Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mule Skins

User Info Menu

Default Mule Skins

I ordered 1 mule skin from Theo "El Greco" Godas-DESCARGA PERCUSSION Greek Mule Skins and I can't wait! It will be placed on my Conga 11 3/4" drum since I use it most. My Quinto is a little small for my hands.

Does anyone else use Mule Skins and how much do you like them compared to other skins you have tried...buffalo, steer et?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mule Skins

Mule skin is pretty awesome! It has a very bright tone and sounds controlled and tight. Slaps are amazingly crisp. I also liked the silky feel to it on the hands.I personally prefer a thick cow skin on my gon bops, I like the warm vintage sound, the mule is a more modern sound. I loved the sound of mule on my LP classics though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Mule skin is pretty awesome! It has a very bright tone and sounds controlled and tight. Slaps are amazingly crisp. I also liked the silky feel to it on the hands.I personally prefer a thick cow skin on my gon bops, I like the warm vintage sound, the mule is a more modern sound. I loved the sound of mule on my LP classics though.
    Thanks Gretschhead,

I went with a thinner 2.8mm skin for my 11 3/4" because of the weak hardware.
    I look forward to a more controlled sound because I find the water buffalo skins to be loose and the sound draws out too long.

Besides, I won't sound like Poncho Sanchez unless it's controlled.

User Info Menu

I think I'll soak the Mule Skin tonight and put it on the 11" Matador in the morning.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Mule Skins

How'd that mule skin work out for ya, BC? Let us know, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    How'd that mule skin work out for ya, BC? Let us know, bro'!
    Sweet! I posted on the "Need Interpretation" thread bongobro about this but thank you for asking. I like the slap much better than the buffalo and the hand/finger sound control is much more controlled with the mule also. I am VERY happy with mule bongobro! When $$$ permits I will also mule up the Matador tumba.

User Info Menu

L&h Percussion Has Very Good Mules And Cheap. Ask For Michael

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by giadan0914 View Post
    L&h Percussion Has Very Good Mules And Cheap. Ask For Michael
    Thanks giadan0914,

I am a couple of weeks out for suiting up my bongos.

User Info Menu

Update:

Athens Greece Mule Skins have been ordered for my Matador Bongos!

Finally, a soon to be match made in heaven!
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

From "El Greco" right? I've seen pics of a bunch of his skin and it all looks quality! A lot of good mule skins come from JCR or L&h which I just purchased from, both are good sources and all of the testimonies are positive but from the pictures "El Greco" has the most beautiful mule skin disk I've ever seen! How do you pay? Does he take Paypal or do you send a check? Make sure to post pic of your work BC
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    From "El Greco" right? I've seen pics of a bunch of his skin and it all looks quality! A lot of good mule skins come from JCR or L&h which I just purchased from, both are good sources and all of the testimonies are positive but from the pictures "El Greco" has the most beautiful mule skin disk I've ever seen! How do you pay? Does he take Paypal or do you send a check? Make sure to post pic of your work BC
    L4C
    Yes, I am VERY happy with Theo and his selections of mule skins. Yes, he sends me a paypal invoice. I will post a picture of the skins when they arrive.
    Your right, the skins are beautiful and consistent.

45 euros/$63 inc. shipping for my Matador Bongo skins.

I send him many leads.
    Last edited by BongoCajon; 07-12-2009 at 08:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Not only do we want to see them, you know we want to hear you playin' them!

Sweet, BC!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Not only do we want to see them, you know we want to hear you playin' them!

Sweet, BC!

User Info Menu

Hey BC, how long did it take for those skins to get to you from greece? I'm looking to re-skin some cuban drums I have here pretty soon, and I may be picking up a mahogany gon bops quinto tomorrow that will need a new head as well.

User Info Menu

Hey BC, how long did it take for those skins to get to you from greece? I'm looking to re-skin some cuban drums I have here pretty soon, and I may be picking up a mahogany gon bops quinto tomorrow that will need a new head as well.
    I just got them. About 12 days from the time I ordered them. I will put them on the bongos here in a few days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    I just got them. About 12 days from the time I ordered them. I will put them on the bongos here in a few days.
    12 days isn't too bad comming from Greece. I remember I shipped a set of bongos to a guy in Italy a few years ago, and it took over a month to get there.

User Info Menu

12 days isn't too bad comming from Greece. I remember I shipped a set of bongos to a guy in Italy a few years ago, and it took over a month to get there.
    I am so pumped right now Gretsch! Likely Friday I will soak them and they will be on Fri pm or Sat...

User Info Menu

I have purchased Mule skins from El Greco in the near past and I can vouche for them. The quality is top grade, and you get every dollars worth from them. El Greco seems to be very proud of his skins and goes all out to make sure the customer is satisfied. Just my experience/opinion.
    TROPICAT.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TROPICAT View Post
    I have purchased Mule skins from El Greco in the near past and I can vouche for them. The quality is top grade, and you get every dollars worth from them. El Greco seems to be very proud of his skins and goes all out to make sure the customer is satisfied. Just my experience/opinion.
    TROPICAT.
    Makes two of us and I'm sure many others. Yes, he is rightfully proud of his skins.

Mike

User Info Menu

This is going to be embarrassing... but here it goes

I got the beautiful mule skins for my matching Matador Bongos.

They soaked and I took them out.

I removed the old heads that were on the drums when I bought them.

They had no rings!!!!!

I panicked, instead of re-soaking and ordering rings I went ahead and did a "Macgyver" attempt and blew it! I cut the skins to fit and panicked and fried the skins!!! Ahhhhh!! I used wire and oh...forget it.

I'm a rookie.A $90 mistake.

New pre-made Matador skins are on the way.

Ok, I feel better now.

User Info Menu

BC, the old heads should have had a flesh hoop built into them...that happened to me when I was replacing a head on my black fiberglass CP quinto...if it's any consolation, bro', the mechanic at the drum shop found that out only after he'd taken a head off another drum to cobble mine together...

live and learn, man...next time you'll have the experience!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    This is going to be embarrassing... but here it goes

I got the beautiful mule skins for my matching Matador Bongos.

They soaked and I took them out.

I removed the old heads that were on the drums when I bought them.

They had no rings!!!!!

I panicked, instead of re-soaking and ordering rings I went ahead and did a "Macgyver" attempt and blew it! I cut the skins to fit and panicked and fried the skins!!! Ahhhhh!! I used wire and oh...forget it.

I'm a rookie.A $90 mistake.

New pre-made Matador skins are on the way.

Ok, I feel better now.

Ouch BC ! What kind of heads were on their originally? A matador head should have had flesh rings, were they synthetic??? See if you can't salvage the larger skin for the smaller drum, a lot of bongo players are doing mule on the macho for high crisp slaps and putting cow on the hembra for a good low end tone. The last set of bongos I owned had mules on both, I would have much rather had cow on the larger drum though. You can order flesh hoops from rhythm traders for fairly cheap if you ever want to give it another try.

User Info Menu

Ouch BC ! What kind of heads were on their originally? A matador head should have had flesh rings, were they synthetic??? See if you can't salvage the larger skin for the smaller drum, a lot of bongo players are doing mule on the macho for high crisp slaps and putting cow on the hembra for a good low end tone. The last set of bongos I owned had mules on both, I would have much rather had cow on the larger drum though. You can order flesh hoops from rhythm traders for fairly cheap if you ever want to give it another try.
    $ are tight right now. I wish I didn't blow it on the mules...

Bye the way...they had a white, light weight looking heads on them..very worn, soft to the touch...no flesh hoops...

Well, I will suit them up with the buffalo and make the best of it and call it good for now. Like BB said...lesson learned. $90 is a cheap lesson in life.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Bongo Cajon....I know the feeling too. Similar things happened to me in the past, but like Gretschhead said, maybe you can salvage the larger skin for the Macho ( unless it is too thick for a Macho ). Or as another thought...they might be perfect for someone's bata drum. Those heads are usually smaller on the smaller size batas. I would just let them dry out and keep them for future use in case something like that comes up?
    Take care.

User Info Menu

I get my skins from L&H Percussion. Michael has sweet mule and at times he has bargains. Just a last month he had awesome mule with a blade cut on the side for $10.00 and it was a nice dark brown color. Sorry to hear about that you mule but.....sorry but i got a giggle out of it...........give him a call and his handling is super fast.