Thread: Hybrid drum question

User Info Menu

Default Hybrid drum question

Hi all, this is my first post to this site ever, so, Hello Im Sam.

I play an acoustic 4 piece, I'm starting a project with a synth player doing eletronica/electro rock/drum and bass, ish type music. This is what I want to do.

1. I want to be able to trigger some electronic sounds off of a pad(s), pretty standard.

2. I want mid-song to be able to start and stop a loop/sample or what have you.

3. want to know Im in time with the loop once it starts. How is this done????? I know im not good enough to say the loop is at 96 bpm and be right on the money when i start it (most guys I know arent). Ive seen guys using head phones when doing this live. Are they playing to a click track only they can hear??? This is major for me.

Budget for a main unit: $300-600 not including PA or pads and cords ect.

Ive looked at these units:

Roland sp-404 (I love the idea of this unit, no output control but unbelievable creative control of the sound)

Roland SPDS (Great features, for live drumming, but if you want to create the samples and loops it looks like you'd be better off doing so on the computer and importing them to the device???)

Sorry for the long winded post but this drummer's got questions!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hybrid drum question

Welcome to Drum Chat Sam! You're way out of my league with your questions, so I will leave it to others to reply.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I would suggest, an electric kit.

User Info Menu

no. you definately want the SPDS, a 512mb flashcard, a cheap metronome, and some nice headphones. the spds is an AMAZING unit, i've got nothing but good things to say about mine. keyboard parts, vocal harmonies, random percussion stuff, fart noises, anything you want is at the tap of a pad or foot pedal. this is exactly what you want

User Info Menu

Thanks Nate, So is the click track the only thing you have pumping through the headphones?
    S

User Info Menu

I actually don't run the metronome through my headphones, and only the spds when there is a loop going. i just take a mix of the bass and vocals into my in ears. i have a little metronome under my hi hat the blinks the tempo of the song right before we start, i just glance at that, grab the tempo, then count the other 2 guys in. but if you're really worried about being in time with your loops, metronome through the headphones is definately the way to go. maybe a splitter or something so you can get the spds and metronome in your ears if you're super worried about it.

User Info Menu

You might also want to look at the Roland SP-555. That's next on my wish list. I already have an SPD-20 and I plan on triggering the SP-555 with that. Look at the YouTube vids for the SP-555, it is quite impressive and within your price range. A lot of DJs are doing dance and electronic music with it, but the options are limitless, depending on your creativity with loops & samples.
    I am planning to get one to do bass lines and synth parts in the new project myself and a guitarist friend are starting...