Thread: Congas

User Info Menu

Default Congas

Are there any conga players on board?

I sold my Cajons and picked up a 3pc. set of Conga drums.
    I am very beginner and the drums are not the serious top of the line stuff.
    They are the LP "aspire" line which is LPs lower end starter drums.
    They sound fine and I am putting a thin mule skin on the 11 3/4" conga to bring out a warmer sound than the stock water buffalo skins they come with.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Congas

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post

They sound fine and I am putting a thin mule skin on the 11 3/4" conga to bring out a warmer sound than the stock water buffalo skins they come with.
    I am a big fan of Aspires, I think their the biggest bang for the buck. I have friends that have old ones that have been tuned and played big time and sound amazing. A while back I sold mine to upgrade to the next level which were the Performer series, big disappointment and I really regretted selling mine. Enjoy your new set, it will be allot of fun!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    I am a big fan of Aspires, I think their the biggest bang for the buck. I have friends that have old ones that have been tuned and played big time and sound amazing. A while back I sold mine to upgrade to the next level which were the Performer series, big disappointment and I really regretted selling mine. Enjoy your new set, it will be allot of fun!
    L4C
    Thanks luv4congas. Often on other sites you get those who are the Pros who basically have nothing good to say about the "Aspire" line but for a beginner I think they work. I will keep my eyes open for good used LP Matadors maybe on Craig's list. I can't wait to try a mule skin on my conga but I need to be carefull on tightening because I am told the lugs and framing is a little weak on these drums.

User Info Menu

BC, I have a set of 2 LP Aspire congas, and bongos. I still consider myself a real newbie on the congas, but I do enjoy the sound of these congas. Your new congas look good in your avatar.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks luv4congas. Often on other sites you get those who are the Pros who basically have nothing good to say about the "Aspire" line but for a beginner I think they work. I will keep my eyes open for good used LP Matadors maybe on Craig's list. I can't wait to try a mule skin on my conga but I need to be carefull on tightening because I am told the lugs and framing is a little weak on these drums.
    My Bro played in a jazz band on a set of natural/ chrome Aspires and they sounded great. My last drum circle their were many aspires. if you got the fever to get another set save the mule or the cash for you next set, I think Lp got the right mix of rawhide and shell on the Aspire. Mule can make some congas more ringy than they were and if you ever planed on selling them you may not get you $ back from the mule. Your right about craigs list, there is a lot of deals on there. I got my Geovannis from Cl for less than I paid for my Performer series.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    BC, I have a set of 2 LP Aspire congas, and bongos. I still consider myself a real newbie on the congas, but I do enjoy the sound of these congas. Your new congas look good in your avatar.
    Thanks Bob, they are in good shape but the Quinto had a crack when I got it. It was likely due to the climate change from humid Florida to the dry NC Washington State climate where I live. Are yours the 11 3/4" drums? Do they have the original water buffalo skins or modified?

User Info Menu

My Bro played in a jazz band on a set of natural/ chrome Aspires and they sounded great. My last drum circle their were many aspires. if you got the fever to get another set save the mule or the cash for you next set, I think Lp got the right mix of rawhide and shell on the Aspire. Mule can make some congas more ringy than they were and if you ever planed on selling them you may not get you $ back from the mule. Your right about craigs list, there is a lot of deals on there. I got my Geovannis from Cl for less than I paid for my Performer series.
    L4C
    So your Performer series didn't check out for you very well? Gosh, I thought those were a more premier LP line.

User Info Menu

So your Performer series didn't check out for you very well? Gosh, I thought those were a more premier LP line.
    well, they were ok after I re skinned them with American cow but there's just something about the Performer Series thats not right. There are some Lp congas out there that you won't find on and Lp web site or catalog like the Performers or the Caliente models. Also when you buy new Lp's they come in boxes that are printed Lp Aspire or matadors or classics, these don't. they just come in yellow boxes. Performers are very ringy out the box too. So far the best sounding Lp's that I've had were old classics but I had to sell them because I had way to many drums.
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

well, they were ok after I re skinned them with American cow but there's just something about the Performer Series thats not right. There are some Lp congas out there that you won't find on and Lp web site or catalog like the Performers or the Caliente models. Also when you buy new Lp's they come in boxes that are printed Lp Aspire or matadors or classics, these don't. they just come in yellow boxes. Performers are very ringy out the box too. So far the best sounding Lp's that I've had were old classics but I had to sell them because I had way to many drums.
    L4C
    Those are beautiful! Almost like a dark Mahogany/Cherry finish! Looks like some heavy duty lugs too! Nice drums! There are some good posts on other forums out there regarding getting the "ring" out of congas I will look around and investigate.
    One said to line the inside with some newspapers?

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Congas

Do I HAVE to answer that question, BC?

My nickname is "bongobro," but I'm a conga man, ya know! Sorry to hear you sold the cajons, but I must admit I enjoy playin' congas almost as much (if not more) than the bongos...

I don't play Aspires per se, but four of my five congas are CP (the previous name for the Aspire series in the mid 1980s) and I think they're great drums for the money. I play Aspires when I take drum lessons (yes, I still take lessons!) and they sound nearly as good as the LP basic series...I wouldn't mind havin' the Gios, but I've no problem recommending or playing the Aspires!

Congrats, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

BC, my Aspires are stock. I'm too much of a newbie on hand percussion (I spend more time on my drum kit) to worry about any modifications. I wouldn't do any modifications justice anyway!

Here's what I am learning to play:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    BC, my Aspires are stock. I'm too much of a newbie on hand percussion (I spend more time on my drum kit) to worry about any modifications. I wouldn't do any modifications justice anyway!

Here's what I am learning to play:
    Those look like steer skins? They don't look like the stock buffalo from the picture.
    Nice colored set. I also like the solid metal hardware vs the black plastic change LP made over the years.
    Do you mount the bongos on top Bob?
    Last edited by BongoCajon; 03-28-2009 at 11:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, I have the bongos on a stand behind the congas. The pic that I posted was taken on the first day that I got the set home. Whatever the skins were that came with the set, are what is still on them.