Thread: New drum set?

User Info Menu

Question New drum set?

I was thinking of upgrading to a better drum set, the set I got now isn't that great and I think I should upgrade, what would you recommend? I was thinking ddrum? Also is it better to have the tomtoms mounted on the cymbal stands or in the bass drum, what would you advise?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: New drum set?

I'd have to hear more about your playing style, price range, skill level, etc. to recommend a kit, however I personally would not choose ddrum but that's just my preference. I have two toms mounted on my kick and one on a cymbal stand. I don't really like bass drum mounts because they don't give a lot of freedom for placement, but it's not a huge issue. Basically your call on that one.
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

midrange/highend tama , gretch, mapex, pearl, ddrum, yamaha can go wrong with these

play on them all and take your time looking at them all......there's a kit out there with your name on it .....

other wise get some new heads and save a bit more coin..get a pro kit

User Info Menu

Well what drum kit have you got currently? And could you give us a price range so we can help you out more? You can mount toms clamped off a cymbal stand to ease the weight and pressure you put on your kick, but that's just players preference
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Shooterman, the idea of mounting the toms on stands instead of on the bass drum allows the bass shell to resonate more, just like mounts on the toms that support from the rims rather than using and arm that penetrates the shell.

As to a recommendation, you really have to do some work here in order to get the drums that sound the best to you. I love the sound of maple shells, while other like the sound of birch, and there are drums that are a mixture of woods. You have to take some time to hear the drums, and decide what sounds best to your ears. I assume that once you make this upgrade, that you will want to keep these drums for a while, so spend the time to make a good choice.

Having said that, if you can, I would say find a set of Gretsch Catalina Maple drums to hear. It's an excellent quality kit at a good price. The only down side is that you have to like the finishes that they offer, because they are limited.

BTW, I am hearing that ddrum is doing better with their quality control, so I would check out their drums too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Shooterman, the idea of mounting the toms on stands instead of on the bass drum allows the bass shell to resonate more, just like mounts on the toms that support from the rims rather than using and arm that penetrates the shell.

As to a recommendation, you really have to do some work here in order to get the drums that sound the best to you. I love the sound of maple shells, while other like the sound of birch, and there are drums that are a mixture of woods. You have to take some time to hear the drums, and decide what sounds best to your ears. I assume that once you make this upgrade, that you will want to keep these drums for a while, so spend the time to make a good choice.

Having said that, if you can, I would say find a set of Gretsch Catalina Maple drums to hear. It's an excellent quality kit at a good price. The only down side is that you have to like the finishes that they offer, because they are limited.

BTW, I am hearing that ddrum is doing better with their quality control, so I would check out their drums too.
    You really cannot go wrong with the Cats. Being a Ludwig guy I would reccomend the Ludwig Accent CS Custom and Custom Elite(100% Birch shells, superb hardware, Mapex style tom holders) which retail for a similar price but are birch rather than maple. Birch is generally brighter, a bit more powerful, attacking and punchy and sounds naturally EQ'd. But Maple has a lot of warmth and power and tone and character which birch dosen't have as much abundance of.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

If your looking for a quality midline kit, Id recommend a Mapex meridian, I like maple over birch, but the birch is also a very nice kit. The new 700 series haware is built like a tank, I actually prefer the new 700 series over the 900 series stuff i have. IMO the meridian maple is the nicest kit you can get for under a grand, but to play everything in your budget and pick what suits you best, you cant go wrong with any of the big names they all make quality kit
    Im Rockin
    Mapex Meridian Maple (Volcanic Burst)
    Mapex Hardware
    DW 9000 Double Pedal and Hi Hat Stand
    Remo Heads
    Paiste Cymbals (Alphas and Rude)
    Pro Mark Sticks