Thread: mac, digidesign, protools...

User Info Menu

Default mac, digidesign, protools...

can you use other hardware(mixer, preamp and such,) with pro tools, or do you have to use digidesign hardware?
    also, will the macbook pro with the 2.4ghz processor work well with pro tools? 2gb memory, 250gb hard drive
    thanx
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Default Re: mac, digidesign, protools...

jazzkat,
    Pro Tools requires digidesign hardware. When you say mixers and preamps, it's not entirely true that you have to use Digidesign hardware. If you want to use a console that interfaces with Pro Tools, then yes you have to use Digidesign hardware. Pro Tools requires that the A/D engine (for lack of better term) be specific to Digidesign.

They make Pro Tools LE with different hardware like the MBox, M-Audio, etc. but you can't purchase just any interface and expect it to work with Pro Tools LE. I personally use an MBox to take full blown Pro Tools project from say a Nashville studio and dump them into my little Pro Tools LE software which allows me to edit tracks, cut and paste, yadda yadda. Does that answer your question?

User Info Menu

kind of. thank you.
    so there is the hd, le, and mpowered.
    I am really diggin that mackie onyx 16 with the perkins eq. i just want something portable for live that i can also do close miking on my drums with 16 channels in a home studio.
    i think the onyx boards are firewire compatable. does pro tools support firewire?
    also, would the eq be necessary since there are eq's on the software? hmm

what about just 16 channels of xlr inputs. how do i get 16 real xlr channels without the enourmous studio board?
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

I don't think you will get the 16 channels you are looking for in the Pro Tools LE or M-Powerd arena. The "real" pro tools stuff will do what you want but you will definately shell out the bucks for it. You can't plug a Mackie board into a computer and use Pro Tools software with it. I think unless you are willing to spend some big dollars, Pro Tools isn't even an option.

If you are trying to get the best of both worlds with regards to recording as well as live, then yes, the Mackie board would be a valid option. As far as the eq, you wouldn't want to use a computer to run the EQ in a live situation. So the EQ on the hardware/mixer is a better setup for that. As for the eq while recording, if you use the hardware/mixer eq, that will typically get commited to the recording. The benefit of using software EQ is that you can eq all day long after you've recorded the tracks.

Lastly, if you want 16 XLR inputs and you want to record each track individually, then you will need some device to convert those channels to digital. Most devices integrate the mic-pre into the A/D device like the Mackie board does (make sure it will convert all 16 channels though?). Real studios use external mic pre's that then output to a A/D device which then feeds the signal to the computer to record. The mixer in this case is essentially a control surface for the computer software as the audio signal doesn't ever really "flow" through the mixer. There are lots of companies out there doing A/D boxes like PreSonus, M-Audio, Focusrite, MOTU, and a ton more. Most USB/Firewire boxes only do 8 channels though. Tracking 16 tracks at a time over USB/Firewire is a litle unreliable in my opinion.

Google the MOTU HD192, this has a PCI card for your computer that has an onboard audio engine to handle that many tracks.

User Info Menu

Hey guys I use a Digidesign 002 modded by black lion and a ADA8000 ADAT ( also Black lion modded). I have 16 channels as the ADAT interfaces with 002 via the light pipe. Therefore I have my 8 inputs on the 002 ( 4 have pre amps) and 8 inputs on the ADA8000 with 8 preamps. Also there is a SPDIF input on the 002 adding another two inputs. All of my mixing is done by my brother who is a mixing/studio engineer but I "play" with my mixing on my 002. Classically, I will record a session playing to a stem track and I will send it to my bro who does his magic.

BTW if you guys want something that sounds better than pro tools HD and is MUCH cheaper. check these guys out at Black Lion audio. I am not affiliated with them just a more than happy customer and beyond impressed.

User Info Menu

am in the process of a similar setup nucjd. the digi 002 connected via light pipe to a digimax LT = 16 simultaneous inputs.
    the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Mapex Pro M Rock, w/ medium A customs, Mastersounds hats, Aquarian Super Kick II, Remo Pinstripes, gilded w/IRON COBRA double pedal

Private in PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY