Thread: Need Help, Yet Again.....

User Info Menu

Default Need Help, Yet Again.....

OK, I hope I word this correctly and can get across exactly what I need help with. Some things are diffucult to explain without showing you what I mean but here it goes.....

My teacher has me working on a few exercises and I'm finding one a bit difficult. He has me doing an exercise where I set my metronome to an 8th note pulse, I play one measure of 8th notes with my snare and bass (1 & on snare, 2 & on bass, 3 & on snare, 4 & on bass), then one measure of 16th notes using the same pattern, 1e on snare, &ah on bass, 2e on snare, &ah on bass and so on..... Anway, this is easy for me, as I increase the speed it gets more difficult but for the most part I can keep time going from 8th notes to 16th notes and then back again landing on the 1 of the count every time. This is where the difficulty comes, my teacher has me doing this with one measure of triplets and then one of 6's (1 & ah 1 & ah - I count it, 123456, I think this is called a 8th note triplet?). I find it very easy going from triplets to 6's when I'm doing it on the snare only or when I do the triplets separately from the 6's but when I try to go from triplets to 6's, like the exercsise above between my snare and bass, my time is way off..... Even when I do it very slow. I just cannot get the "feel" of it. Normally when I slow things down it takes me a few times and then I have it but I'm just not getting this...... Any suggestions?

I hope I explained this ok......

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Help, Yet Again.....

Susan; if you have a metronome that subdivides, listen to these subdivisions before playing the exercises. This used to help me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Susan; if you have a metronome that subdivides, listen to these subdivisions before playing the exercises. This used to help me.
    Thanks Tom, I will definitely try that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I was going to suggest the same thing. I have to do that when doing Andy's timing exercise, especially when coming back down.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Sue...you explained it very well. The solution to your problem is simple...counting correctly. The Triplet is a group of 3 notes. The Value of each Triplet (number of beats) is determined by the notes comprising the Triplet. 8th note triplets get 1 beat when the time signature is 4/4. You must count the triplet according to it's exact placement within the measure. If the triplet is on the 1st beat and the 3rd beat, you count the measure as 1TL 2 3TL 4 and keep the count even. It doesn't matter which drum or cymbal you play a triplet note on. When you have the "6's" as you described, these are 16th note triplet. Each group of a 16th note Triplet gets 1/2 beat. As you know, a full beat is counted as 1 And (on beat and off beat). It is counted according to it's placement. When it is on the beat the count is 1TL or 2TL etc. When it is played Off the beat, it is counted And TL (+TL). So, 1 full beat of 16th note triplets will have the 6 note grouping and will be counted as 1TL +TL. Two full beats of 16th triplets will be counted as 1TL +TL 2TL +TL. This is what I mean by the CORRECT counting. Don't forget, the triplet pattern may also begin on the "+" or off beat count. For example: 1 + 2 +TL 3 + 4 +TL etc. Again, it doesn't matter which drum you play any of these notes on. So, you must first become comfortable with how to COUNT the triplet pattern. Count it out loud as you practice your exercises and be sure to do this slowly. Little by little, you will begin to "Feel" and hear the triplet pattern. Tom suggested using the 8th note sub-division on the metronome. That is excellent advice as it will help you to keep the count even and steady. One more thing and I will not apologize for this. Everybody has their way of counting triplets and this fine, as long as it works. However, you still have to know which beat a triplet pattern is played on. The Triplet can be made of any note value and will receive a specific count. We count 4 - 16th notes as 1-e-+-a. But, if there is a 32nd triplet in there, it has to be counted correctly in order to be played correctly:
    1 -etl-+ - a | 2- e- + - atl etc. etc. Have your teacher explain this to you so that you fully understand why counting is so important.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

wow, thanks Frank, I even understood that!!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

I didn't. Can someone please explain it to me?

(just kiddin' )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Sue...you explained it very well. The solution to your problem is simple...counting correctly. The Triplet is a group of 3 notes. The Value of each Triplet (number of beats) is determined by the notes comprising the Triplet. 8th note triplets get 1 beat when the time signature is 4/4. You must count the triplet according to it's exact placement within the measure. If the triplet is on the 1st beat and the 3rd beat, you count the measure as 1TL 2 3TL 4 and keep the count even. It doesn't matter which drum or cymbal you play a triplet note on. When you have the "6's" as you described, these are 16th note triplet. Each group of a 16th note Triplet gets 1/2 beat. As you know, a full beat is counted as 1 And (on beat and off beat). It is counted according to it's placement. When it is on the beat the count is 1TL or 2TL etc. When it is played Off the beat, it is counted And TL (+TL). So, 1 full beat of 16th note triplets will have the 6 note grouping and will be counted as 1TL +TL. Two full beats of 16th triplets will be counted as 1TL +TL 2TL +TL. This is what I mean by the CORRECT counting. Don't forget, the triplet pattern may also begin on the "+" or off beat count. For example: 1 + 2 +TL 3 + 4 +TL etc. Again, it doesn't matter which drum you play any of these notes on. So, you must first become comfortable with how to COUNT the triplet pattern. Count it out loud as you practice your exercises and be sure to do this slowly. Little by little, you will begin to "Feel" and hear the triplet pattern. Tom suggested using the 8th note sub-division on the metronome. That is excellent advice as it will help you to keep the count even and steady. One more thing and I will not apologize for this. Everybody has their way of counting triplets and this fine, as long as it works. However, you still have to know which beat a triplet pattern is played on. The Triplet can be made of any note value and will receive a specific count. We count 4 - 16th notes as 1-e-+-a. But, if there is a 32nd triplet in there, it has to be counted correctly in order to be played correctly:
    1 -etl-+ - a | 2- e- + - atl etc. etc. Have your teacher explain this to you so that you fully understand why counting is so important.
    Thanks Frank, you explained that perfectly.... So...... when can you come over and be my new teacher? LOL J/K, my teacher explains things just fine, he just goes a little too fast for me sometimes......

User Info Menu

One time I asked my church marching drumline to play an exercise with 4's, 5's, 6's and 7's using double strokes only(it is played with singles) and they were pretty confused because their sticking pattern was turned upside down. When patterns become confusing, just slow them down to an embarrassingly slow yet comfortable tempo( I do all the time when trying new ones) until you get it, before speeding up, and in no time( well, maybe SOME time) you will have the exercise mastered.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

I learned something new from this thread as well, thanks for sharing.