Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mid level to high level

Larrysperf Guest

Default mid level to high level

I dont really see the difference in the 2 as they all pretty much look and sound the same . On some hardware is a little better but really what do you think is the diffrence. I have heard some high end kits that were amazing but have also heard some mid level kits that were just as amazing, but thousands apart. Nuff said This thread is to let others know that its ok to buy and like mid level kits also I should add sorry I concider my kit mid level and the finish on it is one of the best I have seen on any Ludwig,and some other brands
    Last edited by Larrysperf; 03-29-2009 at 07:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: mid level to high level

I agree. My Mapex M Birch sounds as good as any high end kit I've heard in stores etc. In my opinion it just takes the right heads and proper tuning. But then again, it also depends who's listeng to them...everyone has their own tastes, etc.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

thanks Larry cause I have really wanted a pro level set and have no where near to compare so I keep asking myself is it worth the extra $$ especially with the moola as tight as its been lately

User Info Menu

I agree with the statement made by Chaz on the M Birch. Truly a pro sound when tuned right!
    Whether it is worth the extra $$$ for a high end kit...hmm...?
    The attention to detail on my Gretsch Purewoods ..
    The wood quality...
    The high end shell hardware/hoops..

I didn't think I would be on this side of the fence when it came to intermediate vs. pro level. Now that I own a pro level kit, I can see and hear why they cost more...but how much more is too much more??
    -Les

User Info Menu

Chazbro hit the nail on the head, good heads, solid tuning and a drummer who is motivated can make just about any kit work.

Damo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I dont really see the difference in the 2 as they all pretty much look and sound the same . On some hardware is a little better but really what do you think is the diffrence. I have heard some high end kits that were amazing but have also heard some mid level kits that were just as amazing, but thousands apart. Nuff said This thread is to let others know that its ok to buy and like mid level kits

It raises a good point. Its all a matter of taste.
    I have a midrange Sonor Force 3007 and and fully decked out custom Sonor Designer, and the biggest difference I notice is in feel. That is to say, the Designer uses a higher grade (more dense, harder) maple which responds more accurately to my playing. The Designer is also a lot louder than the Force, which I also attribute back to the higher quality wood.

Of course hardware is upgraded too, but with many kit at the top end, hardware isnt included anyway, so youre free to put on whatever you want.

Some intermediate kits sometimes use the same wood as their pro counterparts, like the Meridian vs Orion.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Damo!

I only have an intermediate kit - Gretsch Catalina Maple - but when I go to the music stores, I can definitely see a difference in the depth of the finish. I've heard others on the site say that the pro level kits have a finish that can stand up to the road. I have no doubt that my kit would take a beating if it went on the road.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Damo!

I only have an intermediate kit - Gretsch Catalina Maple - but when I go to the music stores, I can definitely see a difference in the depth of the finish. I've heard others on the site say that the pro level kits have a finish that can stand up to the road. I have no doubt that my kit would take a beating if it went on the road.
    You are wise not to doubt the Cat maples road worthiness. The kits were pretty much designed for the gigging drummer. -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    You are wise not to doubt the Cat maples road worthiness. The kits were pretty much designed for the gigging drummer. -Les
    Defo agree about that statement
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Step 1. Purchase used low end kit
    Step 2. Learn to play said low end kit with exceptional skill
    Step 3. Obtain endorsement from High end kit manufacturer
    Step 4. Receive high end kit from aforementioned manufacturer
    Step 5. Profit!

Larrysperf Guest

Whats really sad is when someone gets a kit that they wont take out and play when drums were made to play because they are afraid they might hurt or scratch them. Thats just wrong drums are made to play so play them. Frank has a priceless set as far as Im concerned and he plays them. Nuff said

User Info Menu

You make an excellent point Larry. After all, if I get a new car, it wouldn't make any sense to just keep it stored in the gagrage, unless it is an investment item. Some drums can be seen that way (ask Ploughman), but for most of us, it just wouldn't make any sense not to take the drum out to play them.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yep it's sad alright!!!
    Especially when that high end kit will barely fit into your car and by forcing it in you run the risk of scratching an irreplaceable instrument..

-Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 04-01-2009 at 05:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Whats really sad is when someone gets a kit that they wont take out and play when drums were made to play because they are afraid they might hurt or scratch them. Thats just wrong drums are made to play so play them. Frank has a priceless set as far as Im concerned and he plays them. Nuff said
    Don't you worry Larr, I'm takin my kits out all the time, and I'm pretty sure I've moved more than 1 cymbal stand into them! Just touching them not smashing them. I try to be cautious when I'm setting up, but I didn't buy them to put them into my bsmt museum!

User Info Menu

You make an excellent point Larry. After all, if I get a new car, it wouldn't make any sense to just keep it stored in the gagrage, unless it is an investment item. Some drums can be seen that way (ask Ploughman), but for most of us, it just wouldn't make any sense not to take the drum out to play them.
    The Renown Purewoods are sort of an investment item.

-Les

User Info Menu

I never took my Recording customs to gigs when I got them.I had TC's for gigs and the REC. stayed set up in my drum room.Now the recording customs go gigging and the maple customs stay put.Not everyone will have more than 1 kit so of course they're gonna gig with what they have,but, If you had a high end kit and a med. ya gig with the med.I think about taking the maples out but I probally won't. I'm probally around $7500 on them with cymbals why would I take a chance with them.I still regret taking my Rec. Customs,live and learn.IMO med.$ kit is good for gig'n and if it gets scratched, oh well.
    Last edited by zzzdanz; 04-01-2009 at 06:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I agree with you Larrysperf!!!!!!

I saved....and saved...and saved gig money to get the high end kit I always wanted....and the last thing I was going to do was keep it at home as a practice kit!!

I don't mind the occasional road scar on my kit!

Very good point man!
    Jackstraw
    DW Collectors Series

ThePloughman Guest

I dont own anything I cannot play out. And I have played out everything I own. I have no transportation issue, drum goes in bag, bag into hardcase. And if necessary, the touring cases.

Some of the first differences you notice in comparing midrange and high end kits is the quality of finish. Also the quality of wood used in shell construction, the quality of cut in the bearing edges and how they are finished. The number and type of lugs, as well as quality of finish on the hardware. Every facet of a high end kit is what seperates it from the lesser quality, midrange gear. There is a defining line there that no amount of drummer dedication or good tuning, or head choices will compensate away.

All that said........ There are some very nice midrange drumsets available that serve well enough they have bitten into the high end market very deeply.

There is no functional difference between a geo metro and a mercedes benze luxury car. Both have a motor, 4 wheels, and go down the road. The difference is in the quality. And thats why people who can afford the mercedes do not drive the metro.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 04-01-2009 at 06:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    I dont own anything I cannot play out. And I have played out everything I own. I have no transportation issue, drum goes in bag, bag into hardcase. And if necessary, the touring cases.

Some of the first differences you notice in comparing midrange and high end kits is the quality of finish. Also the quality of wood used in shell construction, the quality of cut in the bearing edges and how they are finished. The number and type of lugs, as well as quality of finish on the hardware. Every facet of a high end kit is what seperates it from the lesser quality, midrange gear. There is a defining line there that no amount of drummer dedication or good tuning, or head choices will compensate away.

There is no difference between a geo metro and a mercedes benze luxury car. Both have a motor, 4 wheels, and go down the road. The difference is in the quality. And thats why people who can afford the mercedes do not drive the metro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I never took my Recording customs to gigs when I got them.I had TC's for gigs and the REC. stayed set up in my drum room.Now the recording customs go gigging and the maple customs stay put.Not everyone will have more than 1 kit so of course they're gonna gig with what they have,but, If you had a high end kit and a med. ya gig with the med.I think about taking the maples out but I probally won't. I'm probally around $7500 on them with cymbals why would I take a chance with them.I still regret taking my Rec. Customs,live and learn.IMO med.$ kit is good for gig'n and if it gets scratched, oh well.
    I agree with this statement.

-Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 04-01-2009 at 06:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post

There is no difference between a geo metro and a mercedes benze luxury car. Both have a motor, 4 wheels, and go down the road. The difference is in the quality. And thats why people who can afford the mercedes do not drive the metro.
    +1 on this.. Owning a high end kit and an intermediate kit I can finally see and hear the difference! I do have a small car that I have a time getting my 24" kick to fit into...That kit will stay put at home or studio.

-Les

Larrysperf Guest

Yes He has amazing sets and plays them all

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Don't you worry Larr, I'm takin my kits out all the time, and I'm pretty sure I've moved more than 1 cymbal stand into them! Just touching them not smashing them. I try to be cautious when I'm setting up, but I didn't buy them to put them into my bsmt museum!
    Another amazing kit

User Info Menu

Hello-new to this site and it is amazing. Just getting back into drumming, meaning the new products out there, been playing for years though. I have a Tama rockstar with evans skins and the sound changes, either indoors, behind a cage or mic'd. I know this kit isn't the cream of the crop in terms of quality. It's doing it's job, but would i look for in a mid to high end kit, not judging them by only price? Maple seems to bit a big factor, i play mostly rock. Thanks and again a great site!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tctdrum View Post
    Hello-new to this site and it is amazing. Just getting back into drumming, meaning the new products out there, been playing for years though. I have a Tama rockstar with evans skins and the sound changes, either indoors, behind a cage or mic'd. I know this kit isn't the cream of the crop in terms of quality. It's doing it's job, but would i look for in a mid to high end kit, not judging them by only price? Maple seems to bit a big factor, i play mostly rock. Thanks and again a great site!!
    Welcome to DC tctdrum!

-Les