Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Church band ?

User Info Menu

Default Church band ?

I've noticed a lot of you play for/at church and was curious how it works.Is it music during church or after service ppl hang out to hear ya play?I've never seen or heard of church bands around here.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Church band ?

At my church we play music while people come into the sanctuary and socialize. Once the service starts we play 3 songs, after the sermon we do 3 more songs. Lastly we play music while people are leaving the sanctuary. The 6 songs we play during service include the congregation singing along. The music is anything from rock, funk to blues.

I don't have to set up or tear down. The drums remain in the sanctuary. All I do is throw the snares off and walk away. So easy and yet I get to play in service to God which is what matters to me most.
    Lisa

Psalm 150:5
    Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Drummer at Baptist church
    I like it syncopated and funky

Yamaha Hipgig
    Zildjian Special Dry ride
    Zildjian Constantinople crash
    Paiste 2002 hats
    Promark Crystal Ball beater

User Info Menu

Oh cool. I was wondering how it worked. That explains it. Welcome to the Forum by the way Lisa...So how do ya choose what to play? or is there set music that ya play?...again, I'm from Boston we don't have as big of a church type setting here as the mid-west, or down south.The accoustics must be nice playing in a church ha.

User Info Menu

I have alot of fun with it honestly, it's really stress free and the cool thing about worship music is that it some time consumes what you are doing, it becomes effortless and lot of fun!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I gotta agree with Fades Away. It's so much fun! We practice on thursday and then again on sunday morning right before church. We have a "leader" who pics the songs each week, usually 3-4 faster songs and then 5-6 slower songs for prayer time. And the part about it becoming effortless is very true if your doing it for the right reasons. I could have the worst practice ever and then when we are actually playing in church for worship, things just come together. Remember the purpose for worship is to reflect God's glory back to him and allow him to move in the service. As long as your there to worship God and not show off your mad drumming skills, he will take care of you.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I'm getting ready to kick off a contemporary service at our church on Sunday evening. I can't wait to get it going! Although I enjoy traditional hymns, my favorite music is contemporary Christian music.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

At my church we just get up there and play for the church. Music can reach really deep
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

I'm getting ready to kick off a contemporary service at our church on Sunday evening. I can't wait to get it going! Although I enjoy traditional hymns, my favorite music is contemporary Christian music.

Way to go PB !!

User Info Menu

Nice job PB. We do mostly contemporary music at our church. Every once in a while we will break out some songs from a hymnal to keep the geritol crowd happy but our Pastor is very contemporary and he likes it that way.

I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

BTW I don't like doing the old hymnal songs cause I'm not real good at the old "boom-pop" type of beats.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

We have a worship leader who picks out the music. While we play mostly contemporary songs, sometimes we do hymns but with a bit of a beat. It might be done in a rock, jazzy, swing, blues, celtic style. It depends on the song and what type of atmosphere the leader wants. Like others have said, if done for the right reason, it is a great experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by topdog63 View Post
    Nice job PB. We do mostly contemporary music at our church. Every once in a while we will break out some songs from a hymnal to keep the geritol crowd happy but our Pastor is very contemporary and he likes it that way.

Geritol crowd....don't talk about Pastor Bob that way !!! HAHAHA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Geritol crowd....don't talk about Pastor Bob that way !!! HAHAHA
    Hey! I'm still pre-Geritol! Not a lot "pre," but pre just the same!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

ThePloughman Guest

Just recently started a new church gig.... and am loving it. Drums are an entirely new thing at this church and they are making a transition from an entirely traditional hymn based congregational worship to a more modern style. Its something to grow with, expand on, and pure enjoyment. I havent gotten to the place yet where I am leaving my kit at the church, there are some other issues that need to be worked out..... but once that happens, I will have a kit there full time.

User Info Menu

I've played drums in church for years - in fact it's where i learnt to play. UNtil recently it was my only band experience.

