Thread: Could you guys..

User Info Menu

Default Could you guys..

Check out the videos of the band, and tell me what you think? Give me some pointers and tell me what you think is good/bad

Please,
    Fred

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suTtZaQ1yRE"]YouTube - Atricide- Stand up(LIVE)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpU4G3qnGh4&feature=related"]YouTube - Atricide- Flying in the Dark(LIVE)[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Could you guys..

Fred,

You sound decent for a HS band. The biggest thing I can think of is really about the guitarists. I think you might need the two guitarists to differentiate their sound a little more.

Right now the overall mix is very bassy. One of the guitarists might want to get more of a "razor" guitar sound. We had this problem when we were young as well, and it's still there some, and it makes a big difference in sound.

When you play the heavier stuff, it becomes easy to have too much of a "wall of sound" going on.

Also, the people up front might want to work on not just standing there, but work on their stage presence. But that comes with time.

That's the only real advice I can give. Nice job. You are certainly no worse than we were at your age, and probably better. (Hard to remember that long ago LOL).
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Hey Fred,

I have to say overall, very nice job! Your drumming looks very fluid and smooth, and you seem very much at home and relaxed behind the kit. I enjoyed seeing/hearing you play a lot! I really liked the way you integrated the cowbell a couple of times in the first song, LOL. But seriously it was a great effect! As in most cases with a good drummer, you really do help the band to sound better.

I will agree with Kaos....the guitarists need to be playing something different at times, and more stage presence would definitely help. With the lead singer it's hard for him to be moving around much since he's playing and singing at the same time, so Anna needs to be able to move around a little more, just to break things up. Your bass player looks like he's in his own world having a great time, like most bass players - ask BLD.

Ending on the first song needs a little work, it was a bit rough. Second song you sped up a bit on the tempo, nothing major since we all have a tendency to do that in front of an audience, but again, the sound was good, the drums sounded great - and hey, we drummers have a tendency to focus more on the drumming so I have to say you did an excellent job!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

LOSE the cowbell...!!!

seriously though, Cool stuff, keep at it. The second tune sounds like it should be doubled up. And tell the bass player to get a hair cut...........Young Ruffian.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Fred,

You sound decent for a HS band. The biggest thing I can think of is really about the guitarists. I think you might need the two guitarists to differentiate their sound a little more.

Right now the overall mix is very bassy. One of the guitarists might want to get more of a "razor" guitar sound. We had this problem when we were young as well, and it's still there some, and it makes a big difference in sound.

When you play the heavier stuff, it becomes easy to have too much of a "wall of sound" going on.

Also, the people up front might want to work on not just standing there, but work on their stage presence. But that comes with time.

That's the only real advice I can give. Nice job. You are certainly no worse than we were at your age, and probably better. (Hard to remember that long ago LOL).

Thanks!!

What do you mean by a razor sound tough?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    LOSE the cowbell...!!!

seriously though, Cool stuff, keep at it. The second tune sounds like it should be doubled up. And tell the bass player to get a hair cut...........Young Ruffian.

NEVER LOSE THE COWBELL!!! Okay, I'm stupid what does "Doubled up" mean LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    Thanks!!

What do you mean by a razor sound tough?
    I'd have to think of specific bands. The old 80's alt/punk band Husker Du is probably the first to use the sound. Right now your two guitars are both really low crunchy sounds, which blend with the bass, and it gets hard to differentiate between it all.

Since you are playing the heavier stuff, listen to Rise Against. You'll hear one crunchy low Les Paul style sound, and one kind of higher, tighter, but still crunchy sound. The two guitars are a Les Paul and SG, coincidentally.

Hope that helps. I'll try to think of more specifics to help since we've been plagued with the same problem for years.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    LOSE the cowbell...!!!
    Don't pretend you don't own at least one cowbell, we all do. By no means bring it within 4 yards proximity of your kit, of course.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Drumming was solid, nice job but as tends to happen they're overpowering the other instruments a bit.

The answer could be as simple as a bit more volume on the guitars.

Guitars might also be getting lost in the mix especially in the first song. Try boosting your mids a bit, (particularly the lead guitar) that will help cut through the mix and be heard. WAY to many guitarists scoop their mids these days. Mids are what make you heard.

It might also help to think about, perhaps detuning the guitars a half step (say to Eb standard if your currently in standard tuning), this will give you a heavy sound and may stop the guitars being cancelled out by the Drum freq's.

Other than that, great work! very enjoyable songs and playing in general. Try and work on stage presence, but not at the cost of performance.
    Drums & Hardware
    Mapex Q Series Fusion 5pce / PDP SX 13x5" Acylic Snare / Coated EC2, Genera Dry, EMAD2 / Gibraltar 6607 Hi Hat Stand / Pearl P120 Pedal / Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Pedal / Mapex B323A Cymbal Stands.
    Cymbals
    Stagg Myra 20" Crash (Ride) / Sabian B8 18" Med Crash / Meinl HCS 16" Crash / 10" Stagg Myra Splash / 14" Zildjian A Custom Hi Hat.
    Other
    Vic Firth 5A Sticks / Korg Beatlab Metronome / HQ Soundoff Mutes / Gator Bags (Drum & Hardware) / Rockbag Bag (Cymbals & Sticks)

User Info Menu

Fred, You guys sounded really good. I agree with the others that the sound was a bit muddy, and the guitars should have a brighter sound to seperate them from the bass.

Your playing was quite good, and I really enjoyed the break in the second song when you cut to half time from straight time.

Also, Slash called..... he wants his hat back. LOL!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

You could have one switch to a strat. One of my fave blues bands has both a gibson(humbuckers) and a Strat single coil(thin nasally whiny tone that mixes well with something with some......b............meat on its bone!!

But then I'm a tad biased!!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I enjoyed your drumming fred pretty awesome. Your guitarists looked a little shy though hehe
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

oh and why do you call your band Attricide, any story behind it? my first impression was with '-cide' suffix which I thought you're trying to kill something!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    oh and why do you call your band Attricide, any story behind it? my first impression was with '-cide' suffix which I thought you're trying to kill something!
    It means nothing, and were not a KILL EVERYTHING band haha. We just thought it sounded cool

User Info Menu

Fredr,

The guitar and bass issue are already addressed. For me the vocalist just does not cut it. He sounds like he is forcing it, his voice does not sound natural i.e. the range and genre he is singing does not match the voice. His spekaing voice is clearly that of a young boy and not husky enough to carry the vocals he is trying to force out. He could pull off a rock ballad type genre but right now metal is not for him and he could rip his vocal chords apart early if he is not carefull. He is using the vocal chords to much vice the abdomine and diaphram. He may simply be better at the guitar and you may want to seek out a new front man. Stage presessence was a bit dull as well.

I know you are all starting out but it is best to give you the down and dirty upfront vice sugar coat things. Far as genre and overall effort, I would say you are doing well. I liked the drums, you seemed in time and you actually looked like you were having fun.

Again the vocalist is not for me, he sounds like he is in the rest room if you understand where I am coming from. You will only get so far with that type of voice.
    Last edited by Tazmania; 03-25-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Larrysperf Guest

Truth I really enjoyed your playing didnt like the sound of guitars as they all sounded like 1 singer I wont go there. But overall good Nuff said

User Info Menu

Fred , listen to rat when he says get your hair cut , darn kids.

Dont listen to rat when he says ditch the buffalo bell .

I listened to the first vid last night but didnt get a chance to view the second one yet . I dont think it was too bad over-all either .

Do you guys know any Johnny Cash tunes ?

User Info Menu

Hey Fred...I'll defer to the others about the guitars, mixing and all that good stuff. As for your drumming. good work! You are comfortable, have good control of the kit and utilize your playing very well to make the band more solid. The only thing that I was thinking about were the toms. As you know, I play big band jazz and that means that I tune the toms to a higher and more pronounced pitch. There is a definite interval between my toms and you can hear the difference. But, I can appreciate why Rock drummers favor a lower pitch...it gets more In-Your-Face that way. My point here is that I couldn't hear a lot of difference between your small tom and the floor tom. Don't mind me, that's the Jazz player in me. You're a fine drummer!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Could you guys..

Fred, LOVED IT! I agree with the guitarists needing to changed their eq, but I think from where it was being recorded, it is why it sounded bassy. Mike sounds really good, too. Have you guys considered having the girl sing, too?? It could give you guys a lot more to offer. I do like your stuff a lot!!

User Info Menu

Fred
    Solid drumming. Some good imagination esp in the first vid.
    Very much agree that you need to tighten up your tom heads a bit and get some more tone and not just thud.
    I recomend you learn some Led Zep to improve on your foot technique. Nothing wrong with what your doing, on the contrary, I see great potential.
    Takes me back 25 years.
    Thanks, Fred.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!