Thread: Go to Whoa of Basic Recording

User Info Menu

Default Go to Whoa of Basic Recording

Guys, apologies for asking what is probably the most basic of questions but I've had a look around here & I can't find a basic guide to recording yourself drumming. I've read in a few threads that it's often beneficial to record yourself playing your drums but I have no idea where to start with this.

Can someone either point me in the direction of another site with this information or list some detailed step by step points on what to do in this thread, listing some basic gear to buy, programs to use, where to start recording, set up etc?

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Go to Whoa of Basic Recording

Hi Chris,
    For me, I say start with a bass drum mic and snare mic. After all, this is where most time is being kept. You can find drum mic kits that bundle snare / bass, toms, etc. I like to spend a little extra money on my kick drum microphone so I opt out on these kits unless they have a nice kick drum mic. I personally have used a Shure Beta 52 as well as an AKG D 112. There are plenty others out there, shop around. Experiment with baffles and placement of the microphone to find that sweet spot. As for the snare, I use the old stand by, Shure SM57. Again experiment with mic placement, my preference is just above the rim pointing towards the center of the drum, that's not to say I won't move it around for different sounds. After getting the bass and snare, I would add a condensor for your overhead. If you can only afford one, then place it over the kit or in front of the kit to capture most of what is going on above the snare and bass. Lastly, add a condensor to the hi-hat and/or tom microphones. This will allow you to play with panning on the toms, bring levels up and down, etc. for the overall mix.

The next step is to figure out how you want to record. This will be based on your budget. I recommend spending the extra money and getting a device with at least 8 inputs. I personally use a Line 6 UX8 as my interface but there a ton of similar devices out there. Basically this device converts the analog microphone signal to digital. All you have to do is plug this into a single USB port on your computer. The one thing I really like about the UX8 is it gives you simulated modeling for two of the inputs. I use these on my bass drum and snare drum to emulate a nice mic pre. This might be a bit much for first time recorders though. You have to do some configuration with routing and what not to get this to work right. I'm also not sure what software ships with this device. I would look for a device that ships with Cubase LE or Sonar, etc. This will save you quite a bit of money up front. I will try to do a tutorial on how I route and configure things on my computer when I get a chance. For now, I say go shop a little and ask questions on here and I'm sure we can offer some advice?

User Info Menu

Here is mine method, and I also included my thread on how I make my videos, hope it helps.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...thod-8485.html

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ideo-9244.html
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

If you want high quality sound then you must go microphone/mixer/software but if you just want to record yourself drumming, use a simple camcorder and SD card and record your playing and then put the SD card in your PC or copy files from SD card to hard disk and you should have AVI's or MPEG files for viewing without having to do anything else.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

My basics of recording. Prices in AUD

Toneport UX2 300odd bucks.
    condensord mic 300 odd bucks.

Various recording programs and vsts from all over the net.

Shazam! lol, i wouldnt mind having a sound quality battle with peoples to prove one condensor can do it all :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters