Thread: USB Condenser mics

User Info Menu

Default USB Condenser mics

Has anybody used these?

With the one mic drum vid that Capbellj25 posted, I'd like to give this a go.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VISJfkjydqg&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - one mic drum test (getting good drum sound on video)[/ame]

Honestly, I'd love a cad 7 piece mic kit with a mondo fire-wire mixer, But I have to be honest with myself. With the economy the way it is, I can not justify a $600 purchase of recording equipment for a drum-video hobby. I just dropped a ton of cash on a new kit.

So I think my recordings will have to be made one a one mic level.

Cad has a nice USB looking U37 Condenser mic for $69 beans. Has anyone tried it?

Last edited by CycleDude; 03-24-2009 at 08:56 AM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: USB Condenser mics

I think it will be just fine man. Just play with the room acoustics, and position the mic in the best location possible, I watched that video with the guy that only used 1 mic and it sounded incredible, just have some patients finding the sweet spot to place the mic, and your golden.

I have never even heard of a USB mic, but if it a condenser it is probably pretty nice and will do the trick.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    I think it will be just fine man. Just play with the room acoustics, and position the mic in the best location possible, I watched that video with the guy that only used 1 mic and it sounded incredible, just have some patients finding the sweet spot to place the mic, and your golden.

I have never even heard of a USB mic, but if it a condenser it is probably pretty nice and will do the trick.

Patience, huh? Kev... there's a reason I'm a drummer and not a doctor.

I have no patience... LOL!!!

Thanks bud.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post

Thanks bud.
    lol, can't wait to hear the result man.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=DWdrumr;184412] just have some patients finding the sweet spot QUOTE]

dammit jim he's a drummer not a doctor

User Info Menu

There's Klingons on the starboard bow, scrape them off Jim........

H/t to Dr Demento
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I was thinking about the MXL 990 usb condenser. From what i've heard they're pretty good.

User Info Menu

Thanks bud.
    [quote=funkymcstain;184809]
    Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    just have some patients finding the sweet spot QUOTE]

dammit jim he's a drummer not a doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    There's Klingons on the starboard bow, scrape them off Jim........

H/t to Dr Demento
    You know what? Y'all are about as sick as I am... LOL!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

By the way, I just bought the CAD U37 at my local GC.

I returned my drum dial on their 30/30 guaranty, since I found after playing around with it that I could tune the drum just as easily and even better without it. The drum dial is $60, the mic was $69. After my return and adding NJ tax, I only spent $16 tonight.

By the time I got home, it was too late to pound on the drums, but I'll try it out tomorrow hopefully.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Well, I tried it out for just a few minutes today and it worked pretty well. It's sensative to say the least which may work against me being that my room is so live with hard reflective surfaces.

The jury's still out.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

OK, well the jury has deliberated long enough. The verdict is.....

No.

It's very sensitive, and I cant lower the level enough to keep it from peaking and killing the sound. For a vocal or acoustic instrument it would probably do well, but drums are too powerful. It was no better for my needs than the little mic that's built-in to my MAC Book Pro.

Back to the drawing board...
    Last edited by CycleDude; 03-28-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear it didn't work the way you had hoped CycleDude.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think part of the problem is it's a condensor. They are ultra-sensitive to hi freq, (hence they are great for cymbal and small percussive instruments...not to be confused with cussing)

See of you can find a microphone that is not a condensor type.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Sorry to hear it didn't work the way you had hoped CycleDude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I think part of the problem is it's a condensor. They are ultra-sensitive to hi freq, (hence they are great for cymbal and small percussive instruments...not to be confused with cussing)

See of you can find a microphone that is not a condensor type.
    I think part of the problem is I expected too much from too little. So I retuned it for some CAD CM217 condenser mics. They are buy one get one free for $59.99. I have 3 nady sp5 already, so I'll pick up a used mic for the kick and I guess I'm back to the mixer route.

I got the three nady mics for free, and the 2 condensers were $60 for the pair, so I'm still not spending alot. I'll just have to get the stuff piece meal until it's all complete. All that's left are some mounts, cables and a mixer.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 03-28-2009 at 03:23 PM.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

I think part of the problem is I expected too much from too little. So I retuned it for some CAD CM217 condenser mics. They are buy one get one free for $59.99. I have 3 nady sp5 already, so I'll pick up a used mic for the kick and I guess I'm back to the mixer route.

I got the three nady mics for free, and the 2 condensers were $60 for the pair, so I'm still not spending alot. I'll just have to get the stuff piece meal until it's all complete. All that's left are some mounts, cables and a mixer.

So based on your mic count, you probably want a 6-10 channel mixer (non-powered). Take a look at Behringer, Peavey, Mackie or Yamaha. They have a lot of decent choices for inexpensive mixers. Also, if you can find one WITH phantom power, that'll help to achieve seamless integration no matter what mics you end up using.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    So based on your mic count, you probably want a 6-10 channel mixer (non-powered). Take a look at Behringer, Peavey, Mackie or Yamaha. They have a lot of decent choices for inexpensive mixers. Also, if you can find one WITH phantom power, that'll help to achieve seamless integration no matter what mics you end up using.
    That's the exact route I'm taking.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Daz kewl!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

yup. I shoulda just done that from the start, but OTOH, I wouldn't have the experience from trying the different alternatives, and with GC's 30/30 return policy, it's the same money I already spent

So far the same $70 has bought a drum dial, the USB mic and two Cad CM217 overhead condensers. It's kinda like I paid an entry fee to test all this gear and keep exchanging it for other things.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

yup. I shoulda just done that from the start, but OTOH, I wouldn't have the experience from trying the different alternatives, and with GC's 30/30 return policy, it's the same money I already spent

So far the same $70 has bought a drum dial, the USB mic and two Cad CM217 overhead condensers. It's kinda like I paid an entry fee to test all this gear and keep exchanging it for other things.
    You know, I prefer my local drums shops for most things, but not many of them are that easy to return/exchange. Most will work with you, but it sounds like GC is definitely helping get you where you want to be.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

That gives stretching a buck new meaning bro

User Info Menu

you can make a decent sound out of anything. My mate use to use a computer mik for his acoustics on his cd's. It comes down to the type of sound you want and the vst's you use to mix it. Because you can make something sound completely different with vsts and i only wish i could should you all.

If moneys tight, do some searching around, look for brands of companies that have gone bust and just throwing away thier decent gear for a really cheap price. I got some no name drum mics.... they be better than the cads. Cheaper too.... and stronger. Way better pressure responce range.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters