Thread: E-drum Question

User Info Menu

Default E-drum Question

For my birthday my mom and her boyfriend are thinking about getting me the Roland V-Lite series. So far I have not done any research.

Good Choice?
    Bad Choice?

User Info Menu

Default Re: E-drum Question

I'd go for the TD-4 over the HD-1. It's got much nicer rubber pads for the toms than the lite in my opinion, comes with a stand alone kick, nicer rack and it is only a bit more in price. The TD-4 supports the VH-11 hi-hat, which can be a nice upgrade if you want a more realistic feeling hi-hat. The TD-4 also has 1 extra input which can be used to add another cymbal or connect up one of Roland's 3 zone rides. There is a lot of praise for the TD-4 on some of the v-drum /e-drum specific web forums.

You also might consider picking up the older TD-3 as some places might be blowing them out with the TD-4 replacing it. I've seen TD-3s in the high $700s recently, with new TD-4 kits advertised around $995.

One thing to keep in mind is you will also likely need throne and kick pedal with the TD-4. With HD-1 I believe the kick is just a simple floor pedal as opposed to the KD-8 kick pad in the TD-4 (kick pedal not included).
    Last edited by MadGary; 04-01-2009 at 08:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: E-drum Question

Talkin Bout Pro & Cons ,,,,I Gotta Get Rid Of My Acoustic Kits Cos I'm Losin My House,,,,I Wanna Go Ekit(so I Can Play In My Closets Of Da New Place),(AND I'LL BE PLAYIN OUT AGAIN YIPPEEE),,,what Brain Will Allow Me To Expand Da Most? I Wanna Hear Choirs,glass Breakin,doors Slammin And Wanna Sample Alot Of Different Sounds,,,,Which Do I Choose? Take Yer Time,I've Gotta Week To Decide,,,,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

KissFan, you might want to PM Drum Chick, because she has the Roland HD-1, so she can give you so good feedback.

PHROGGE, I'm sorry to hear about you losing the house. I think you'll find that the Roland TD-20 brain is the most powerful, but it sounds like you might want something in a specific price range, that you might be able to upgrade later. If that's the case, you'll have to get some advice from the true e-kit guys on here, because I don't know the upgradeability on the different brains.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Im a newbie drummer so take this for what it's worth.

I bought the HD-1 about 2 weeks ago. It has 10 kits total (which is actually 5, plus 5 variations) and a basic metronome. The kits are not editable. The metronome has a dial adjustment and no visible display so you cant tell what BPM it is actually set at. And the bass pedal is in fact a electronic one. At first I thought it was a good idea to keep the thumping sound down, but wasnt really impressed with it.

I decided to return it and bought the TD-4. If you can afford the addtional $250 ($200 extra for the kit, plus $50 or so for a real bass pedal, which is not included) or so for the TD-4, I say go for it! It is definately worth the additional money. It has 25 kits and (I think) 125 different sounds. You can edit any drum with any sound and a number of different ambience settings. The cymbals are chokable (the HD-1 ones are not), and it also comes with a coach mode that helps you develop good timing. You can adjust the sensitivity of the drums. Also. the Pads are beefier than the HD-1. It does take up more room so if space is a factor, keep with the HD-1. The metronome is better, too. It has a number of sounds (woodblock, triangle, etc. and the fist note is accented whick helps me alot when I lose track.) and You can also adjust the metonome to 1/4 notes, 8th notes, 16th notes, triplets) and it has a record mode, which I only used once, because I still sound horrible!

I hope this helps.

Ed

User Info Menu

PHROGGE: The TD-20 certainly has the most inputs, although the TD-12 is reasonably well equipped and the older TD-10 modules are nice as well, but lack some of the new pad support.

Per Rolands Specs:
    The TD-20 has 15 trigger inputs.
    The TD-9 and TD-12 have 12.
    The TD-3, TD-4, TD-6 all have 9.

The higher end modules also have more sounds, more pad options, and more ability to edit the sounds.

I've only had the TD-3, and now the TD-4 myself.

User Info Menu

Hi KissFan300,

I've got a TD-3 (which I believe is the predecessor to the TD-4) and I totally agree with what others are saying about the V-Light kick pedal. It seems to me that good kick drum technique is all about using the weight of the beater and the spring to your advantage. I don't think the V-Light pedal will help much with that at all.

Here I Australia, I purchased my TD-3 kit, used, off ebay for about $1100AUD over a year ago whereas at the moment a V-Light Kit retails at around $1700AUD.

User Info Menu

So if you were in my position where i get a discount off roland e kits what would you get. that is under $700

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KISSFan300 View Post
    So if you were in my position where i get a discount off roland e kits what would you get. that is under $700
    I dont think youre are going to find any new Roland under $700.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what kind of discount you get, but I think you'd be hard pressed to get anything other than the HD-1 under 700, or possibly a blow out on a td-3 given it has been replaced by the td-4. The HD-1 sells online for about $795, and TD-4 about $995. You might be better off looking for a used TD-3 kit than a new HD-1 if you need to get below 700.

User Info Menu

Yeah, stay away from the HD-1. It's been great for me, mostly for the space. I needed something very small because I don't have any room. I'll keep it until I get TD-20 but it's probably not the best Roland choice.

User Info Menu

Kiss fan, Check craigs list...Quick!

With the economy going down, people are selling awesome e-kits for pennies on the dollar. Get a used semi-pro ekit for the same price as a beginner model with better sounds and options. You could score a nice Roland TD-6 or a Yamaha DTXpress for cheap.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 04-06-2009 at 10:11 AM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Talkin Bout Pro & Cons ,,,,I Gotta Get Rid Of My Acoustic Kits Cos I'm Losin My House,,,,I Wanna Go Ekit(so I Can Play In My Closets Of Da New Place),(AND I'LL BE PLAYIN OUT AGAIN YIPPEEE),,,what Brain Will Allow Me To Expand Da Most? I Wanna Hear Choirs,glass Breakin,doors Slammin And Wanna Sample Alot Of Different Sounds,,,,Which Do I Choose? Take Yer Time,I've Gotta Week To Decide,,,,,,
    Phroggee, First thing, I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune about the house man. That sucks.

However, I would suggest for what you want you may want to consider the Yamaha DTXtreme III instead of the Roland. I was researching the heck outa this but in the end I bought an accoustic kit.

The DTX3 has a great multi-level sampler built-in which I don't know if the R has. It has expandable inputs as well. Something to think about.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Cool Re: E-drum Question

Kevin,,,,Thxs For Yer Input.....Dats What I'm Lookin For....
    Folks Who Have Done Some Testing & Tasking So I Can Come Up Wif Pros & Cons,,,,,Anyone Else
    "Wanna Chime In" ????
    (Keeping Wif Da Samplin Theme, Ya'll Notice?)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

im planning on doing a acoustic/electric kit conversion, so td-10 definitely gets my vote based on the trigger inputs and sheer number of kits it has for the cost, usually 500 or less