Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mid level to high level

User Info Menu

Default Re: mid level to high level

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I dont really see the difference in the 2 as they all pretty much look and sound the same . On some hardware is a little better but really what do you think is the diffrence. I have heard some high end kits that were amazing but have also heard some mid level kits that were just as amazing, but thousands apart. Nuff said This thread is to let others know that its ok to buy and like mid level kits also I should add sorry I concider my kit mid level and the finish on it is one of the best I have seen on any Ludwig,and some other brands
    Hmmm.. sounds like a case of drum envy...lol (joke)

-Les

User Info Menu

cool thread Lar, great responses, all I will add is if you are going to spend on a medium or high end kit, dont cheap out on cases!! My kit is always wrapped in a blanket and then put in its case before it goes on the road.

[Roadies are brutal.]

It kills me when I see a nice kit loose in the back of someones car!! madness.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    cool thread Lar, great responses, all I will add is if you are going to spend on a medium or high end kit, dont cheap out on cases!! My kit is always wrapped in a blanket and then put in its case before it goes on the road.

[Roadies are brutal.]

It kills me when I see a nice kit loose in the back of someones car!! madness.
    I came out of gig 1 night and open the back of the rental truck..all my cases are gone!..No way I'm just gonna put them in the truck so In the car they went.I swear I was driving like an old woman, avoiding pot holes, doing about 35mph the whole way home.Was a trick trying to look out the passenger window with a 24" BD sitting on the seat.

User Info Menu

I always look for a high-end sound in all my gear, but could care less about the high-end look. I look at wood quality, hardware functionality, and overall contruction first and look at finishes last. I'd take a road rashed vintage Gretsch kit over anything new and shiny on the market. You get way more for your $$ by buying used. I'n my eyes why would I buy a shiny new intermediate kit when I can spend the same amount and get a used pro level kit. I know there a lot of players out there who take great pride in having a beautiful looking kit, but in my opinion the beauty is in the sound.

Overall I have to disagree with the original post, in most cases you get what you pay for, and the pro gear is pro for a reason. There are plenty of exceptions out there though, lots of intermediate kits sound just as good as a higher end set, whereas there are plenty of pro kits out there that just don't make the grade and are highly over priced.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Hmmm.. sounds like a case of drum envy...lol (joke)

-Les
    Les this is not about you so.... Nuff said

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I always look for a high-end sound in all my gear, but could care less about the high-end look. I look at wood quality, hardware functionality, and overall contruction first and look at finishes last. I'd take a road rashed vintage Gretsch kit over anything new and shiny on the market. You get way more for your $$ by buying used. I'n my eyes why would I buy a shiny new intermediate kit when I can spend the same amount and get a used pro level kit. I know there a lot of players out there who take great pride in having a beautiful looking kit, but in my opinion the beauty is in the sound.

Overall I have to disagree with the original post, in most cases you get what you pay for, and the pro gear is pro for a reason. There are plenty of exceptions out there though, lots of intermediate kits sound just as good as a higher end set, whereas there are plenty of pro kits out there that just don't make the grade and are highly over priced.
    Finally thanks Nuff said

User Info Menu

I think that musical instruments of intermediate and pro levels can easily get confused. simply put....

Would the casual drummer truely see and hear the difference in a Catalina Maple and a Renown Maple? I think not.

Much like some people can't see the difference in a $2 puerto rican cigar and a $20 cuban cigar. It takes an afficinado to see and enjoy the difference in quality of the craftmanship in hand applying the stain to a renown drum or the tightness of the wrap in a fine cigar.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: mid level to high level

hi i have a mapex m birch and it sounds amazing. At my school we have a pearl masters which is worth about 4 times the price. My mapex sounds as good and i'd go as far as saying my bass drum sounds better (a big statement i know). In my opinion if your buying a drum kit that isn't made from basewood you can't go wrong

User Info Menu

Thought I'd bring this thread to the top. So after owning a few higher end sets I can give my insite ! First does a high end set sound better than a mid set.....Depends on the tuning I think that a top shelf set will sound better tuned right but with that said the higher end sets I've had cost around 3 to 5 times the price of the mid lines I've owned . So are they worth the extra money ??? To me if money was not a big deal i'd say yes! The yamaha absoultes and Mapex saturns ( that cherry sparkle finish is nothing short of stunning !!) are outstanding drums in every way if I could afford it I would own several high end sets but, truth be told when I do have a gig it's at a church or church function and I do not accept any money for playing makes it kinda hard to justify keeping a couple hign end sets sitting around. Now mid level seems to be where I feel comfortable I can have a couple of these sets sitting around to play when I want and for the quality...is it 3 to 5 times less than the high end sets ? Wellll maybe and maybe not, the finish on all the mapex and the 3007 sonor I have now is very nice! The sound of the sonor is very,very good I really like this set. The hardware on the sonor and the m birch is close to the same the rims are kinda thin and the lugs are kinda low end. When I was putting the sonors together I was disappointed with the rims even the pro m have 2.3 mm rims BUT, after tuning a bit and playing this set for a few days I am 100% satisified I think with the right heads and tune it would be hard to tell the difference in sound between this set and a high end maple set ! Plus for the $$ I got this set for.. what a Great set !! So now you know why I've been going thru all these sets over the past few months to see for myself the difference and to me the way things are nowdays the mid level sets are where it's at !!!
    Last edited by 2slow; 10-25-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Glad you brought this thread back to life, as this discussion has been relevant lately with some of our recent purchases (and Yohin's impending purchase).

I think the great point you make is that high end is awesome if you can afford it. And those that are fortunate enough to own one should feel proud. I'd be happy to take Bish's Bubingas off his hands for a handshake!!!!

That being said, the mid-range of drum sets right now is just unbelievable. There's no question that the hardware on my Yamahas isn't super high end (similar to 2S's Sonor experience) but the sound is there and that's what counts. And when you take into account that many of us are getting $1000 for about $500 on sale, you just can't beat it.

Tama Superstars
    Mapex Meridians (both lines)
    Ludwig Epic and Element
    Gretsch Catalinas (all the varities)
    Sonor Force 2007 and 3007
    Yamaha Tour and Stage Custom
    Pearl Vision (all the varities)
    PDP X7 and FS (and probably others I don't know)

These are all quality drum sets at an affordable price. Sets you can play in your basement, in church, or any pro gig.

And this list doesn't even include what you might call the high end of the mid-range stuff. Those sets that are like $1500. Sets like MXC Masters, Renowns, Starclassics.

It's a really good market for drummers and it's about time!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I think as stated before it would take a drummer to notice the big difference from high end to mid range. I think it also depends on what you do with your drums, if you just play for fun in your basement then their really isnt a reason to high end. But if you are serious in a band and making money off gigs then maybe its time to go high end. Also I think the biggest difference from mid level to high end would be in the cymbal department. There are really some big differences between mid level and high end cymbals.

User Info Menu

id put my pro m's against a lot of the big boys of the industry out there as soon as i get the right heads on them. upper level kits usually mean more care and bigger investment as they have all these exotic finishes or there's some feature about em everyone thinks they have to have. mid level all the way
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    I dont own anything I cannot play out. And I have played out everything I own. I have no transportation issue, drum goes in bag, bag into hardcase. And if necessary, the touring cases.

Some of the first differences you notice in comparing midrange and high end kits is the quality of finish. Also the quality of wood used in shell construction, the quality of cut in the bearing edges and how they are finished. The number and type of lugs, as well as quality of finish on the hardware. Every facet of a high end kit is what seperates it from the lesser quality, midrange gear. There is a defining line there that no amount of drummer dedication or good tuning, or head choices will compensate away.

All that said........ There are some very nice midrange drumsets available that serve well enough they have bitten into the high end market very deeply.

There is no functional difference between a geo metro and a mercedes benze luxury car. Both have a motor, 4 wheels, and go down the road. The difference is in the quality. And thats why people who can afford the mercedes do not drive the metro.
    I agree other than I have had a merc. and it was the worst car I ever had

User Info Menu

This is a really interesting thread! There's definitely some great information and insights here. While I'm not experienced enough as a drummer to actually give a valid opinion about whether pro kits are worth it or not, I definitely can recognize the fantastic quality of today's mid range kits. And that's why I'm getting one.

But as Pwinnington brought up...it's definitely different with cymbals. There's a HUGE difference between intermediate cymbals and high-end.
    Matt

User Info Menu

i hear alot of, iv been saving up and i cant afford a high end kit, so mid range must be as good

don't kid your self's its the heads and you that sound good not the drums, the drums just project that awesome sound you got going there .

ok maybe im bending the truth a little

User Info Menu

i have always thought that as well, i mean theres different shell types and measurements, but a name isnt gonna make you a successful musician
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I agree other than I have had a merc. and it was the worst car I ever had
    And, of course, that it's a false analogy. No one is comparing DW to a very low end entry level kit. We're really talking more like the difference between a Honda and a Mercedes. The Mercedes might be better "quality" (which is arguable actually), but mostly you pay for brand name and a ton of features you may or may not use. Performance you probably won't use, etc...
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Pro level kits have nicer finishes.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

A lot of good info and opinions in here. My Pearl SMX is a mid level kit, and my DWs...well, they are DWs.

