Thread: i just bought stick control and the new breed

User Info Menu

Default i just bought stick control and the new breed

i never had any drum books so im not sure, which should i start with? does it matter? and should i finish one book (i know it may take load of time) before i start the other or i can work on both together? like 1 hour/day for stick and 1 hour for gary
    Last edited by drummer; 03-29-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Watch the Language in here please

User Info Menu

Default Re: i just bought stick control and the new breed

I would work them both together, I have stick control which is a good book to work with. It's basically rudiments for marching and stuff like that, but you can mix it up with your kick drum, toms, hi hats ect.... You could work off of page 5 for the rest of your life coming up with different things just for those on that page, with that said it's a good book to have, but I would split them up and work on both.

User Info Menu

I agree I would work them both together. Warm up with the stick control book, and then move into the Gary Chester Book (which can get pretty advanced). Have fun with it!!!
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

If you mean Stick Control by Stone, that was the first book my snare instructor gave me as a child(fifth grade). My junior high percussion teacher was taught by George Lawrence Stone. Pretty cool huh? I still refer to that book today.
    Last edited by Reverend D.; 03-30-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

new bread is great book

i started on ted reads syncopation

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    new bread is great book

i started on ted reads syncopation
    To this day I still go to my syncopation book.I've been pulling out some books I had boxed away,stick control was in there.There is some good stuff in those books for beginer to advanced.I found a jazz book (brush work) and realized I have more rust on my jazz then the Titanic.Break up your practice like a gym routine.Work on 1 thing 1 day and another thing the next day.For me working 1 book for an hr. or so and then another book just get's confusing.Slow and steady w/metronome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hedon- View Post
    i never had any drum books so im not sure, which should i start with? does it matter? and should i finish one book (i know it may take load of time) before i start the other or i can work on both together? like 1 hour/day for stick and 1 hour for gary
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo HEDON Creative artistic open minded drummer artist cat * within alot of wisdom aware-ness knowledge * STICKS CONTROL is a fantastic BOOK of amazing (WORKS) so is REBOUNDS &ACCENTS & JIM Chapins ADVANCED TECHNIQUES For the Modern JAZZ DRUMMER and TEED REEDS SYCOPATION * I could list many more as I use all these on a every day ROUTINE*like working out**EXTREMMMMXXXXX**GRACIAS as this is a very ancient spiritual ANCIENT ART FORM & its a life time and beyond to master **you will gain Great structured DISCIPLINED CONTROLED ADVANCED TECHIQUES within t your ARTISTIC UNIQUE DISTINCT ARTISTRY within all your artistic Journeys
    **Gracias

User Info Menu

Work with them both
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^