Thread: Trad Grip help

User Info Menu

Default Trad Grip help

Most of you know that I'm working to improve my trad grip. I'm right handed but my question is what are some basic things I can do to improve it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trad Grip help

isolate your fingers. its all in the thumb and the propper wrist turn.
    isolate your thumb, then your index finder, and your middle finger. do each one about 50times and do it for about 10 minutes a day until your fingers get stronger.
    then work on propper large muscle development. slow and big.
    rotate your wrist up, stop, then bring your elbow foward lfiting your hand to your ear. stop. bring it down with your wrist still up, stop, rotate your wrist down where the stick meets the head. this is the prper sequence. not counting the good old thum throw and catch. that will come.
    remember, its all in the thumb
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

One question I have about Trad grip... Does it have any advantages over matched?
    - Zack

User Info Menu

depends on what you are using it for. drumset, not really. sometimes it feels better for some stuff.
    but like check it, i used trad grip for playing gong with a drumstick. it was a small gong that hung really low. and i played a cymbal bell with my right hand. so it worked great to use the traditional grip to play at the angle of the instrument.
    it looks cool for drumline and stuff too.
    but as far as basic funtion around the kit, its probably less efficiant. but it depends.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris