Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Software?

User Info Menu

Default Which Software?

Hi all, im surprised there hasnt already been a thread on this. I just wondered what software people use to record. Im trying to find something affordable but good to use. I have several programs im considering. I also want to use it with VST plugins to compose computer music, not just record drums and a band. I wanna use a midi keyboard with it.

1) Cubase 4 - Ive heard good things about it but it is pretty expensive. I would buy it though if need be.

2) Freeware (e.g - Audacity LMMS...) - Ive tried using audacity before but didnt like it. LMMS seems cool but i havnt had a chnace to test it out. I reckon i would prefer buying somethinbg though for better quality and more features

3) Energy XT - I got a version of this in a music tech magazine. It seems actually pretty nice. But the version i got only lets you have 3 synth tracks. To upgrade is 39 euros, im not sure whether its worth it

4) REAPER - This seems pretty cool. Ive downloaded a demo of it but it expires in 30 days Its $50.

Could anyone recommend any of these or something else? Cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which Software?

I'd be curious to find out what you don't like about Audacity.

I've been using it for a few years and have no bad experiences with it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've been using Cakewalk Home studio for quite a while now, for Midi and audio recording and it works very well. I paid about $100 for it, not sure what it is selling for now. I think they have changed the name now also, I believe it's called Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio Now.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I use Audacity

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I use Audacity
    Ditto. Haven't done much recording, but it seems to do what it should.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Mysterious Stan,
    When I'm not beating the crap out of the drums, I like to write and arrange my own tunes. I use Cubase LE (free with Tascam USB box) with Gigastudio (again, free with Tascam USB box!) and a Fatar 88 key weighted keyboard. I'm upset that Gigastudio kind of fell off the planet. I know Tascam purchased it and has tried to keep it going but man it was/is an AWESOME piece of software. What kind of music are you looking to write? I personally write the "pretty" stuff. Here are some sample songs I did. Note that all instrumentation including cello, piano, guitar, horns, etc. are Gigastudio samples (whether that's good or bad!), so all computerized.

http://www.expressinghope.com/Reflec...eflections.mp3
    http://www.expressinghope.com/Reflec...artingWays.mp3
    http://www.expressinghope.com/Reflec...nspiration.mp3

If you have the bucks, check out www.soundsonline.com, anything from EastWest studios is the BOMB!

User Info Menu

I use Mac's Garage Band. It was free with my MacBook Pro. I'm just toying with it, so I don't really know how good or conversely how limited it can be.

DWDrumr uses Adobe Audition for his videos, so check with him about that one.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JDog View Post
    Mysterious Stan,
    When I'm not beating the crap out of the drums, I like to write and arrange my own tunes. I use Cubase LE (free with Tascam USB box) with Gigastudio (again, free with Tascam USB box!) and a Fatar 88 key weighted keyboard. I'm upset that Gigastudio kind of fell off the planet. I know Tascam purchased it and has tried to keep it going but man it was/is an AWESOME piece of software. What kind of music are you looking to write? I personally write the "pretty" stuff. Here are some sample songs I did. Note that all instrumentation including cello, piano, guitar, horns, etc. are Gigastudio samples (whether that's good or bad!), so all computerized.

http://www.expressinghope.com/Reflec...eflections.mp3
    http://www.expressinghope.com/Reflec...artingWays.mp3
    http://www.expressinghope.com/Reflec...nspiration.mp3

If you have the bucks, check out www.soundsonline.com, anything from EastWest studios is the BOMB!

Yeh this is the kind of thing i wanna get back into, nice tunes btw. I used to do some composing on my old PC but it sorta broke. I dont really do anything of a genre or anything-i just usually discover an ostinato or something i like and work other stuff around it. Once i get a new program il probably try doing my old compositions with better sounds and quality and stuff and post them up!

User Info Menu

This stuff is so confusing to me.I have a Korg Triton that I basically know nothing about except for how to get piano sounds.In my bands rehearsal room we have pro-tools,a Mac thingy, and the guys all have there mac books.Of course all the recording stuff/Mac computer thingy and a boat load of mics where all bought as a band (except for my keys) and I have no clue.They don't even let me turn it on.

User Info Menu

I used Reaper & Audacity to record my guitars and much prefered Reaper, it was excellent.

Reaper is provided with FULL functionality that does not expire after a evaluation period.

They just trust that after a 30 day evaluation you'll pony up the $50 for a non-commercial licence if you continue to use it. So technically you don't HAVE to pay the licence fee for it to continue to function.
    Drums & Hardware
    Mapex Q Series Fusion 5pce / PDP SX 13x5" Acylic Snare / Coated EC2, Genera Dry, EMAD2 / Gibraltar 6607 Hi Hat Stand / Pearl P120 Pedal / Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Pedal / Mapex B323A Cymbal Stands.
    Cymbals
    Stagg Myra 20" Crash (Ride) / Sabian B8 18" Med Crash / Meinl HCS 16" Crash / 10" Stagg Myra Splash / 14" Zildjian A Custom Hi Hat.
    Other
    Vic Firth 5A Sticks / Korg Beatlab Metronome / HQ Soundoff Mutes / Gator Bags (Drum & Hardware) / Rockbag Bag (Cymbals & Sticks)

User Info Menu

Mysterious Stan,
    I hear you, I have like 4 or 5 old hard drives that all have crap strung out on them. I don't know that I could ever get them all put back together enough to salvage the songs :(

I am interested in hearing your stuff. Let us know if you get things up and running.

User Info Menu

audobe audition 1.5 .... Free off most piracy sites lol.... actually think the licence is open now anyway. Dont like version 2. they stuffed it when it became sony audition or some other crazy company.

cubase isn't really worth the money i don't think... But that also comes free with a lot of hardware you can buy.

I got a program with a line six product... I cannot remember the name of it though ahh... But its pretty simple and good to use.

I got reason somewhere too but thats only good for techno, dj music ..... midi music and stuff.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I m still on Cubase SX3, it really has been rock solid, and if you are a student is far less.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I am using garage band. It does a lot of the basics. The limits are the high end tweaks like inverting phase of a channel, precision eq, and other effects.

I have cubase 4 le, but have not installed it yet. Cubase 4 doesn't seem to like sony vaios at all. The sony firewire port doesn't interface.

Liquid 8 is a recommended package for the mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    All it takes is a commitment to your commitment.

User Info Menu

abelton

User Info Menu

I use Pro Tools 8 with my 002R. Infinitely adjustable almost to a fault and requires some dedication, but once you have it down it is an unbelievable platform as I record acoustic and midi trigger with my TD kit. Bit rate is pretty darn good as well. I really like the ability to elasticize and quantize as well as the ability with one click to tranforme my tracks into sheet music.

User Info Menu

I have been using Cubase for about 4 years now, If you are a student of know a student with student ID you can get an educational discount. Search the web on educational discount software. There are a few great sites out there.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I have been using Adobe Audition 3 its expensive but its worth it.

User Info Menu

I've always heard good things about Reaper (my brother-in-law runs a recording studio and he uses it).

I have Sony ACID Music Studio 7.0 on my PC (I don't believe in Macs...), and I think it costs like $48 or something.

I'll probably try out Reaper, though.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I use Sound Forge 4.5 for the most part... But, Audacity is a real easy program
    to contend with. The cake walk effects with Sound Forge are pretty cool to
    enhance stuff with. I've got a few others too, Just seems like they have a purdy
    stoudt learning curve..? Still end up using two different computers as the files get
    a wee bit massive sometimes. It all goes to the mp3 format after the fact tho...

Another cool program is, Power Sound Editor. It's free, It's kinda weird... After I
    run my spyware checker, She don't work no more. I can reinstall it. Just a weird
    jikky deal, Cool program and lots of potential.

Have Cool Edit pro, Don't care too much for it personally. Seems overly difficult..?
    Cubase, I just haven't fooled with it much, Sooooo, Can't +or- there.
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'd be curious to find out what you don't like about Audacity.

I've been using it for a few years and have no bad experiences with it.
    There are sevearl members who have used it . Im with Bish , what is it that you didnt like , because I was looking at getting it at one point myself .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

they all do the same thing.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Very true rmandelbaum. The key is using the software you have to its maximum.

User Info Menu

yes i argee all the different DAW's will do the same thing

it really depends on what gui you like

User Info Menu

I downloaded Mixpad the other night and have been having fun with it laying down tracks like vocals, guitar, lead, bass, ans some hand percussions. When I get a good mix I'll post the stuff. I also plan on checking out a few mentioned on here. F/T