Anyways, it's never been new to me, I guess becuase I've always been in what I guess are considered fairly "progressive" churches, at least musicallly..
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

BTW I don't like doing the old hymnal songs cause I'm not real good at the old "boom-pop" type of beats.
    You don't have to do the old "Boom-pop" to the old hymns there are a lot of ways to play them that are much more interesting. Many lend themselves to a marching snare type of treatment, and some can be played with rock beats.

We have a contemporary service, where we occasionally with through in some of the old hymns, along with the Praise and Worship, and more contemporary Christian Music. We normally do the older hymns with simplified harmonies to make them easier to play on guitar (as opposed to the traditional hymn arrangements that tend to change chords on every note). I've had a lot of fun, and gotten a lot of enjoyment out of playing music of all kinds over the years, but Playing for Church is the best.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I would love to get back into playing on a church worship team again!

-Les

User Info Menu

We do 5 praise songs at the beginning, and the piano player plays for the two traditional hymns during service. Being of the reformed tradition, we watch the lyrics close. There are getting to be too many horizontal praise tunes, instead of vertical, IOHO.......(first O=our),we call it up with people. We(our church leadership) try and maintain a vertical focus throughout the service. It's not about what we get, it's about what we bring/add. It was a lesson learned when I realized Sunday morning ain't about me.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    You don't have to do the old "Boom-pop" to the old hymns there are a lot of ways to play them that are much more interesting. Many lend themselves to a marching snare type of treatment, and some can be played with rock beats.
    I can't get the piano player to play them any differently and when I try to vary the beat everyone looks at me like I'm nuts, like "You can't change that it's not supposed to sound that way." No one gets that you can change songs. I get frustrated sometimes but then I have to remember it's not about me.

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Just recently started a new church gig.... and am loving it. Drums are an entirely new thing at this church and they are making a transition from an entirely traditional hymn based congregational worship to a more modern style. Its something to grow with, expand on, and pure enjoyment. I havent gotten to the place yet where I am leaving my kit at the church, there are some other issues that need to be worked out..... but once that happens, I will have a kit there full time.
    Congrats on being able to help this church Ploughman! May you be blessed!

I can't get the piano player to play them any differently and when I try to vary the beat everyone looks at me like I'm nuts, like "You can't change that it's not supposed to sound that way." No one gets that you can change songs. I get frustrated sometimes but then I have to remember it's not about me.
    They need to hear Amazing Grace played to the melody of The Lion Sleeps Tonight!

User Info Menu

They need to hear Amazing Grace played to the melody of The Lion Sleeps Tonight!
    Or to the tune of House of the Rising Sun!

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Or even the Guilligan's Island theme. Not sacrilegious, just different melodies - as long as it doesn't become a distraction from the lyrics.

User Info Menu

There's a group affiliated with our denomination called RUF, and they have redone a whole bunch of hymns. We use their stuff all the time. One of my faves in Come Ye Sinners. Great lyrics with modern melodys and chords. what could be better!!!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Haha, coming from someone who has played piano for 16 years, about 8 of that in church bands, forget the piano player haha! You can play louder than they can, and it always sounds like they arent following you, instead of vice versa
    In my experience, pretty much any hymn that is in 4 can be played as reagge, reaggeton, or a shuffle. Depending on how the words are structured, and whether you have a lead singer who isnt gonna be thrown off by the different rhythm, the songo, or variations can work, and country shuffle is always a good standbye . Dont get discouraged, churches are like big boats, they can be steered but it takes a while for them to change direction. Peace bro <><

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
    Haha, coming from someone who has played piano for 16 years, about 8 of that in church bands, forget the piano player haha! You can play louder than they can, and it always sounds like they arent following you, instead of vice versa
    In my experience, pretty much any hymn that is in 4 can be played as reagge, reaggeton, or a shuffle. Depending on how the words are structured, and whether you have a lead singer who isnt gonna be thrown off by the different rhythm, the songo, or variations can work, and country shuffle is always a good standbye . Dont get discouraged, churches are like big boats, they can be steered but it takes a while for them to change direction. Peace bro <><
    I love that I think I'm gonna put it in my sig. And BTW Welcome Enderwiggin!

Zildjian League