Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those that have Drum Dials

User Info Menu

Default For those that have Drum Dials

Just curious what settings everyone uses that has drum dials, I just picked up one today, I am using evans onyx batter heads and remo ambassadors reso heads. I just set both heads at 78 and wow, that really brought the life out of them.

I am just curious, my 12 and 16 resonates very nice, but it goes away quickly which I like, it seems like the 14 FT resonates forever. The guy at the drum store was explaining to me that the top head is what you hear when you hit it and the bottom head is what you hear afterwards. So if I want to make the 14 resonate a little quicker do I go up or down with it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: For those that have Drum Dials

go up a tad on the reso to slow down the sustain/ringing
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

This thing is so sweet, even though it requires a little bit of fine tuning after everything is set, it puts me so close to the sweet spot I can't ask for any more. That was my main problem, just getting to the point so I could fine tune, and it did the trick. I can say the drum dial is well worth the money, especially for people like me that haven't been behind the kit too long. It comes close to the best money I have spent besides my Pork Pie throne.

User Info Menu

I LOVE IT, but most on this forum don't.......They don't get it. It is a tool, not a panacea.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Are they really worth the cash? I don't know their value in the states but down here they're over AU$200? I am interested in one but the cost versus benefit is what I am asking.

User Info Menu

over here they cost around $60 dollars, to me it was well worth it. I know where my drums are tuned at right now and should never have a problem again getting them back to where I like them. I don't know the money ratio between US and AU but if it cost that much more over there, I would shop around on ebay and have one shipped.

But the answer to your question, is yes it's worth the money in my opinion. I have had too many headaches trying to tune my drums and this took the headache away making it quick and simple.

ThePloughman Guest

Mostly my DD "Setting" ....is in the Box.

User Info Menu

See?
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

Larrysperf Guest

wow you have a 14 ft tom it must sound lol
    sorry Mortal would have loved it. Drum dial to much doe evans torque key little less and helps change heads faster but good old tuning is the best and my old Ludwig drum key well it cost 2.99 and hasnt failed me yet Nuff said

User Info Menu

Why people want to begrudge us a tool that WE are happy with is beyond me.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campbellj25 View Post
    over here they cost around $60 dollars, to me it was well worth it. I know where my drums are tuned at right now and should never have a problem again getting them back to where I like them. I don't know the money ratio between US and AU but if it cost that much more over there, I would shop around on ebay and have one shipped.

But the answer to your question, is yes it's worth the money in my opinion. I have had too many headaches trying to tune my drums and this took the headache away making it quick and simple.
    Cheers mate, there's a heap on eBay US that are way cheaper than what we can buy here, I'm going to grab one.

ThePloughman Guest

Begrudge?
    You like it, use it. After 35 years of playing, it just does not service me. I can rehead an entire kit, have it sounding great by ear, without the dial. If you like it, use it. Im not likely to sell mine. And yet, it does stay in the box mostly. There are a whole lot more valuable things you could invest the 60 bux on though.

And I have four 14x14 floor toms.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 03-27-2009 at 08:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Begrudge?
    You like it, use it. After 35 years of playing, it just does not service me. I can rehead an entire kit, have it sounding great by ear, without the dial. If you like it, use it. Im not likely to sell mine. And yet, it does stay in the box mostly. There are a whole lot more valuable things you could invest the 60 bux on though.

That's what I meant when I said it's probably good for people like me that haven't been behind the kit too long, I would expect after 35 years I should have no need for it either, but as for now I think it helps and having my kit set right it gives me an idea of what it should be sounding like to help train my ears....

As far as the evan's torque key, I see no use in that. Unless your lugs are completely free of debris and turn smoothly it will give nothing but wrong results IMO.

