Thread: Performance Preperation

User Info Menu

Question Performance Preperation

Hi, I'm doing an essay for my music class and i have to find out ways to prepare oneself for a performance. i hope you don't mind if i ask a few questions.

1. How do you prepare physically before a performance?

2. How do you prepare mentally for a performance?

3. How do you stay focused while you are playing (either during a performance or when your playing)?

thanks guys, if i have anymore questions ill post them.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Performance Preperation

1. Have a nap
    2. Have a coffee
    3. Never been a problem.

User Info Menu

To prepare physically I always make sure I get a good couple of nights sleep before the gig(s), so I'm nice and refreshed when it comes to playing time

To prepare mentally I just listen to the songs I'm going to be playing. I don't listen to them too much though, as that can make you lightly "sick" of them. I also just relax as much as I can.

Staying focused during a performance has never been a problem for me, as I love what I do - I love playing music, playing drums...so it's never been a problem staying focused on it.

Hope I helped
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by devbpoll View Post
    Hi, I'm doing an essay for my music class and i have to find out ways to prepare oneself for a performance. i hope you don't mind if i ask a few questions.

3. How do you stay focused while you are playing (either during a performance or when your playing)?

thanks guys, if i have anymore questions ill post them.

Thanks again.

1. i do some stretches and often times go to a corner and practice rudiments to warm up my wrists and feet. But I think i might take it to serious at times

2. again, practice with click and i always pray, expecially before i play a big show

3. Being focused, on what may i ask? I'm always out to play to the best of my ability and that is my motivation to stay focused i guess
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Thankyou for your replies,
    i better get writting this essay then

thanks again

User Info Menu

1. Practice, practice, practice, then rest.
    2.Practice, practice, practice, then rest.
    3. I would have practiced enough beforehand that the music just plays itself, like breathing, you don't even have to think about doing it to do it.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by devbpoll View Post

1. I just do some light warm-up work. Dont beleve the hype. It dont really matter what you do to wam up. The main thing is that you get that warm, tired feeling in your wrists.

2. Just relax. Talk to people, do what you would normally do. What you shouldnt do it to go over the performance in your head again and again. Just let i flow.

3. My personal way of doing it is all about attitude. My onstage attitude is "I OWN this stage." Evryone else in the room is insignifigant compared to me. That way, the odd mistake dont matter. "Im better than this shiat anyways!" If you go round thinking you are the weak link, you will be.

Hope that helps, mate!

User Info Menu

1. I warm up a little bit, but I don't really prepare myself physically.
    2. Listen to Maggot Brain by Funkadelic. It works every time.
    3. Smile, laugh, have a good time, and make sure to give lots of good drumming faces. If you look like you're having a good time, people watching you will have a good time.

User Info Menu

ahh, last night my band played a big show. we had a tiny audience of about 30 people, but it was a full auditorium show that required lots of preparation. we had our last practice a week before the show as a band. then everyday from then on i played through the entire show. day before the show i ran through everything twice. pretty much just getting everything to feel completely at ease, and muscle memory. that also prepared me physically. also, when you've practiced that much, the parts just flow out of you, so its much easier to stay focused, and even if you let your mind wander, your limbs will still be on auto pilot. so in essence, practice!!!!!!!!!! lol