Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zijlian sticks?

User Info Menu

Default zijlian sticks?

a bought a pack of 5A wood zijlian sticks the other day, and they are buzzing reeeaaallly bad. its messing with my wrists(tendinitis anyone?) does any one else have this problem? i usually use vic firth and dont have the same problem

User Info Menu

Default Re: zijlian sticks?

They're probably beginning to splinter apart. I stopped using Zildjians a while ago because they just shatter. I switched to ProMark and Vater, had no problems. Had to use a couple pair of Zildjians in an emergency... they did a good fireworks impression...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I tried Zildjian's Manu Katche model when they were released a few years ago. While they felt great at first, echo the shatter factor. I have no qualms saying that Zildjian sticks absolutely suck.

I've since used Pro Mark and Vic Firth, and have had great luck with the durability of both.

I was let down by Vater a few years back, but they seem to have gotten their act together since.

User Info Menu

Zildjian sticks split at the top, you might not notice it but tip probably hasopenings in it which are giving the buzz.

swithc back to vic firth after that pack or just switch back now. or try another.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Stick with Vic Firth!

User Info Menu

I had the same problem with Zildjiam sticks...kind of lie hitting a baseball with the wrong part of the bat...shock! Interesting that Zildjian are the only brand I've seen that uses rubber shock absorbers on some of their sticks. I have a pair and it helps. However, I always go back to using Vic Firth sticks.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I usually use Vic Firth, or Pro Mark sticks, but recently got a pair of Zildjian Dip sticks, so I'll have to be careful. So far they feel OK, but then I haven't used them too much. I really just got them to see if they felt any better, and I really don't see any big deal.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Well I have a pair of zildjian 5A, and they are fine to me. Not to say I have used them very much so... I don't know.

User Info Menu

primarily I use Zildjian 5a dips. or Vic Firth 5a (nylons both)
    I prefer the Zildjian sticks. No problems as described and I am HITTIN' 'em
    -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 46secondanthem View Post
    a bought a pack of 5A wood zijlian sticks the other day, and they are buzzing reeeaaallly bad. its messing with my wrists(tendinitis anyone?) does any one else have this problem? i usually use vic firth and dont have the same problem
    I never had a pair , Ive always used Regal sticks so I cant offer any reviews on the Zildjians . Switch back to the Vic Firth and if it stops then you know its the sticks .

User Info Menu

I play Vic Firth, Vater, Pro Mark, Hornets or just about any stick in the 7A to 5A range. As long as they are straight and well balanced and have adaquate weight, they work for me.

I did try the Zildjian 5A and 5B Dip Sticks with the purple grips, but they rubbed my hands too much, so I gave them up.

I do have a crutch that I've been using for four or five months now. It's the Zildjian Heavy Jazz sticks. They're a bit heavier and longer than a 7A and feel really good in my hands.

Dennis

User Info Menu

vater, vic firth and pro mark is the way to go
    Got to stop hitting my self in the face with those drumsticks!!

User Info Menu

What kind of wood does Zildjian use in their sticks? I have had the same isues as described with all maple sicks. Hickory is far and wide the best stick wood IMO.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hmmm I have one pair of Zildjian sticks, which are my lucky concert/audition sticks... Superstitious eh? I haven't had any problem with those, but then again they only touch snare drums. Other than that I only use Vic Firth, but I only use those and Sound Percussion sticks. Most of the other drummers at school haven't really had any problem with Zildjian sticks as far as I know, could just be the individual pair of sticks.
    My Set:
    5 Piece PDP FS series
    Joey Jordison Signature Snare
    Sabian B8 14", 18" Thin Crashes
    Sabian B8 16" Thin Crash Dented Edition
    Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hi-Hats
    Sabian B8 20" Ride
    Paiste Innovative 20" Heavy Ride
    Jhmeg2 Über Ride 20" Special Edition

User Info Menu

I LOVE the feel of Zildjian stix. The problem I have with them is that they splinter-EVERY TIME. I always go back to pro-mark or Vic Firth.

User Info Menu

Ginger Baker endorses, or used to the Ginger Baker signature 7A.

Ginger could make a lot of noise with a pair of toothpicks!!

User Info Menu

i love the DIP sticks, but the 5's shatter on me. i also have a pair of the Rock DIP, i believe they are 2's and they are great...my favorite sticks to date.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I used to use Zildjian 7A sticks, but I use Vic Firth 7As now...I'm not completely sure why I made the switch. I think I needed some new sticks and they didn't have the Zildjian's, so I went for the Vic's and just stuck with them
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

its not everyones style because they are made of alluminium but if you get a pair of Aahead sticks they will last you a long time

User Info Menu

I have use Vic Firth and Pulse sticks never have tried the Zs

User Info Menu

zildjian sticks are alright, but i prefer vic-firth

User Info Menu

I havent used zildjian sticks but if your looking for a brand to switch to I would suggest vater then vic firth then pro mark because vater sticks feel great and last forever and vic firth are also great but not "my" stick then pro marks are fine nothing bad nor great about them to me except one bad thing...they shed a lot of wood and I mean tons thats why I dont use them anymore.

User Info Menu

Ive always used Vid Firth and always will :P

User Info Menu

Vic* Firth

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I usually use Vic Firth, or Pro Mark sticks, but recently got a pair of Zildjian Dip sticks, so I'll have to be careful. So far they feel OK, but then I haven't used them too much. I really just got them to see if they felt any better, and I really don't see any big deal.

I've used them only twice in the past PB - you may remember quite a while ago I mentioned them in a thread about gloves, grip tape etc...

Anyways, The first pair didn't seem to have any real problem, but did eventually become unusable due to chipping and denting around the top of the shaft. The second pair shattered after only using them for a few weeks - I was very annoyed. One of the only times I have ever broken a stick. The funny thing is the first pair were the smaller and lghter 7A's, while the second pair were 5A's

Anyways, I recently switched to ProMark - exellent weight, feel, no problems with the nylon tips flying off like I have had with Vic Firths but just watch those Zlidjians PB - as you can see a few of us have had the same problem.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?