Thread: Gibraltar GRSP-CW Curved Rack

User Info Menu

Default Gibraltar GRSP-CW Curved Rack

This review is for those of you who didn't get a chance to read my long rant in the new set thread...
    Overall, I do not like this rack. The system itself is very lightweight and good for someone with a one-up-one-down setup with a floor tom that has legs. The first thing I noticed when setting up the rack is that the front curved bar is only adjustable to about 3 3/4 feet from the ground which would create a terrible situation for someone with a kick around 24", I was having some trouble with a 22". This scenario meant I had to mount my toms at a flatter angle than I'm accustomed too.
    Second big problem was that I am somehow the lucky guy who always finds the greatest deals on drums... that are all hanging So I put the curved side wing to the test and mounted my 14x12" tom, which is what it's meant for. Immediately after mounting, the whole system tilted back toward me and the front end was off the ground. Fixed this with a bunch of folded up cardboard under the back legs.
    Next BIG problem was with the memory locks which were said to be the best feature. After having finally solved my problem with the weight ratio, I tightened the memory lock ALL THE WAY onto the wing so much that my hands hurt afterward. What do you know? The lock starts sliding at the slightest presentation of weight. I did a little single stroke roll and had the tom go from a 90 degree angle to about 65. Btw, the tightening of the locks leaves really nasty dents in the rack which really is the only reason I'm not taking this thing back.
    A couple very pleasing features, this set comes with pretty much everything you need for a setup with 4 toms excluding arms for the clamps, I ordered 3 DW L arms. Also, the two free boom arms at both ends of the system are quite convenient, I'm only using one stand now for my other 18" crash. One last thing that sort of puts me down is that the rack resonates a ringy sound when you hit the drums mounted on it, annoying.
    Like I said, overall this rack would probably be a blessing for someone with a simplistic setup and need of convenience between gigs, but for my own personal preferences and mechanical analyzing, it didn't cut the top 5.
    322949jpg.jpg
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gibraltar GRSP-CW Curved Rack

Well, I love mine and have pix up. Mine didn't balance until I moved the uprights into the "other" hole in the floor supports. You can see my pix in the tread entitled Stupid Rack tricks. I would not want to mount my floor tom, I mounted my ride over there. I have two crashes in the front, and I mounted my cowbell and soon to be bought wood block on the other arm. As far as the toms on the rack, I like them being flatter. The snare is flat, the floor tom is almost flat, so why would I want the mounted toms all slanted? I had to cut the tom arms but I have no space issues and could adjust the mounted toms at quite an angle if I happened to like them slanted. I will say the PDP looks a little sturdier but I haven't been close to one to know for sure. For a guy with 2 up 1 down, 2 crashes and a ride, it is primo!!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

My rack has 2 curved sections and the wing over my HH. I have 8-10-12-13-14-16. all mounted usually (just took the 13 off).I have 3 legs instead of 2 so no tipping problem at all.I threw the memory locks out the day I bought it, so I have no idea about them.I'll say my 16 FT is a bit much to hang on there with out have'n to reaallllly tighten the clamp.My biggest problem is the curved bars turn just a tiny bit when I transport it to a gig, it's hell trying to get it back so the legs sit right and straight.I'm gonna solve this problem tomorrow with some sheet metal screws thru the clamp and into the curve,Problem solved.It won't be able to turn at all and then no worries.I usually gig with a 24" BD and yup the legs on that rack pictured are to short.I had an older straight pipe rack I just cut some legs, I don't know if they give you any type of option when buying it for that or not.Other than that, no complaints.I'll never go back to stands,for what I have it would be a royal pain in the ...!......sheet metal screws..pretty barbaric eh!

User Info Menu

Just a question guys... if you only have a "simple" set up, why would you even bother with a rack?

User Info Menu

My drums are in the living room. I can't take up much space, and I need to move them quick once in a while. The rack makes it less trips and less fuss and muss to reset. I just take off the toms and haul it out to the patio! Plus I like how the Pearl toms hang from the rack versus from the bass drum. They are more level and easier for me to play. I also like how my two crashes worked out. I just think it is a nice clean setup.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    My drums are in the living room. I can't take up much space, and I need to move them quick once in a while. The rack makes it less trips and less fuss and muss to reset. I just take off the toms and haul it out to the patio! Plus I like how the Pearl toms hang from the rack versus from the bass drum. They are more level and easier for me to play. I also like how my two crashes worked out. I just think it is a nice clean setup.
    I saw some pics Charly.looks nice and clean.