little stuck and getting a little frustrated and am hoping for pointers.

I am trying to learn 8th notes on HiHat along with 16th notes on bass and can not seem to get it down. Where I am getting stuck is when the bass gets hit between the HiHat. Specifically, are there any pointers on how hitting the bass between the "3" and the "and" on the Hihat. The way I am trying to teach myself is to hit the bass pedal while my right hand is at its pinnacle, but it is alot harder than I thought.

Does this make any sense?

Thanks!
    Ed

User Info Menu

Default Re: 8th notes and 16th notes

break it down the individual motion.
    slow it way down.
    start by playing a measure of 2. this way you have 4 8th notes on the hats with a backbeat on 2 on the snare. just play that. gte the feel. way slow like down around 60bpm. maybe even slower if you need to.

USE A METRONOME
    start with one single stroke on the kick. start on the down beat of 1. play it for about 2 minutes solid. gte the feel really good.
    Then displace it by a 16th note. you should be on the "e" of one.
    again, play it for about 2 minutes solid, or until the feel is really happening.

displace again. now you are on the "and" of 1.
    continue this process untill all 8 placements of the kick are solid.

hope this helps.
    if you need further dicussion, pm me
    :D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    USE A METRONOME
    I bought one of these on the weekend &, although I've only used it once, it's already helped a heap. Recommended.

User Info Menu

like jazzkat said play slow

also count out aloud if you still have problems understanding where the note is

User Info Menu

Ed, just take it slow, real slow (30-40 bpm) and just loop the beat. 8th note on the hi-hat (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &), snare on the 2 & 4, bass on 1 & 3.... Just keep doing that until you get the groove and then you can try putting the bass on different notes in the 16th. (i.e. 1e and the 3e). Realistically, you need to get comfortable with the basic beat first before you try getting too fancy.

User Info Menu

I would add that you may find it easier to start from the bass drum first. Set the metronome at a low bpm on 16ths, get your foot going and comfortable then add the hi-hat in.

And above all, relax, now that your frustrated, tension will set in as you anticipate the exercise. Just slow down, take a breath and start over. You will get it and be a better drummer for your effort.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I agree that the most important part is to slow down. Slow it down to the point that you can count it, and play it correctly. I also agree with RM, that you should start with your bass drum, then add the hi-hat. Just keep it slow - painfully slow if you have to - until you can do it, then gradually pick up the tempo.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hi Ed

The slowing it down is the best advice indeed for any new skill. Slow it down to each motion. Like.... hh and bass together, hh, hh and snare, bass, hh. This at least gets your mind and muscles on the same page.

I personally use Tabtrax(you can google it). Tabtrax is a computer drum program. I plug in the groove(just click where you want to bass drum for example) I want to learn which only takes seconds. I then slow it down as much as I need to and speed it up when I get the hang of the new groove. Tabtrax is my personal teacher these days. It has improved my understanding of drum notation and walked me though complicated beats I desired to learn. I can't say enough about what a useful tool it is for me.
    Lisa

Psalm 150:5
    Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Drummer at Baptist church
    I like it syncopated and funky

Yamaha Hipgig
    Zildjian Special Dry ride
    Zildjian Constantinople crash
    Paiste 2002 hats
    Promark Crystal Ball beater

User Info Menu

Skeets, like everyone else said, slow it down and also check your PM. I sent you a little info there.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the responses!

Yeah, I have slowed it WAAAYYYY down. I was practicing this one measure for at least an hour and a half at 30-40 BPM. I know I will get it. I just need to keep at it. But I sure hope that once I get it...it stays!

and I have found that a visual metronome is better than an audio only one. I use www.webmetronome.com Showing the numbers definately helps.
    Last edited by skeets; 03-23-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: added stuff

User Info Menu

Everyone here has given the best advice available. Slow it down and count out loud. Also you can break it down and add one part at a time. Start with the bass, and the Hi-hat, then the snare.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

everyone else has said slow it down - so i'm gonna say speed it up - just to be different. Play it so quick you can't even tell then it won't matter
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    everyone else has said slow it down - so i'm gonna say speed it up - just to be different. Play it so quick you can't even tell then it won't matter

Oh and.... ssssslllllllooooowwww iiiiittttt ddddddoooooowwwwwwnnnnnn