Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lp aspire line

User Info Menu

Default lp aspire line

how do you all feel about the lp aspire drums?

User Info Menu

Default Re: lp aspire line

Quote Originally Posted by ranger42 View Post
    how do you all feel about the lp aspire drums?
    Scroll down to the thread "Congas" Its all in there
    L4C

User Info Menu

A set of used Matadors would be more worth your money in my opinion. Still a decent starter drum though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    A set of used Matadors would be more worth your money in my opinion. Still a decent starter drum though.
    I had some Pros say that one used Matador for $200-$300 is better than three bad drums. I have a set of Aspires and I will play them until I am ready to spend $1000 or more on a set of more heavy duty and warmer sounding drums.

PS:
    I think I "play them"... just don't ask my wife and five kids if I play them or just bang on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    I had some Pros say that one used Matador for $200-$300 is better than three bad drums. I have a set of Aspires and I will play them until I am ready to spend $1000 or more on a set of more heavy duty and warmer sounding drums.

PS:
    I think I "play them"... just don't ask my wife and five kids if I play them or just bang on them.
    I totally agree. The Matador's are excellent drums for the price and can totally be used in a professional setting. A used set can easily be picked up for around $300. The aspire line is a great starting place though; however I'd advise against spending alot of money on new skins and suggest saving that $$ for a drum upgrade. It's really the no name brands you need to stay away from. Used congas don't really fetch a big price, usually half the cost of new, so it is pretty easy to find a quality set for cheap.

User Info Menu

Used congas don't really fetch a big price, usually half the cost of new, so it is pretty easy to find a quality set for cheap.
    There are some exceptions though................right?
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    There are some exceptions though................right?
    Vintage/Rare is the exception. Even these can be found for a cheap price if you're willing to search.

User Info Menu

is a set of 3 barely used aspires with stand worth 350?
    or should i hold off for a better line as a beginner?

User Info Menu

I paid $400 including shipping for three semi used aspires with three stands so I think $350 delivered would be a fair price for three. I have been shopping the Aspires for a while before I got these three drums.

User Info Menu

Or start off with one drum like a good used Matador and add to the collection one drum at a time as you develop your skills?

User Info Menu

just got the call right after my last post.
    i'm able to get all 3 with stand for 250.

i know how must pros feel about the aspires
    but for the price and being a true beginner,
    i am going to take them.

thanks for you advice and help.
    it's truly appreciated.

User Info Menu

just got the call right after my last post.
    i'm able to get all 3 with stand for 250.

i know how must pros feel about the aspires
    but for the price and being a true beginner,
    i am going to take them.

thanks for you advice and help.
    it's truly appreciated.
    I would get them. Hopefully no cracks in them. Sometimes the wood one's will crack if going from extreme temp. climate changes like my Quinto going from Florida to dry Eastern Washington State. It had a crack but I glued it and it seems to be ok.

User Info Menu

I bought my daughter (24yrs old) an LP Aspire Djembe (key-tuned) this past Chirstmas - she loves it.........she's just starting out though. It's kind of a nice sounding drum. They're made out of Siam Oak or Thai Oak (common names for the Rubber Tree). Not anywhere near as much bass as you find in the heavy carved wood cord-tuned variety. But not a bad drum to start with(from Santa ).
    Gary

User Info Menu

I bought my daughter (24yrs old) an LP Aspire Djembe (key-tuned) this past Chirstmas - she loves it.........she's just starting out though. It's kind of a nice sounding drum. They're made out of Siam Oak or Thai Oak (common names for the Rubber Tree). Not anywhere near as much bass as you find in the heavy carved wood cord-tuned variety. But not a bad drum to start with(from Santa ).
    I love that fat supertumba! I bet it sounds so deep and warm?

User Info Menu

boy am i getting clobbered on another site for my decision to purchase
    my aspires.

they might be the most hated drums.

User Info Menu

my aspires.

Get used to it. I am still licking my war wounds.

User Info Menu

my aspires.

ranger , welcome to Drum Chat .........where members dont get flamed .

The Aspires are the most popular set of congas LP sells . Not sold for 1000 bucks but still sounding very nice and priced just as good .Good luck with the purchase .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    I love that fat supertumba! I bet it sounds so deep and warm?
    Yes it does. All my Valjes are sounding pretty nice. I've been using (tucking) LP skins lately, but I may want to try something else in the future - just to see the difference.

Any suggestions?
    Gary

User Info Menu

Yes it does. All my Valjes are sounding pretty nice. I've been using (tucking) LP skins lately, but I may want to try something else in the future - just to see the difference.

Any suggestions?
    A thick cow hide will really bring out the warm vintage tones in those Valjes. I've had good experience dealing with Tony Stern, you can find his contact info on congaplace. You may even call Ralph Flores and see what he has to offer.

User Info Menu

A thick cow hide will really bring out the warm vintage tones in those Valjes.

Thanks - I'll email Ralph.

A thick cowhide hu. I tucked some thick LP (Thailand skins) flats on the drums lately - and what a fight with some of them! It's not easy to tuck the old style rims. I got it done - but I was sweating pretty good after.

I bought some of the new lugs (a coulple of my original lugs stripped) and they don't seem to work as well as the old good-quality lugs. Even after lubing the new lugs really well I had a few lock up on me and the only way I got the lug off was to take all the others off and unhook it and throw it away. I've ordered a few more ( the ones with Valje stamped on them). I would prefer the older ones. Do you know where I could get any? I'll email Ralph too regarding this.
    Gary

User Info Menu

my aspires.

Ranger, don't let 'em get to you. As Gonefishin said, we don't flame people around here at Drum Chat. I started drumming on a ddrum D2 kit. It is the cheapest of kits, and gear snobs would have had a field day with me, but I had to find out if I had the talent before I risked a bigger investment. I have since upgraded my drums - and cymbals - but that first kit was the right call for me, just as the LP Aspires can be the right call for you. Only you can make that call, but remember that if it gets you going, it was the right call!

Oh, and I've got LP Aspires, and for now I am quite happy with them.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

!..thank you drum chat..!
    appreciate the support.

User Info Menu

A thick cowhide hu. I tucked some thick LP (Thailand skins) flats on the drums lately - and what a fight with some of them! It's not easy to tuck the old style rims. I got it done - but I was sweating pretty good after.

I agree a thick hide can be a pain in the rear to tuck, having a second person really helps. My first tuck job took me an hour to get the darn nuts on the lugs. From my experience, the older traditional rims are actually much easier to tuck than the newer comfort curve style rims. I really like the rounded rim on the new California Gon Bops, they look very comfy and easy to tuck.

User Info Menu

Any suggestions?
    I'm getting ready to slap on a mule from Greece pretty soon so I will let you know how it sounds. I'm sure like wine it will get better with time.

User Info Menu

my aspires.

I'm pretty sure I know which site, you dealing with professional Latin conguero, some of the best teachers, owners of vintage conga shops and mule skin dealers. They all have great knowledge of the conga "religion" and can be very helpful with any issues pertaining to the subject although their hands probably may not touch anything less than a mule skinned Jay Bereck or Volcano drum so of course their going to beat ya up on the subject. I was the power engineer for five years for two stages and I've actually seen local bands use Aspires and they sounded great! It is a beginner drum but it's the best beginner out there but that's just my opinion.
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images