Thread: Big Music Gear Retailers

User Info Menu

Default Big Music Gear Retailers

Music 123 and Musicians Friend use to have so many more choices than they do these days. You can't buy a Yamaha Hipgig, Slug batter badges, Sonor Street Conga and other things I remember them having. If I can name a few items then there must be thousands they stopped carrying or maybe those products aren't made anymore and other places just have new old stock. Any thoughts???
    Lisa

Psalm 150:5
    Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Drummer at Baptist church
    I like it syncopated and funky

Yamaha Hipgig
    Zildjian Special Dry ride
    Zildjian Constantinople crash
    Paiste 2002 hats
    Promark Crystal Ball beater

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Big Music Gear Retailers

Hi, Lisa!

I can't speak for Music 123, but keep in mind that Musicians Friend is the internet offshoot of Guitar Center...and I've noticed some items aren't on display the way they used to be.

It could be that, like other businesses, Musician Friend/Guitar Center is tightening its belt because of the slow economy. A lot of the stuff stores can afford to carry when times are good are often dropped because they can't afford to keep them in inventory when they aren't selling. The hand drum selection seems to be more of the same at the GC I've visited lately, for example...

(And since I play hand drums in my Catholic church's guitar ensemble, I'd like to think I've taken Psalm 150:4-5 seriously, too! Remember, sticks came long after hands! )
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Big Music Gear Retailers

Even the local retailers have cut back on the floor stock and variety of brands. Where I could once choose between several (Ludwig, Yamaha, Mapex, DW) seems like you only find one or two brands available. However, a lot of that does come from the manufacturer's as they expect huge $$$ committment to floor their product. Not many locals can do that and the Big Box dealer doesn't want to tie up so much in inventory.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks my bro's. You guys are right. It is a sign of the times.

BongoBro, you are all Psalm 150. No question!
    Lisa

Psalm 150:5
    Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Drummer at Baptist church
    I like it syncopated and funky

Yamaha Hipgig
    Zildjian Special Dry ride
    Zildjian Constantinople crash
    Paiste 2002 hats
    Promark Crystal Ball beater

User Info Menu

Music123 and musicians friend are now the same folks IIRC.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Not just a "sign of the times" but also a sign of poor management. Sometimes the managers in charge of ordering only order the the bear minimum and most popular brands among beginner musicians, leaving the rest of us professionals(veterans) who need high quality or specific gear searching high and low, far and wide, to no avail. GC only carries what is advertised in magazines, and even at that, they usually only stock the entry level products from the "popular" brands/companies. This is commonplace for most music stores, local or on-line. Mail order is no exception. Very frustrating.
    Last edited by Reverend D.; 03-27-2009 at 03:53 PM.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

Larrysperf Guest

Thats where I am lucky my store JUST DRUMS carries everthing and if they dont have it can get in 3 to 4 days. This store is a drummers dream, at any given time they have25 or more sets up and ready to play plus many more on display. Nuff said oh and Bongo you would go crazy in the hand drum department

User Info Menu

Sounds awesome, but i am in the states, so shipping might be crazy.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.