Thread: Arranging 3 congas

User Info Menu

Default Arranging 3 congas

I have a 10" and an 11" conga arrange with the 10" on the left and the 11 on the right. I would love to add a 12" conga into the mix so I could get the three tones. If I do that, what is recommended configuration? 10, 11, 12 or 11, 10, 12.

With three drum patterns, are you typically playing the 11 and going to the 10 and 12 for low/high accents?
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Arranging 3 congas

Hey, middy, good question.

In my set-up, I arrange them smallest to largest, left to right, in a sort of "flying-V" configuration. Using your sizes, it would be 10, 11, and 12. Take a look at the pic below and you'll get the idea. If you play bongos as I do, you can set yours between the 11 and the 12 to make alternating between bongos and congas easier...

I start on the 11 and use the 10 for slaps and tumbao accents; the 12 is used for deeper notes...

Of course, man, you can experiment with the drums in different positions and develop your own style... good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Arranging 3 congas

This is really a preference thing, arrange them how they feel right to you. I use a triangle pattern with 3 congas. I'll strattle the quinto with the conga to my right and tumba on the left. There are probably some traditional rhythms that might be easier to play with a certain setup, but all in all there is no set way to arrange your drums.

User Info Menu

I've played around with my four drums for years in different configurations. I started with them set up like drums (I'm right handed) left to right starting with small to large. Lately though I've been playing with my quinto as my main drum right in front of me, my tumba to my right, conga to my left and supert in the middle behind my quinto. I'm getting some interesting patterns.

So - what I'm saying is - maybe look at some of the major players out there and see what they're doing. That's what I did and that's how I came to my latest set-up.

Three drums are nice in any config.,

Kona
    Last edited by kona; 03-24-2009 at 01:08 AM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Might have to try the quinto in the center, since it seems to me most tumbaderos I've watched start in the center and fly off for shots on the conga and the tumba...thanks for the insight, kona...and I've seen four congas set up with the super at the back like yours...

on that "three drums are nice in any configuration"...I play two from to time, but man, it's not the same without that third tumba!

Cheers, bro'...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by midgard View Post
    I have a 10" and an 11" conga arrange with the 10" on the left and the 11 on the right. I would love to add a 12" conga into the mix so I could get the three tones. If I do that, what is recommended configuration? 10, 11, 12 or 11, 10, 12.

With three drum patterns, are you typically playing the 11 and going to the 10 and 12 for low/high accents?
    Hi midgard,

I just got a set of three congas. If you have not played them before set the 10" aside and learn one drum first. The 10" will be too small to learn the basic Tumbao and other hand skills that require more head room. I play my conga 11 3/4" by itself and leave the 11" Quinto and 12" Tumba alone for now until I get good on one drum first.
    Last edited by BongoCajon; 03-28-2009 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

BongoCajon, great advice for someone who's a newbie to conga playing!

Like me, midgard has played congas for quite a while--and, as you saw from one of my earlier responses, we can all learn new riffs from each other.

(and before long, you'll be cookin' on your three! )

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    BongoCajon, great advice for someone who's a newbie to conga playing!

Like me, midgard has played congas for quite a while--and, as you saw from one of my earlier responses, we can all learn new riffs from each other.

(and before long, you'll be cookin' on your three! )
    Thanks bud. This was advised to me by the famous Johnny "JC" Conga from Seattle, Wa who is about 5 hrs. away! He is very talented as you might have seen on his 17 YouTube Videos and he owns a sweet set of 4 Volcano Congas.