Thread: Thoughts on recording

User Info Menu

Default Thoughts on recording

I think one of the best things a drummer can do is take the time and money to invest in recording themselves! You never get the opportunity to step in front of yourself playing to listen to areas of improvement. I was SHOCKED when I heard myself for the first time. In my head, I was JAMMING, on tape, not so much The grooves were sloppy, not really in place, etc. My opinion is that most drummers get stuck practicing to other drummers and alot of the time are a bit behind the groove. I know I was (still am). I also recommend finding minus tracks and seeing how well you can keep the groove. It's easy to hide behind the original drummer!

As far as recording, I say start with a kick drum mic, a snare mic and an overhead condensor (even the cheap jobbers will work). Then add microphones as money allows. I personally use a Line 6 UX8 to do my conversion from analog to digital (8 XLR inputs). I use the included Cubase LE to do my recording, and all mixing is done within the computer so I didn't have the expensive costs of a mixer to worry about.

Here's a link to my experimental projects page:

http://www.novotx.com/tracks/

Rock On!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thoughts on recording

Sounds great jason. I am slowly building up some recording gear, too. I have 3 Nady SP5 dynamic cardioids and I just ordered som Cad CM217 for overheads. I just need a kick drum mic, cabling and some way to route it into the computer.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Great post! Your drums sound wonderful. I would like to hear the cymbals more. That song is beautiful! Who is it? I don't post much in here but I'm a fan of soft jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDog View Post
    I think I also recommend finding minus tracks and seeing how well you can keep the groove.
    Jdog, Drum Bum has a Drum Play Alongs site.

User Info Menu

Very nicely done!

Top quality sound. What kind of kit is that again?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

CycleDude,
    I would look at any of the analog to digital conversion boxes available. Most come bundled with basic versions of software (which could save you some money). I do max out my UX8 when I record my kit so it wouldn't allow me record a band, etc. but to me it's worth it. I usually have the bands send me a computer project, then I can lay down my own tracks at my own schedule, etc. (I say that like I'm a busy studio drummer, which I am not). Let me know how it goes with the new gear.

su_admin,
    Thanks for the feedback and the link, I'll check it out for sure!

Bish,
    Thanks for the compliments, the kit is a DDrum AMX believe it or not

User Info Menu

Bish,
    Thanks for the compliments, the kit is a DDrum AMX believe it or not
    I knew that and was just being a smart-allic for Mortaldrumbat who thinks he doesn't like ddrum.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Not like drumbat would read that anyway, Bish.... LOL!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Not like drumbat would read that anyway, Bish.... LOL!
    Especially now.

Good point, CD!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Rofl!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Beautiful JDog! I liked the soft jazz number too, and you did an outstanding job on it. The drums sounded great! I'll take so time later to go through more of the songs, because I am impressed by your work.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks pastor_bob,
    Here's another fun latin/jazz tune I recorded today. I know you are all such fans of this style of music!

http://www.novotx.com/tracks/AngelFire.html

User Info Menu

how much are audio to digital converter boxes? and my set is n a different room than my computer, so are there like extension cables or something
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Thanks pastor_bob,
    Here's another fun latin/jazz tune I recorded today. I know you are all such fans of this style of music!

http://www.novotx.com/tracks/AngelFire.html
    Very nice JD! Are these all tracks without the drum line, so that you can play along?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

gretsch,
    Analag to Digital boxes vary in price depending on how many inputs, etc. If you want to track your entire kit (typically eight channels on these A/D boxes) then you will be looking at $400 on up for a box. If you want to track your drums using less microphones, then you can get into a box for a couple hundred bucks. I purchased a Tascam bundle a year or two ago for under $200 that has an A/D box and a condensor mic. I personally use a Line6 Toneport UX8 to track my drums (8 inputs) and I want to say it was about $499?

pastor_bob,
    Yes, these are all minus tracks. The last song I posted was actually a Rippingtons tune that never had a "Drum" track if you will. Just percussion. When I first heard the tune I thought it should have a drum track, so I added one

User Info Menu

I agree when i watch and hear myself play i realise it is pretty sloppy and bad. Makes me work harder

As for recording. I believe all you need is a decent condensor. Put over head. or infront of the kit in a large ish dead room. Professionals just use that then use the tiniest insignificant amount of close miking to define the sounds. But with some good vsts you can remove the need for that. Soon as you close mike everything and leave out a condensor. you get phase inversion and ruin the sound of your kit.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters