Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Church band ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Church band ?

Jars of Clay has done an album of hymns (Redemption Songs) and spiced them up. The Brentwood Jazz Quartet has an album out with hymns. If you go to the Itunes store and look for Gospel or contemporary Christian genres you can find a lot of hymns done in a variety of styles.

User Info Menu

I play for our church too. We play during the mass itself, entrance and communion hymns, etc.

Someone said before about how it can consume you and he's right. I really feel like I'm part of something special when I play there.

It's hard to talk church drumming and respect the forum rules about religion, but it is said that music is the highest form of prayer. I feel like I am helping others in a way with their prayers, while at the same time I can connect with my faith on a level that is more meaningful to me than reciting chapters and verses.

A short anecdote..... I was a hard rock/metal drummer for years and had more hair than my wife back in the day. My mother-in-law thought I was the devil's seventh son when she saw me for the first time with the hair and the leather and even worse... a KISS T-shirt! *shudders* LOL!

My wife told her "Ma, relax. It's probably gonna be one of those 2 week things. It's not like I'm gonna marry him or anything..."

I reminded them both of that on our wedding day.

Now I am a church drummer. I guess Mom's prayers were answered! LOL!!!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

PB, that's cool that you're putting together a contemporary service!

I too play in church, and have played in many churches. The church I play at now (and for the last 6 months) is very progressive, and we keep it very upbeat. We play a lot of more recent stuff, like Hillsong United, Jeremy Camp, Chris Tomlin, Paul Baloche, Third Day, etc.

For those of you who have not experienced today's CCM or Christian Contemporary Music, the title encompasses nearly every genre that secular music does. In fact, like others that I know here, I also play in a Christian rock band/ministry, and believe me if not for the lyrics you could not tell our music from a hard rock/funk band. But the lyrics are what it's really all about, because it's about praise and worship.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I play for our church too. We play during the mass itself, entrance and communion hymns, etc.

Someone said before about how it can consume you and he's right. I really feel like I'm part of something special when I play there.

It's hard to talk church drumming and respect the forum rules about religion, but it is said that music is the highest form of prayer. I feel like I am helping others in a way with their prayers, while at the same time I can connect with my faith on a level that is more meaningful to me than reciting chapters and verses.

A short anecdote..... I was a hard rock/metal drummer for years and had more hair than my wife back in the day. My mother-in-law thought I was the devil's seventh son when she saw me for the first time with the hair and the leather and even worse... a KISS T-shirt! *shudders* LOL!

My wife told her "Ma, relax. It's probably gonna be one of those 2 week things. It's not like I'm gonna marry him or anything..."

ROFL..sounds like my mother in law. I pulled up on a gsxr 1000 , Maiden shirt,covered in tattoo's and hair down to the crack of my behind.16 yrs later the only thing missing is the motorcycle.

User Info Menu

Pretty cool. You all get to play a real big variety of stuff doing 2 things ya love.I wonder why ya don't see or hear of anything like this around here.Maybe it does happen, just in a smaller scale.

ThePloughman Guest

The number one obstacle I am going to encounter in this new place is not so much a resistence to change, but an overall apathy towards the dedication needed to make it a team. The last place I played in church we had a strictly adhered to weekly practice schedule, and honestly, after ten years of that kind of practice and playing together... we were pretty tight as a group. That transfers immediately every sunday morning to a better worship experience for everyone. No amount of prayer will provide that, only discipline in practice. And conversely, no amount of practice can replace the spiritual preperation each team member must have that can only be gained through prayer.

The first hurdle I have to conquer will be a set practice schedule. I can handle being really laid back on the drums and easing into this transition so that it is an all around positive experience for all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
    Dont get discouraged, churches are like big boats, they can be steered but it takes a while for them to change direction. Peace bro <><
    A perfect analogy EW! And if you turn 'em too fast, they'll capsize!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Been playing in Church and Christian bands for many, many years. Been there and done or been thru most of what everyone is sharing and all I can add is it ain't about us remember this evertime things are not going the way you think it should !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    The number one obstacle I am going to encounter in this new place is not so much a resistence to change, but an overall apathy towards the dedication needed to make it a team. The last place I played in church we had a strictly adhered to weekly practice schedule, and honestly, after ten years of that kind of practice and playing together... we were pretty tight as a group. That transfers immediately every sunday morning to a better worship experience for everyone. No amount of prayer will provide that, only discipline in practice. And conversely, no amount of practice can replace the spiritual preperation each team member must have that can only be gained through prayer.

The first hurdle I have to conquer will be a set practice schedule. I can handle being really laid back on the drums and easing into this transition so that it is an all around positive experience for all.
    That will be my greatest concern for the musicians at my church Ploughman. I am going to contact other area churches, and our local university to see if there are other praise bands that would be willing to help us get started. I am also hoping that these other praise bands can have a positive influence on our musicians when they find out there is regular practice required.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Been playing in Church and Christian bands for many, many years. Been there and done or been thru most of what everyone is sharing and all I can add is it ain't about us remember this evertime things are not going the way you think it should !!
    Very true.

