View Poll Results: Which do you like best?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • DRUM! Magazine

9 28.13%
  • Modern Drummer

23 71.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum Magazines

User Info Menu

Default Drum Magazines

I know there are a handful of drum magazines but I was wondering; of these two specifically, which do you like the best?

User Info Menu

Interesting that Modern Drummer leads. Why do you like Modern Drummer over DRUM?

User Info Menu

Honestly, Modern Drummer is the only magazine I can find. I've never seen Drum! magazine. But if I had, I would choose both as I love anything that has to do with drumming!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I had a subscription to Modern Drummer for a year. I cancelled it because I could not justify the cost/content. That was about 5 years ago. Maybe it has gotten better.

Keith

User Info Menu

Ive never bourght any. They are not avaliable where i live. Was gonna buy one when i was in London, but i didn´t have any money on me.

User Info Menu

Modern Drummer is an awsome magazine but I do like Drum better. I usually get them both.

User Info Menu

I like DRUM! because whenever i go into a bookstore (yeah i know drummer in a bookstore=no sense) i sit down for about an hour and read it end to end. They offer a lot more than modern drummer, like in depth interviews and reviews of products.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

I think they're about the same. They are both duking it out these days to outdo one another. They should just stay loyal to their original thing. Modern Drummer catered to more experienced professionals and DRUM magazine catered to a more youthful market and leaned toward rock and metal drummers. I prefer Modern Drummer but I still pick up DRUM now and then to see what's new.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

The reason DRUM only talks about rock and metal is because our generation is the emo/screamo/metal generation.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CAM1027
    I like DRUM! because whenever i go into a bookstore (yeah i know drummer in a bookstore=no sense) i sit down for about an hour and read it end to end. They offer a lot more than modern drummer, like in depth interviews and reviews of products.

Modern Drummer has interviews and reviews too

User Info Menu

Cool Drum Magazines

Hey, CAM1027--I resemble that remark! This drummer also reads more than just sheet music!

I bought a copy of DRUM! just to see what it was all about; you're right that it appeals to a different generation than Modern Drummer...although I've noticed that MD is now tryin' to get a little more "thrashy" to attract the DRUM! crowd (graphics, writing style, etc.)

MD appeals to me since, like most of the older drummers, it was the drumming magazine I picked up first, and in fact, it was available only at my drum shop for years until it appeared (briefly) in a local supermarket. As far as the info goes, both are good magazines...if ya like traditional stuff, MD is cool. If you're a bit more radical, DRUM!'s your choice.

Actually, I was lookin' for MD at the supermarket tonight --you can find all the guitar mags ya want, but no MD, no DRUM! So unless you subscribe, you may have to join CAM1027 and me at a bookstore!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I subscribe to Drum, haven't seen the Modern Drummer yet, so I suppose I'll vote for Drum.

User Info Menu

I bought 25 or so of both types of magazines and both of them are awesome.
    always worth the money. I do have to say though, i like Modern drummer more than Drum! magazine. MD magazine has more interviews with drummers.
    I think a few times they even put tabs of a few songs in a couple issues...
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

Ive read them both but don't like one over the other. I don subscribe to either of them.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

I've only got a couple magazines of MD... I can't say I've actually heard of DRUM!

I think that MD gives a good balance of everything, its not just metal/rock etc, its got jazz and blues and stuff too. Plus, the Education section in Modern Drummer is priceless.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Magazines

MD rules!

User Info Menu

I got tired of MD adds. There seems to be very little decent interviews anymore and just add after add of intermediate drum stuff. And the adds never change, I get so tired of Joey Jordinson (SP) or Travis Barker etc. endorsement adds. Drum is even worse because it is geared more to the Rock, Metal musician's. I am not knocking those forms of music. It just gets old that you spend a whole year of an add campaign looking at the same adds. So I have let my subscriptions to both magazines lapse. I do like to buy a magazine called I think, vintage or classic drummer that is geared toward interviews with older musician's and drummer that play and collect classic and vintage drums. I can't remember if I have the name correct but I see it on the news stand in my town and pick one up, It only comes out every other month.

User Info Menu

ive never seen Drum magazine before either, modern drummer is all ive seen
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

MD very expensive here...
    And no Drum! Magazine I ever seen in Indonesia....
    How pity....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I had a subscription to MD for about 5 years before I let it lapse. In that time, I put together a note book of all the exercises that I liked and use that even today for practice purposes. I found the articles to be entertaining, informative and, in some instances quite enlightening. The spot light interviews with "Named" drummers are quite good...brings these people into proper perspective with the rest of us. I didn't know who Neil Peart was until I read his story in MD and how he came to write the lyrics to "Vapor Trails." There is a lot of history that can be gleaned from MD about drumming and those we admire. I also like MD for its attention to the drum industry, manufacturers and products. It was through MD that I researched and decided to but the Tama Iron Cobra pedal I use today. I also learned quite a bit on how to correctly choose and adapt drum heads for my kit. Rick Horn's articles about specific products are insightful, distinctive, descriptive and leave no doubt about the value of a product as it relates to utilization. On the more human side, I have yet to read a Billy Ward essay that isn't relative to those of us on the side lines. In all fairness, the majority of my subscription was prior to Ron Spagnardi's (sp?) passing. Perhaps I would think differently today.

User Info Menu

modern drummer is better in my taste

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Honestly, Modern Drummer is the only magazine I can find. I've never seen Drum! magazine. But if I had, I would choose both as I love anything that has to do with drumming!
    Im with # 1 , Ive not seen Drum Magazine either.

I have been on the Modern Drummer web site a couple times , its cheaper than buying the magazine .

User Info Menu

Our local library carries Modern Drummer. So I will sometimes read it there, or if I can wait a month, I can check out any of the back copies for a week. Normally I will do a binge/purge kind of thing and check out the previous 6 months of them for a week, read through them, copy any of the teaching exercises I think are useful and then return them.

I haven't read Drum! -- haven't seen it to try it out.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

IL DUCE Guest

I enjoy reading both of them . My only complaint they're product reviews. They're nothing but puff pieces. They ain't gonna dis any advertisers prpoducts. And they have a tendency to forget about the smaller companies out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Interesting that Modern Drummer leads. Why do you like Modern Drummer over DRUM?
    I second this question. I subscribed to both, and ended up canceling my membership with Modern Drummer, because Drum magazine is the same thing, but less, they also have the new blood section, and better articles in my opinion
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -