Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How I convert an acoustic kit to electric

User Info Menu

Default How I convert an acoustic kit to electric

I am going to convert my pro m set to electric info and pics to follow !

Here's the 14" tom notice how mapex uses single bolt lugs

first i take the tom mount off because this is where i will mount the trigger bracket next remove the vent this is done how ever it takes i used a flat screw driver and a hammer rolled the inside edge then pushed it out...If you don't have a sure grip and steady hand this can be tricky and you could damage the drum shell !!!

Last edited by 2slow; 03-26-2009 at 04:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How I comvert an acoustic kit to electric

this is the trigger made to fit the tom lug bolt i use felt on the inside of the bracket where it touches the shell to prevent any damage. I put electrical tape on the bearing edges because the mesh heads are rough. Mount the 1/4" jack in the vent hole.

This step is very important the trigger cone needs to stick above the bearing edge 1/8" or so

User Info Menu

i use this clear tubing to go around the rim to help deaden the rim hits

Here's the tom finished . On the bass drum i put the trigger off center so the beater is not hitting the trigger head on.

User Info Menu

a couple shots of the set

User Info Menu

Default Re: How I convert an acoustic kit to electric

This always amazes me John, I wish I had your skills..... It's the best of both worlds, you have the beauty of an acoustic kit but the quietness of an electric. Would be perfect for me Did you ever think about doing this professionally?

User Info Menu

A few questions:

Where are your sourcing the trigger?
    Are the brackets always custom made?
    What about the wiring - as far as wiring it up to the rc plug - again is this a custom thing?
    Are the triggers velocity sensitive? If so, how does that work? If not, can you get them for these purposes?
    What about dual triggering? Triggering the rims etc? Is all that possible through these ways?

EDIT: - Another thing I'm wondering is why your using a cone? can you just use a big square of foam or does the cone serve a purpose?
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 03-26-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Thanks alot Sue !! Never thought about doing it professionally

User Info Menu

Looks like you are fabricating your own mounts for the trigger as opposed to getting one of the conversion kits. Are you making your own triggers too, or buying something from one of the e-drum companies? Do you do a dual trigger set up for the snare (head/rim)?

I've had the roland v-drums before and also frequent the vdrum forums and I've always wanted to do a conversion. Those kits look great, and I really think more drummers would give the electronics a try if they had an e-drum set that looked like an A-set.

Your conversion kit looks outstanding btw!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Thanks alot Sue !! Never thought about doing it professionally
    I would absolutely pay to have someone to do this for me. I would love an acoustic kit, they are beautiful, but I can never have one because of where I live. Let's be real for a second, electric kits are fun but they are not that nice to look at. Yeah, they are cool but acoustic=art. The intricate details of what an acoustic drum is made of is what interests me. The knowledge that some people have with regards to acoustic kits (like my teacher, you, PB, Frank, Bish and many others here) facinates me. Electric is just wires and crap LOL No fun there (well maybe for some people LOL). Anyway, all I'm saying is that I know I would buy a converted acoustic kit, and so would other people, I'm sure of that.... It's something to think about John

User Info Menu

Nice work John. Something like that would be right up my alley for quiet play here in my crummy apartment !

-Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    A few questions:

Where are your sourcing the trigger?
    Are the brackets always custom made?
    What about the wiring - as far as wiring it up to the rc plug - again is this a custom thing?
    Are the triggers velocity sensitive? If so, how does that work? If not, can you get them for these purposes?
    What about dual triggering? Triggering the rims etc? Is all that possible through these ways?

EDIT: - Another thing I'm wondering is why your using a cone? can you just use a big square of foam or does the cone serve a purpose?
    Triggers are just piezos with foam to connect the head and piezo 2 wires solder to the input plug it in to a module and go

Yes I think it's more the module that is pressure and positional sensitive and yes you can install multible triggers/piezos. Jmann sells a whole trigger set and they are all multible the snare has 5 i think !

yes the brackets are custom made not really hard to do just time consuming till you get one made then just copy it larger .

Let me say this to everyone thinking about triggering this way I don't know if this is better than store bought rim mount triggers like rolands or ddrums i have never tried them ( if someone wants to donate a set I will be glad to review them ) they do seem to be quality Johnny Rabb raves about the rolands....much easier just make a phone call

piezos are cheap maybe $5 each and the rolands and ddrum will cost $200 and up

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MadGary View Post
    Looks like you are fabricating your own mounts for the trigger as opposed to getting one of the conversion kits. Are you making your own triggers too, or buying something from one of the e-drum companies? Do you do a dual trigger set up for the snare (head/rim)?

I've had the roland v-drums before and also frequent the vdrum forums and I've always wanted to do a conversion. Those kits look great, and I really think more drummers would give the electronics a try if they had an e-drum set that looked like an A-set.

Your conversion kit looks outstanding btw!

Thanks and yes you can use multiple triggers jmann from vdrum is da man on conversions I think he uses 5 triggers on a snare drum and 2 on toms

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Nice work John. Something like that would be right up my alley for quiet play here in my crummy apartment !

-Les

It needs to be on your list it will increase your practice time by as many hours as you can stand !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    It needs to be on your list it will increase your practice time by as many hours as you can stand !!

Well, yeah..once I get up enough nerve to start robbin liquor stores! lol (joke)

-Les

User Info Menu

I've seen Jman's conversions on the vdrums forums. He really does some slick stuff. Those Space Muffin drum kits are pretty sweet too, but are basically just what you are doing on your own.

I know pintech makes a drop in conversion kit that includes triggers, mesh heads, and mounting brackets, but it is around $800 or so to convert a 5 piece kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MadGary View Post
    I've seen Jman's conversions on the vdrums forums. He really does some slick stuff. Those Space Muffin drum kits are pretty sweet too, but are basically just what you are doing on your own.

I know pintech makes a drop in conversion kit that includes triggers, mesh heads, and mounting brackets, but it is around $800 or so to convert a 5 piece kit.

jmann does one for less i think

User Info Menu

Very Nice 2slow. I had wondered how this system works and your pictures helped a lot. I can see this as being a great way to play accoustic drums in a non-accoustic friendly enviornment.

Cheers,
    John
    "No Sharezies!"

User Info Menu

looks great!, post a video?

User Info Menu

dang man, that looks excellent. you did a really good job!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

thsi is sooo cool!!!! i wish i could do that!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    dang man, that looks excellent. you did a really good job!
    thanks

User Info Menu

awesome! Looks sweet, and must be very convenient!

User Info Menu

Great Job
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

i was thinking of doing the same thing, would you recommend using remo muffl discs under your drumheads instead of buying mesh heads?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

resurface the thread ..

just a couple of clarification questions 2Slow ...
    did you buy the cones somewhere?
    did you put the plastic tubing on the outside of the rim? or what.
    cymbals? did you just piezo practice cymbals .. ?
    reso heads ?? did you just leave them on or put mesh's on both sides ?
    and the real question .. what would you do different next time.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living