AMEN

-Les

User Info Menu

I has no idea CD! That is awesome..Alot to be gained playing Praise and worship music. It's all I do now.

User Info Menu

Our church has a contemporary service one Sunday per month . We have a contemporary praise band that will play contemporary style Christian music instead of the normal hymns.

They have a set time for practice , every Monday night from 7-8 PM and they will go over all the songs they are playing an hour before their scheduled service .

I dont play in the praise band , but myself and several members in my family play as a group and ever since our church has heard us play , we have been asked to come out and play for different church functions .

User Info Menu

I play for our church too.

that music is the highest form of prayer. I feel like I am helping others in a way with their prayers, while at the same time I can connect with my faith.

Me too! Playing in church is awesome! My mother-in-law thought the same of me even though I was an Associate Pastor because I still have hair as long as my wife's.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

There ARE a lot of you who play Church services. Several in my big band also play Church services and they seems to really enjoy it. I go to 8:30 Sunday morning service that is in the ancient Latin Roman Catholic. The most musical it gets is the occasional Gregorian chant.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Ah, tradition!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    I has no idea CD! That is awesome..Alot to be gained playing Praise and worship music. It's all I do now.
    Oh yeah. That's actually how I started to play again. I put my sticks away about 10 years ago because of the new baby. Well, now the new baby is 9 and a half and singing in the childrens choir at church.

She told the music director that her dad played the drums and he asked me to play at mass. I respectfully declined because I hadn't played in so long that I didn't want to ruin the music at a mass.

He talked me into it and now I have a new drum kit, a new mic, an amp for the ekit..... I never dreamed that Sunday mass would be my favorite time of the week!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Wow this is awesome I knew there were a few church drummers on here but I had no Idea there were so many. Someone mentioned a regular practice schedule and I must say that out worship team has that down. We basically re-structured a year ago when the previous pasteor and his wife left, he was the drummer and his wife was the worship leader. When they left I became the youth pastor and drummer, even though I'd only been playing for a month, and we had some other members of the congregation step up for singing and piano. We struggled at first and weren't practicing on a regular basis but then we pulled it together and most of us feel out of sorts if we don't have our thursday practice.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

They need to hear Amazing Grace played to the melody of The Lion Sleeps Tonight!
    Amazing Grace also works to the tune of House of the Rising Sun also
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I don't currently play in church. Im somewhat of a backup plan. The pastors daughter plays. She was there before me so it's only fair. I fill in when she isn't there or the youth have something going on. The cool thing is I never know when that will be. It helps me focus to not know what we are playing until I get behind the kit.
    I have hooked up with a couple of folks and we are trying to get a music ministry going for prisons, youth centers, ect.... I should be able to get my fix when we get it going.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    I don't currently play in church. Im somewhat of a backup plan. The pastors daughter plays. She was there before me so it's only fair. I fill in when she isn't there or the youth have something going on. The cool thing is I never know when that will be. It helps me focus to not know what we are playing until I get behind the kit.
    I have hooked up with a couple of folks and we are trying to get a music ministry going for prisons, youth centers, ect.... I should be able to get my fix when we get it going.
    Very cool Dawg! My band is playing at a prison in April, and we may do another one in June....well, it's a captive audience, right? But seriously, it sure is an opportunity to reach some people who need it. Let me know when you get to that point and maybe I can help you to know what to expect.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I have hooked up with a couple of folks and we are trying to get a music ministry going for prisons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Very cool Dawg! My band is playing at a prison in April, and we may do another one in June....well, it's a captive audience, right? But seriously, it sure is an opportunity to reach some people who need it.
    I am a Texas state certified prison chaplain. Ive been going to state and fed prisons to minister and drum for over two years now. Very rewarding.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

That is awesome DK..I am starting to re-network myself to start up or join an established ministry..For me it's the best reason to be a drummer!

-Les

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Church band ?

Hey! I'm still pre-Geritol! Not a lot "pre," but pre just the same!
    Watch who you're calling "pre-Geritol"--I resemble that remark!

I have played hand drums in the guitar ensemble at our Catholic church for nearly seven years. Yeah, you read right. Our parish priest is a curious combination of Catholic theology and Protestant delivery--he can get revved up as well as any Baptist preacher I've ever seen!

In this "off-beat" atmosphere, our guitar group fits in beautifully. Our leader and keyboard player works with a bassist, rhythm guitarist, flautist (flute player) and yours truly on bongos and congas. We play a mixture of traditional liturgical music, contemporary Catholic music and even some stuff you'd expect to hear in a worship band setting, such as "Soon and Very Soon."

As the only percussionist in the group, my hands get a workout on the skins most every week, but we don't "bang on the drums all day." Many of our songs, particularly during Advent and Lent, have no percussion at all, and we work on vocal harmonies that sound as awesome as any traditional choir, if I do say so.

I also sing in the adult choir, so there are times I've played hand drums in both groups, with equal success... while it may not pay like a secular gig, the side benefits are heavenly...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck