Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mallet Mania!

User Info Menu

Default Mallet Mania!

I'm a super mallet nerd are there any more out there?????????

jarhead Guest

why mallets?

User Info Menu

because they're fun well to me anyway.
    4-mallets 4eva!!!

jarhead Guest

you mean you like the actual mallets or like playing xylaphone and stuff?

User Info Menu

ya, do u mean u use them for drums?? or for mallet percussion like vibs, marimba, and the xylopone

User Info Menu

Cool Mallet Mania!

Actually, mallets can be used on drums and cymbals for special effects (you might see them used in a symphony for thundering effects, and not necessarily on tympani)...I have a friend who's a big-band leader and he uses mallets on his floor toms for dramatic effects on some of his tunes; he also plays xylophone and vibes...

And why mallets? Why not mallets? No different than a dude who prefers heavy metal to acoustic rock or a dude who prefers hand percussion to drumkit...

That's the cool part--we all play percussion but we play different ways!

da_drummer_girl rocks, just like the rest of us!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I mean both mallets in marimba, xylaphone, and vibes, and mallets for cymbals and drums. They're just fun to use

And thanks for saying I rock bongobro =P
    4-mallets 4eva!!!

User Info Menu

I used too when I was in high school. I would play with 5 mallets. 2 in my left and 3 in my right. The percussion ensemble I was in was very good and we traveled around a little bit.

User Info Menu

Oh, I thought you said Mullet Mania. I was all exited for a minute.

User Info Menu

lol that's funny Roaddebris xD
    4-mallets 4eva!!!

User Info Menu

I do have mallets that I use for a couple songs. Usually, I will use a mallet in my left hand and a brush in my right. It makes your cymbals really suttle and is a heck of a lot better than using a stick on my conga that's on the left side of my kit.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Smile

I LOVE mallets! They rock!!

User Info Menu

Vibes, Marimba, and Orchestral Chimes. I am kindof a big guy so it looks rediculus when I play bells or anything smaller then tri octave xilos. I love marimba and vibes. They the most beautiful sounding instruments ever!
    ~John K.~

User Info Menu

anyone that dosent like mallets should be beatenuntil they get some sense in their heads just kidding

User Info Menu

Ooooh! ME ME ME! I'm a super mallet nerd too. Recently I've picked up on the 4 mallet technique. I'm currently saving to buy an electronic xylophone that i can use at home and with my drum set. (just like neil peart )

Ever heard of or played the song fandango for mallets & band by Oscar Stover?
    Today my band teacher handed me that and made me sight read that piece full tempo in class. I did soooooooo horrible. But i think ive got it down pretty good now.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

So, Da Drummer Girl, what's you're favorite type? Which mallet do you use the most?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pikpoket
    So, Da Drummer Girl, what's you're favorite type? Which mallet do you use the most?
    that's a very hard question there pikpoket. And I've never heard of fandango actually. Have you heard of afta stuba (sequal to stubernic [sorry if I butchured that])???? That's a sweet marimba piece that requires 3 players, and it's really REALLY long (o.o). Played it last year.
    4-mallets 4eva!!!

User Info Menu

any of you heard of or played on a MalletKAT? They're electronic xylophones (neil peart has one) and i was thinking about buying one. Any suggestions on this?
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Hey mallet girl. I'm from Australia and I would like to chat to any drummer about improving my mallet technique. Currently I only own a two 1/2 octave xylophone and a two 1/2 glockenspiel (a proper orchestral $600 AUD job, not a toy) What do you own as far as mallet instruments go?

User Info Menu

MalletKat? Yah, now that you mention it, I played one at a drum clinic last January, very, very realistic sound, great response, rather realistic.
    any of you heard of or played on a MalletKAT? They're electronic xylophones (neil peart has one) and i was thinking about buying one. Any suggestions on this?
    Whats the pricetag on something like that?
    They sound really, really wild, completely costomisable interface.
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Whats the pricetag on something like that?
    They sound really, really wild, completely costomisable interface.[/QUOTE]

i think thye go for around 5,000 or higher i dont know for a fact ill let you know in a little bit

User Info Menu

i just checked they go for $2239 and some change

User Info Menu

Jeez, thats steep, AHH!
    Actually, in the big scope of things...I digress, maybe not that pricey for a piece of electronics like that...
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

check e-bay and see how much they cost might be a little cheper who knows

User Info Menu

i just checked e-bay theres only one its going for $1,250.00 so its a little cheper so check it out and good luck with that