Thread: quarter note triplet help

User Info Menu

Default quarter note triplet help

So my teacher was going over one part singles today and I'm having trouble counting /playing the quarter note triplets. Somehow I end up with the strokes landing on beats 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3 and it's making me crazy.

any tips for counting out these triplets? I have no problems with 8th and 16th triplets but I'm stuck on the quarters.

User Info Menu

Default Re: quarter note triplet help

If you know what you're trying to play and just can't get it right I would simply say to practice it over and over 'til you're comfortable with it and perhaps play with a metronome. Sorry I can't offer anything more helpful

User Info Menu

Quad... Quarter note triplets are the basis of Jazz and poly-rhythmic playing. There are two ways of playing it: On 1 and 3 and on 2 and 4. To illustrate with the counting...count out loud one measure of triplets: One -Trip - Let Two-Trip-Let Three-Trip-Let Four-Trip-Let (written as 1TL 2TL 3TL 4TL). As you count out loud, clap your hands together beginning on count One and clap every other count of the Triplet: 1 (T) L (2) T (L) 3 (T) L (4) T (L). This is playing the One and Three. When you get comfortable counting and playing it, you then play the quarter Triplet with your left hand while playing 1 2 3 4 with your right hand. When you do this, you can hear a 3 beat pattern over a 4 beat pattern at the same time. The other method is to begin playing on the Trip count of 1 and alternating as above. Now you get
    (1)T(L) 2(T)L (3)T(L) 4(T)L. With this fashion, you get both hands playing on the 2 and 4 beats of the Jazz cymbal ride pattern. The Quarter Triplet pattern can further develop into playing 4 over 6 OR 6 over 4, depending on the emphasis you give the pulse. Steve Smith discusses and demonstrates this concept in his DVD: Drum Set Technique. It's not as hard as it may seem. The trick is to count the Triplet pattern out loud so that you can hear where each stroke falls in with the beat. Hope this helps.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

get used to singing the parts ya wanna nail,

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep working on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo EL SUAVE RATA GATO Creative artistic open minded drummer artist cat within great wisdom aware-ness knowledge *
    FORSURE EXCELLENTE' amigo***Gracias

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quad... Quarter note triplets are the basis of Jazz and poly-rhythmic playing. There are two ways of playing it: On 1 and 3 and on 2 and 4. To illustrate with the counting...count out loud one measure of triplets: One -Trip - Let Two-Trip-Let Three-Trip-Let Four-Trip-Let (written as 1TL 2TL 3TL 4TL). As you count out loud, clap your hands together beginning on count One and clap every other count of the Triplet: 1 (T) L (2) T (L) 3 (T) L (4) T (L). This is playing the One and Three. When you get comfortable counting and playing it, you then play the quarter Triplet with your left hand while playing 1 2 3 4 with your right hand. When you do this, you can hear a 3 beat pattern over a 4 beat pattern at the same time. The other method is to begin playing on the Trip count of 1 and alternating as above. Now you get
    (1)T(L) 2(T)L (3)T(L) 4(T)L. With this fashion, you get both hands playing on the 2 and 4 beats of the Jazz cymbal ride pattern. The Quarter Triplet pattern can further develop into playing 4 over 6 OR 6 over 4, depending on the emphasis you give the pulse. Steve Smith discusses and demonstrates this concept in his DVD: Drum Set Technique. It's not as hard as it may seem. The trick is to count the Triplet pattern out loud so that you can hear where each stroke falls in with the beat. Hope this helps.
    ..nicely said

User Info Menu

Ditto!!!!!

User Info Menu

Our ex-keyboard player said her teacher suggested saying the phrase "nice cup-a tea" when trying to 'hear' the rhythm.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Ha ha mine was trip-el-it real original huh!?
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fades Away View Post
    Actually, that's a very accurate count because it is a Triplet figure. By using the numbers though, you then know which beat the Triplet figure is played and the correct count for each note of the Quarter triplet. Counting eases a lot of problems with drumming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fades Away View Post
    actually that may really help alot thanks

User Info Menu

Obviously the accented hits are crucial for triplets, I strongly recommmend single sticking triplet work outs to build stick control ya know, fast fluid finger control.
    once again rock on ya feet, set the click and keep em stong accented and even.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    That is an awesome post.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    i vocalize more than i count. trips sound like bubbada bubbada bubbada, giggity giggity giggity....now try it really really fast.

how silly do you look now?

User Info Menu

Well, there is more than one way to skin a cat. And, I have no problem playing Quarter Triplet patterns.

User Info Menu

I think I'm getting it but just to clarify when playing a 6/4 say single stick on the snare against the kick drum, i should have the stick hitting on beat 1 and 3 and just slightly before and after beats 2 and 4 correct? I should be landing the first stroke of the triplet on beat 1 and other stroke in between and the third stroke exactly on beat 2 or am I misunderstanding? it should be like (1) trip (2)let (3) trip (4)let

as opposed to say a 8th note triplet where i was bet sticking the triplets like(1) trip-let (2) trip-let (3) triplet (4) trip-let and they fall right on the beats

I'm pretty sure I understand it but i just want to clarify so that I'm not practicing the wrong thing

PS Funky , giggity, giggity, giggity LMAO

User Info Menu

Well if you are just playing Quarter note triplets, in 6/4 you just play 1,2,3,4,5,6 alternating sticks, and you got it! now if your play actual triplet which 3 beats for ever quarter note, it would be 1 trip-let 2 trip-let 3 trip-let 4 trip-let 5 trip-let 6 trip-let and so on, It's all about fractions here. A standard measure has 4 beats. So when playing 4/4, there are four beats, so a quarter note, is 1 fourth of that measure, so you would need to heat that quarter note 4 times to get one whole measure. and 1/8 notes, means you have to hit the drum 8 times to complete a measure, you would also have to play them literally twice as fast as the 1/4 notes, and then the tricky part, triplets, now think of the time between each beat. It doesn't change. now, you are given a certain number of notes to hit in that time frame, and they have to be spread out evenly. if you'r given two notes, that would be 1/8 notes, so you hit once to start and another half way through that beat, now with triplets you split it into thirds, so you hit once on the down beat, another 1/3 of the way through, and another 2/3 of the way through that beat. I hope this helps, it's really difficult to explain without sheet music as an aid. I hope i didn't make this even more confusing ha ha!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

TRIP uh LET trip UH let
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

finally , I got the timing down on these, thanks a bunch for the help guys
    this is what I was trying to get
    but i kept landing the 1st and 3rd strokes right on the downbeats like an 8th note triplet

User Info Menu

Nice explanations guys. I too struggled with these, but I think this thread will help.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Slow it down and use a metronome.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.