Both have maple shells, and the difference is really night and day. Now, I realize that they are from two different makers and the techniques for shell construction differ, but all I know is from what I own and IMHO the high end was worth the $.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Imperialstar View Post
    That follows my point. One of the most coveted drum sounds in the 80's was Stewart Copeland in the police. For years live and in the studio he used an imperialstar kit with it's basic steel snare. It was his tuning and playing that made the greatness, not some exotic wood or finish.
    This... Totally..

When I was in highschool and for a few years after, I had a set of Tama Rockstars with the steel snare that came with the set. I recorded a few demos with them and the engineer at the studio we recorded at told me it was one of the best sounding sets he had recorded, and the house kit was a beautiful set of 80's jasper Gretsch. But I always changed my heads regularly, learned how to tune my drums properly, and did not cover them with duct tape and O-rings... So even my cheap Tamas always sounded great.
    Last edited by sqadan; 10-26-2009 at 12:28 PM.
    '68 Ludwig Downbeat kit in Blue Sparkle
    Early 80's Ludwig "Big Beat" kit in Natural Maple
    '68 Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14"
    Premier Gen-X Birch / Maple in Dark Cherry
    Premier Gen-X Snare in Dark Cherry 5-1/2x14"
    Premier Modern Classic Birch 7x14 Snare in Natural Finish
    Zildjian Cymbals (Mix of A's A Custom, K Custom)
    Premier / DW Hardware / Vic Firth 5A's

Proud Member of the Zildjian Leauge

User Info Menu

I say this because no matter what high end kit someone buys, something else can equal or beat it.
    Then what beats a Unix stave Bubinga kit?
    Matt

User Info Menu

a pearl mcx is 6ply maple. a pearl vmx is 6ply maple. one costs 600 more for the same amount of drums than the other. i cant see the reason in buying the more expensive one
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The pearl are definitely constructed differently. A friend of mine has mmx and dw. The mmx are more focused and cut more, the dw are fatter/rounder nearfield. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. One doesn't "blow away" the other, it's just a different type of sound.

A know a guy that bought a Unix stave bubinga kit after playing dw's for the past 6 years. He said "To say the stave was an upgrade from the DW's [performance) is an understatement". From his demo recordings, the stave kit made his DW's sound tiny and weak. The stave sounded bigger, louder, cleaner, with more cut and resonance. And they cost less than DW's.

I say this because no matter what high end kit someone buys, something else can equal or beat it.
    I am not saying that DWs are the best...TRUST ME...I am not about to go down that road on this forum, or any other for that matter. It's just not worth it, and I don't feel like defending my Dubbs today.

What I was saying is that between my two kits, the SMX being a mid-level kit, it's not a Masters kit. I have played Masters kits and they sound tons better than my SMX as well. The Sessions are great drums and I love them, but between the two, the DW wins hands down.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

What you are paying for in a high end kit is quality of hardware,finish,shell's [maple,etc. come's in different qualities]. I've owned several DW kit's along w/ Tama Starclassic,Nooble & Cooley,GMS,Premier and other's.I take my drums out to gig,try my best to keep them clean but s!#* happen's and drums will get nicks and dents if you use them. I heard expensive drums sound OK and I heard OK drums sound great.I have a old Pacific Chameleon kit 12x20,5x10,6x12,7x14.I've added rims mounts and recovered it in white marine pearl.This kit use to sell for $599 w/ hardware.Drummers will always come up to me and ask about this kit as it sounds big but is so compact.I get more comments about the sound on this kit then any expensive kit that I played.The other thing is that if you play out often , sooner or later you will need a beater kit.Its that outside gig w/ no tent,share your kit w/ the other band drummer who is a basher,etc. We all have a kit we would like to get if we had the money. If you can get it ...Go for it. It feels good to gig on a great kit !!! If not ... Spend some money on good heads , rim mounts [if your kit doesnt have them] and work to get a good sound w/ what you have. A cheaper kit doesnt have to sound bad !!!

User Info Menu

12x20 bass? what did that sound like?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum