Thread: Remo Pinstripe Clears and Powerstrok 3 Coated (Snare)

User Info Menu

Default Remo Pinstripe Clears and Powerstrok 3 Coated (Snare)

Ok, so as some of you know who have been in the shoutbox the last couple of days I FINALLY was able to go and get some new heads for my Dixon kit last night.

I ended up going for the Remo Pinstripe pro pack, which included a Powerstroke 3 Coated snare head as a bonus, which was great.

Let me start by saying - easiest to tune heads I have ever used. Usually I am tweaking and adjusting non stop over a few days when I tune heads, these went on, i followed a basic idea for each tom (as per their little guide they give you) and BANG, each tom came into tune without any real effort.

Personally I like the whole "sounding miced when your not" sound, and that was what I was hoping for with these. What did I get? Just that. The design of the heads is perfect for elimanting all unwanted overtones and excess resonance (which usually compression and noise gates will do when miced) so you basically just get a nice, clean, fat sound almost as soon as you put the head on. The only variance is the pitch you want. And this is not hard to find.

I had all three toms tuned to each other just nicely with the tiniest amount of effort I could have imagined. I had high hopes for these heads and was not disappointed.

Now the Powerstroke 3 - this was an added bonus - not something I was planning for, but definately necassary. I will note, the snare it was going on has bleen played consistantly, every week for a good 6 years, maybe more without being changed - needless to say, it wasn't exactly what you call a "coated" head anymore, but it still did the job so it was left alone by those playing it.

I wasn't sure about the Powerstroke 3, I had never used it, hadn't heard anything about it, so wasn't sure what to expect. again I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. Initially I had it tuned too low, so the snare wasn't cracking the way I like. I tightened it up a little more from there and before I knew it, I had a nice, controlled snare crack, again without any excess tones or ringing (things I had struggled with in the past that usually needed Rem-O's or some other muffling device). The only downside I will say, is due to it's design, it's not the best for playing near the edge of the snare - something I am prone to do during certain song parts. Let me explain

Previously, I had only used coated evans heads on snares I had played, which created a somewhat tight, almost reggea sounding effect towards the outer edge of the snare. This came in handy during certain songs and for certain effects. The design of the PS3 elimates this and instead gives a very low, very loose sound instead - great for light working snare rolls and things, but not so good for what I used to do there. Oh Well, I'll adjust, and keep tweaking till I find the exact balance I like. I did the snare on limited time as it as getting late, so all things considered, it came up pretty sweet.

In the end I will finish with this - the Pinstripes - will recommend them to just about anyone. The PS3, I think it's a good head, but I'm not totally sold on it yet. I'll wait and see
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 03-31-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Pinstripe Clears and Powerstrok 3 Coated (Snare)

Glad you like the pinstripes crazy, they are a great head for many genres, easy to tune and they really last a long long time.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

i have a set of clear pinstripes on my pearl export, get a nice deep tone

User Info Menu

Pins for the wins 80% of the time.

For the other 20% it's a toss up between Coated Ambassadors and Evans G2 clears...

As least that's my experience with Pearl, DW, Sonor, and TAMA.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I just got a some Pinstripes today. So far they're ok, nothing mind-blowing. I think I just have to tweak with them a little more, though.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I just got a some Pinstripes today. So far they're ok, nothing mind-blowing. I think I just have to tweak with them a little more, though.
    For a sustained tone, they rely on the reso head to reso....

Have the bottom head singing.

If you don't want resonation, tune down the Pins.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm currently using the combo of Pinstripes over Clear Ambassador's and love it a nice fat, deep, full tom tone.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Im running a coated PS3 on my Superstar snare and I love it. Nice loud crack with with some nice control.

User Info Menu

6 years on the snare ? ! You could probably skin some roadkill and stretch it over and would still sound better than a 6 year old head.

User Info Menu

I have Remo Pins on all my tom's, with a Remo Emperor X reverse dot on my snare. They take a knockin' and keep on rockin'.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I just got the same pack yesterday!! I asked GC if they had the Aquarian Perf II coated heads, they said no. They also said they didn't have the Response IIs either.. So I got me some Remos. I wanted to experiment, I just put the heads on and STILL haven't had a chance to try them yet. I hope they're at least as good as my original Evans.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

I use PS3's on my snare and all my drums and they sound amazing I have had nothing but compliments from other drummers that heard them can't go wrong with PS3's

User Info Menu

A batter head offset with a slightly thinner reso head will always make your drums sound beautiful. If you think that may be more then you would like, then use the same head for as batter and reso...clear or coated as per your preference.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I've also got some Pinstripes, I like the sound of them and I haven't tuned them properly.

Although my Propack came with a coated Ambassador for the snare, which was cool.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I love the sound of the powerstroke against my poplar wood snare (tama says it's steel, but it's obvious it's wood). Toms still have a ring with pinstripes. But overall, better than the previous evans heads!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    I love the sound of the powerstroke against my poplar wood snare (tama says it's steel, but it's obvious it's wood). Toms still have a ring with pinstripes. But overall, better than the previous evans heads!
    Were your old heads the stock heads on your imps, or were they genuine evans? I used to have an imperialstar set and once i put real evans heads on(I don't think the imperialstar has evans as stock) it sounded much better. And tama never seems to update their website as much as they should, so even though they say the imperialstar snare is steel, i believe its a 6 ply wood snare like you mentioned.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Someone here said the imperialstar has evans as stock. Northern Redneck, I think. And it's obvious the snare is wood. If you're going to say what drums you have, you might as well just tell the truth. Most people want to know that instead of "I want to know that the imperialstar has a steel snare".
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Yeah NR is right in the fact that tama uses evans for their stock heads, but at least when i got my imperialstar the heads were not evans, maybe they are for yours though. And i agree with what your saying about telling the truth, always easier in the long run.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Remo Pinstripe Clears and Powerstrok 3 Coated (Snare)

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I have Remo Pins on all my tom's, with a Remo Emperor X reverse dot on my snare. They take a knockin' and keep on rockin'.
    Lol i have the same. The pinstripes they have at my school are over 10 years old and still sound great (and they're in a high school, so you can imagine they've been abused)
    The Emporer X is awsome. Perfect for my metal snare. Nice crack with almost no resonation with no muffleing!
    Drums:
    A ???? jazz set ( yet to be discovered, it's debadged ) with a Tama singstar 10" tom, a 12", 13" and a 16" floor tom all with internal dampeners all held up by a tama power tower rack, a percussion plus 14" snare, a set of custom k high hats and a Ludwig Speed King bass drum pedal