I like having little gadgets like that anyways.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    Im not saying you cant use it if thats what you need go ahead all Im doing is letting you know what I use. This is a forum to let people hear what others use and they can make up there own minds Nuff said

User Info Menu

This thread is titled for those with drum dials. He wasn't soliciting opinions from those who don't. just sayin
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

I don't begrudge anyone who likes having whatever tools to make their job easier. Question though, what tool do you use to tune your guitars?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

An electronic battery operated tuner with a "dial".
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

I don't begrudge anyone who likes having whatever tools to make their job easier. Question though, what tool do you use to tune your guitars?
    I actually used harmonics to tune my guitars which always works best for me, and I did the same thing with my drums today, once I got them dialed in close enough to do, so yes I did use my ears in the end. But as far as guitars go, I was checking out the new Gibson Les Paul that electronically tunes itself. It was so sweet, with 6 different tuning options all at the push of the knob and the machine heads turn themselves. I just thought that was awesome, but like I said, I love gadgets.

User Info Menu

Oh, and on stage when it was too loud to tune my guitar by ear, I used a boss TU-2 tuner/stomp box, it worked great and ran right in line with the rest of my pedals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Begrudge?

I just don't understand why people have to talk down to others that have found a tool that's useful to them. To YOU there are more valuable things you could invest the $60 on, but to some people, this may be far more valuable than what YOU would invest $60 on. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make your way the only way, and doesn't make their way wrong. I may think the best thing to invest $60 on is a new wood block, and you might think it's the latest light up cowbell.

We're glad you can rehead an entire kit and have it sounding great by ear, but not everyone has that gifted an ear, or has acquired the skill to do it consistently. That's exactly why tools like this are on the market, and why they sell.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

ThePloughman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I just don't understand why people have to talk down to others that have found a tool that's useful to them. To YOU there are more valuable things you could invest the $60 on, but to some people, this may be far more valuable than what YOU would invest $60 on. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make your way the only way, and doesn't make their way wrong. I may think the best thing to invest $60 on is a new wood block, and you might think it's the latest light up cowbell.

We're glad you can rehead an entire kit and have it sounding great by ear, but not everyone has that gifted an ear, or has acquired the skill to do it consistently. That's exactly why tools like this are on the market, and why they sell.
    I do not get where you come up with "talking down to you." No place did any one post...... "Child learn to tune." It wasnt even implied. As for "not agreeing" with me, ...... you think it really matters? To ME? Not in this life or any other. And while we are at it, just where in hades dark smoke do you get I said it was "wrong?" What I said was ......... If you like it, use it. And I stated that twice.

In my experimentation with the DD, I found I could properly tune a head, then drum dial it.....and remove at least one lug screw completely, and have that head read the same all the way around the drum. Now if that is the tool for you........ God bless ya man. Buy two of them.

By the way, it takes me about 15 minutes to send a three word text message.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 03-27-2009 at 11:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Then you either had a bad drum dial or used it wrong. What you are saying happened is pretty much impossible from my experience. I have personally talked to the inventor twice now and agree with everything he says about it. I can make very minor tweaks and the dial moves just as advertised
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here's my testimony. I had to take my first snare to Sam Ash to get tuned as I had no idea (started in December). When I bought the BP snare, I had already purchased the Drum Dial. I put on the new heads, tuned it up in about 10 minutes with the Dial per instructions, and then gave it to a very experienced gigging drummer who tunes by ear. He gave it the stick test around the lugs and it was perfectly in tune, and in the sweet spot. First time! I doubt I could have done that by ear my very first time.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

ThePloughman Guest

Here's my testimony. I had to take my first snare to Sam Ash to get tuned as I had no idea (started in December). When I bought the BP snare, I had already purchased the Drum Dial. I put on the new heads, tuned it up in about 10 minutes with the Dial per instructions, and then gave it to a very experienced gigging drummer who tunes by ear. He gave it the stick test around the lugs and it was perfectly in tune, and in the sweet spot. First time! I doubt I could have done that by ear my very first time.
    Kudos for you, glad it worked out.