Thread: Help needed from experienced Drummers! Please!

User Info Menu

Talking Help needed from experienced Drummers! Please!

I am looking to buy a new drum Kit after being years out of the scene. I have narrowed it down to two kits in my area . One is the PDP MXE series 7 piece same as their web site shows. with 5 piece hardware pack Price $3000.00 CAD taxes in. I don't really like the sound of the kick drum on this as it is.

The other is the Yamaha Absolute Maple Noueau 6 piece $3270 tax in CAD for just the drums. Hardware is extra but i have some of my own anyway ($4055 with the hardware included) The kick on this set is amazing!

To me the Yamaha seems like the better quality set. Better finish, Die cast hoops, sounds great! The PDP is a maple set as well and of course it is a line of DW but does not seem to me to be the same quality. I know the Yamaha is more expensive than the PDP so ehnce the quality......but is it worth it??!?! I don't mind spending the extra if the extra value is there.

I was also looking at a Sonor 3005 series .....although less money ($1350CAD) and that sounded good as well ,had maple shell and included some harware. It would be a big price difference but it is a 5 piece .

So if you guys can give me a hand i would appreciate it .Need to make up my mind. If you have good or bad comments about either set.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

I have played both,And they both sound good.I do agree that the PDP aren't as good Quality as the Yamaha set.I have a friend who plays nothing but Yamaha and I play his Sets alot and they all sound good,And are good Quality.Overall I would probably go with the Yamaha Absolute Maple Noueau...

User Info Menu

yes yes yes, the yamaha is a pro quality kit, where as the pdp and force series sonor are intermediate kits.
    i would take the force 3005 over the pdp. the force kit is great for what it is. you are right about the pdp, nowhere near the quality of dw collectors.
    if you are serious about getting back into it, you know the answer already.
    i took an extended (bout 6 years) leave from serious playing until 3 years ago.
    when it came time to buy a new kit i looked at ALL the new intermediate kits aswell as all the used pro kits in my price range. i was very set on buying a brand new kit. i was lucky to find an older pearl masters kit(early 90s all maple) for a great price and a financing deal. i am very glad i went with a used pro kit because i have put it thru a ton of gigs and i dont think sonor force, ludwig accent, pearl export, pdp, mapex pro m...ect could take it. just my opinion tho.

User Info Menu

I have the Ludwig Accent Custom Fusion,And it has been throught alot of my bands gigs and hasn't let me down yet.The Accent Custom is the Highest line of the Accents from Ludwig,And in my opinion are just as good as the other Ludwig Sets....But I would definitely stick with the Yamaha,Because it's a pro set,And wayy better quality that PDP or the Sonor Force...Get a Delight from Sonor if Your looking for a good set,But they are pretty pricey...

User Info Menu

Default Thanks guyS

Thanks for the reply guys....... i was thinking the Yamaha was the better chioce for the money!

Anyone else have any comments???????????

User Info Menu

I m assuming u live in canada ? if so go to long and mquade and and pretty much any kit u want that is in canada will be available to you. free shipping and option of finance also if u dont like the kit jus return it in 30 days for full money back o yeah an pdp has really poor construction pulled a wrap off a 10 maple tom you wouldn't believe what i found :(

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys !!! I bought the Yamaha's ! Now all i need it to learn to play again!! LOL

Thanks for the opions ....it made up my mind for me!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Help needed from experienced Drummers! Please!

Cool that you found the drums--and if you need any help, you'll find a lot of experienced drummers to give you what you need. For my part, start from the beginning and practice (to knock the rust off)...but it sounds like you're gonna do fine!

Go for it, newfounddrums...and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I prefer to buy drums made in the USA but the Yamaha are nice tubz. I have always liked their hardware. I play GMS drums & they now have A LINE OF IMPORTS that are close in price Check out gms.com Rob & Tony are great guys to deal with.
    Dave H.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave H.
    I prefer to buy drums made in the USA but the Yamaha are nice tubz. I have always liked their hardware. I play GMS drums & they now have A LINE OF IMPORTS that are close in price Check out gms.com Rob & Tony are great guys to deal with.
    Dave H.
    I typed in gms.com and I got some drywall company...lol I dont think you have their address quite right. I would like to check them out.

User Info Menu

Hmm have you ever considered Pearl masters or Mapex orions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDrummer
    I typed in gms.com and I got some drywall company...lol
    Drums made from Drywall Hey... we could make millions!

You can find GMS Drum website here --> http://www.drumlinks.com/drum-links-manufacturers.htm

User Info Menu

GMS Drums are out of Long Island , New York, USA. Most of their shells are made by keller. Good Custom drum shop. their "real" website is www.gmsdrums.com BTW I do not work for them nor endorse em.. I'm a Ludwig Man!! LOL
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newfounddrums
    Thanks Guys !!! I bought the Yamaha's ! Now all i need it to learn to play again!! LOL

Thanks for the opions ....it made up my mind for me!
    still around man? how ya like dem yammies?