Thread: Need Drum Head Info

User Info Menu

Default Need Drum Head Info

Hi guys, this is my 2nd thread. and i need help. im getting new heads. and i just wanted to know EVERYTHING i could possibly find about heads. i know i sound like a noob asking all these questions, but im not too knowledgeable on how to get the sounds i want. that sound that i want is more of heavy metal sound. i know there are a bunch of heads that can get taht sound, and what im asking is for all kind of info i might need to get that desired sound. like what kind of heads, tuning, etc. now ive heard that aquarian is really good at getting that kind of sound. and by the way, i want a good metal sounding snare. now i know what to get for the bass drums, and that is the aquarian super kick 2 on batter, and aquarian regulator on resonant. i heard thats a PERFECT combo for a clicky metal sound, which is what im looking for. so guys, go crazy and post replies! thanks so much

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Drum Head Info

Id say low tuning, 2 ply heads. Im not sure whether the heads i have now are 1 or 2 ply but i have them tuned just above hand tightened and they sound quite good. Theres a difference between clear and coated heads aswel, i think maybe coated heads are brighter sounding but id wait for one of the experienced on this forum to comment on this. I think remo pinstripes are meant to be pretty good for metal, i have those sound controlled dot ones which are ok but il get pinstripes next time!

To conclude id imagine youd be looking for 2 ply, clear on the toms with quite loosely tightened tension rods. Sorry i cant help on the snare or bass drum as i dont know alot about those sorta heads and genres. I think the snare is more about tuning as opposed to the head making the sound difference.