Thread: My first BONGOS!

User Info Menu

Default My first BONGOS!

I just purchased my first pair of bongas. I got a pair of LP Aspire Accent Series wood Bongos. I know they are not the best but they sound great to me. I dig the color too. Now all I need is to know how to play
    Any tips? Do you guys untune them when you not playing so the heads will last more? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick

One more thing. Is their such thing as a stand that connects to my conga stand so their is not two seperate stands?
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: My first BONGOS!

Cool C2P! Those are very similar to my own bongos, and I love the finish too. I never really thought about detuning the heads in between playing, but then I like to just stop and play even a little, whenever I go past them. As to a possible clamp on to the existing conga stand to mount the bongos, I haven't seen anything like that, and I wonder if there is any room between the congas to clamp onto the stand. I just use a separate stand for the bongos.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks PB.

Guys I need some advice. I have a guy selling me a used pair of LP Fiberglass Black bongos for about $30 bucks more than what I bought the LP aspires for.He is selling them for $150.00
    The LP's are alomst $300 bucks brand new. Here is a simular picture of the ones the guy is selling me. I get a full refund for the aspires so its not a problem getting my money back. WHAT SHOULD I DO???? HELP?
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on the condition of the used bongos. Also, how do you like the comparative sounds? I've never owned fiberglass drums.

I've been told that fiberglass drums are a bit more fragile than wood drums, but have nothing to back that up.

Are you trying to match the bongos to any other drums, with respect to finish?

If it was me and the fiberglass bongos were in great condition and the heads were in good condition, with room left on the lugs to continue tuning them. I'd probably go for the higher quality drums.

My realitively uninformed $0.02 worth.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply.
    Im not trying to match them up but now that I think of it, the fiberglass ones match my church congas. Im going to look at them and play them today. I like my new Aspires but I'm preaty sure that those fiberglass ones sound alot better.

User Info Menu

I would definitely go with the fiberglass originals! I used to own a set of these and I was thoroughly impressed with them. The heads will be better quality as well as these are professional model bongos and come with LP hand picked heads. Fiberglass will sound a bit different than your wood drums, a brighter tone with much more projection, slaps sound AMAZING! The fiberglass shells and heavier hardware combine for a much more durable set of bongos than your Aspires and should last you a lifetime. $150 is a very reasonable price.

User Info Menu

Thats what I needed to hear G If the guy still has them and there in good shape I'll pick them up tonight. Thanks.

User Info Menu

C2P.....you will find the wood drums have a warmer sound than the fiberglas. Let your ears do the deciding for you . Even still , 30 $ is a low price to get started playing hand drums .Good luck,keep us posted on it .