Thread: Question on paradiddles

User Info Menu

Default Question on paradiddles

Hi folks!
    I just got my new Roland TD-4 and am trying to perfect my paradiddles. I am consciously making an effort in keeping the accent on just the first note, but I have noticed that my accents are occasionally on the first 2 notes. I am sure it is more me than the kit, but I am wondering if the kit is not triggering correctly.

Any advise?

Thanks!
    Ed

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question on paradiddles

Quote Originally Posted by skeets View Post
    Hi folks!
    I just got my new Roland TD-4 and am trying to perfect my paradiddles. I am consciously making an effort in keeping the accent on just the first note, but I have noticed that my accents are occasionally on the first 2 notes. I am sure it is more me than the kit, but I am wondering if the kit is not triggering correctly.

Any advise?

Thanks!
    Ed
    Hi Ed:
    Maybe try turning down the sensitivity on your snare a little. Huck

User Info Menu

WAIT

Before playing with any electronics.... The accent of a paradiddle should be on the 1/4 note so it should sound like this

ONE e and uh TWO e and uh THREE e and uh..... etc.

You sticking should be like this

R L RR L R LL R L RR L R LL R L RR L R LL...... etc.

Try practicing the paradiddle on one of the rubber tom pads with the kit turned OFF. You will hear the accent of your sticking against the rubber pad without the digitized sound and you will know immediately if the extra accent is from the pad or your skill.

If your accents are clean, then you can detune the snare pad sensativity. If they are not clear, then leave the pad sensativity alone and practice the rudiment, but do it slow and clean.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

As an addendum, once you "master" the paradiddle, feel free to move the accent to where you want it and practice it that way as well.

R L RR L R LL

and so on and so forth.

You can do SO much with a paradiddle.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=CycleDude;187557]WAIT

Before playing with any electronics.... The accent of a paradiddle should be on the 1/4 note so it should sound like this

Yeah. I meant that, but I guess I was not being clear enough. Mine sometimes sound like: R l r r L R l l

So, do you think the placement of the accent is more or less important than speed and accuracy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skeets View Post

Yeah. I meant that, but I guess I was not being clear enough. Mine sometimes sound like: R l r r L R l l

So, do you think the placement of the accent is more or less important than speed and accuracy?
    I'd think its best to concerntrate on the accent and accuracy for a start and only build up speed once you have a good level of control over the pattern.

When I was learning the paradiddle I remember I had to concerntrate on getting the upstroke right before I could get the accent right. Once I got upstroke right, getting the accent right came easy.

User Info Menu

work on singles, doubles and paradiddles, give them all equal practise time,
    Only when you do this will your diddles be smooth.
    dont forget the other fun stuff too. ya know flam a diddles, drags, taps rats etc etc etc.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    WAIT

Try practicing the paradiddle on one of the rubber tom pads with the kit turned OFF. You will hear the accent of your sticking against the rubber pad without the digitized sound and you will know immediately if the extra accent is from the pad or your skill.

If your accents are clean, then you can detune the snare pad sensativity. If they are not clear, then leave the pad sensativity alone and practice the rudiment, but do it slow and clean.
    Smart man, could not give a better way to go about that