Thread: Wrists

User Info Menu

Default Wrists

i heard the other day its better for your wrists in the longterm if you play using your fingeres instead of using your wrists is this true???

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wrists

More than likely you will always have some wrist involvement when playing the drums.
    Playing with fingers only is using the French grip. Palms face each other, thumbs on top and fulcrum betweeen thumb and index finger. Use the middle, ring and pinky fingers to make the stick stroke. This is a hard one to practice slowly because it is primarily designed for speed. As you practice this, pay strict attention to controlling the sticks as they can get away from you and play all over the drum. This is the preferred grip for Timpani.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

not that im aware of...

User Info Menu

I don't think wrist injuries are a common issue or something you should worry about. I play largely with my fingers but there is still a great deal of wrist movement involved.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Work on your core strength and larger muscle groups. The more work they do the easier it is for the smaller muscles in your wrists and fingers to just play without getting over exerted with trying to do other things, which makes them easier to injure.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Don't believe everything you hear.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Have not heard that one either. If in doubt do a wrist warm up, one simular to that used in martial arts warm ups. Rotate the wrists clockwise and then counter clockwise. Take one hand and hold the other and flex the held wrist in an upward and downward motion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    i heard the other day its better for your wrists in the longterm if you play using your fingeres instead of using your wrists is this true???
    Yer fingers and yer wrists need to work together. They need to be flowing, so they work with the music. you cant play feelgood if your "parts" aint all working together, and flowing with the music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend D. View Post
    Don't believe everything you hear.
    True. I've never heard that if I'm honest. Your wrists need to be used in you drumming.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

My teacher (many many years ago) told me it was all in the wrist.

He took lessons from the great Joe Morello and was passing along most of what he learned, and I would have to agree 20 years later...

Fingers and arms allow you to change up what is happening with the wrists, but the wrists are the basis for a good stroke and rebound.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

always heard it is all in your wrists. Now sure I use my fingers sometimes when playing byt my wrists are still involved.

User Info Menu

I agree that the wrists and fingers have to work in concert with each other. Depending on what you are playing, either the fingers or wrists might dominate, but both still need to be working together.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!