Thread: Evans EC2 Coated

User Info Menu

Default Evans EC2 Coated

Well, I've been looking for some new drumheads because the ones on the Mapex are a tad beat-up, and I really liked the sound of some coated Ambassadors I heard on the toms of the brass band I used to play with (tuba :D). However, I did think they left too much of a 'dry' sound on the toms, so I looked around at other coated heads and found the EC2s.

Youtube told me that EC2 clears have a really nice punchy sound which is pretty much what I'm looking for, but I'm still after a slightly less boomy sound, so I thought of the EC2 coateds. Looking on the Evans site, they also appear to be translucent, which happily would look absolutely awesome with my silver kit.

Has anyone got EC2 coateds on their toms, and if so are they worth a pop?
    Mapex Mafia

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans EC2 Coated

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    Well, I've been looking for some new drumheads because the ones on the Mapex are a tad beat-up, and I really liked the sound of some coated Ambassadors I heard on the toms of the brass band I used to play with (tuba :D). However, I did think they left too much of a 'dry' sound on the toms, so I looked around at other coated heads and found the EC2s.

Youtube told me that EC2 clears have a really nice punchy sound which is pretty much what I'm looking for, but I'm still after a slightly less boomy sound, so I thought of the EC2 coateds. Looking on the Evans site, they also appear to be translucent, which happily would look absolutely awesome with my silver kit.

I wouldn't have thought that Coated Ambassador's would have a dry, thuddy sound? They are only single ply heads, and are typically one of Remo's brightest drumheads along with the Diplomats so a Ambassador/Diplomat resonant combo is the industry standard for jazz drummers for a bright, open sounding head

Going a bit off topic but the EC2's are the self muffled heads I believe, basically the Evans equivilant of Remo Pinstripe's. You should get a punchy, dry sound as they reduce a lot of overtones and ring. And with a coated head you're going to probably lose even more overtones making it a very fast decaying head, but gaining a bit of warmth you always seem to get with coated heads. I haven't tried them but it should sound something like what I've described above.
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    I wouldn't have thought that Coated Ambassador's would have a dry, thuddy sound? They are only single ply heads, and are typically one of Remo's brightest drumheads along with the Diplomats so a Ambassador/Diplomat resonant combo is the industry standard for jazz drummers for a bright, open sounding head
    I'd have thought so too, but I very definitely found them to have quite a dry sound in a large hall. They carried really well and were punchy, but oddly dry. Stock Pearl Export resonant heads, if that makes any difference. It wasn't a thuddy sound, though. I really can't describe it.

And yeah, the EC2s are pretty similar to the Pinstripes, but they seem to be pretty warm-sounding and not very dry, which I like. I'm heading to a big drum store in Rotherham this holiday though, so I'll just have to see.
    Mapex Mafia

User Info Menu

EC2's have a nice warm sound. Not too resonant either (they're 2-ply and have that little ring around the edge) I personally think they sound great, and you can definitely get a good punch from them.
    zerOrings are bad people.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post

Thats what I use and love them and have tried many other heads. Love them Nuff said

User Info Menu

i like EC2 clears, i think u should take your kit into your store and let them hear it so they can find out what works for you. here without hearing your kit we cant make a clear judgement. but i personally like EC2s ive only played clears and i loved them, they had awesome tone and i like the stick response like i cant do buzz rolls on my ambassadors but that might be just me. anyway i love EC2s
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Thats what I use and love them and have tried many other heads. Love them Nuff said
    what he said. except i use clear.

User Info Menu

Purchased and installed, and by Gawd, do they sound good.

Harrrrr
    Mapex Mafia

User Info Menu

I too changed the stock tom batter heads on my Mapex Q set for Coated EC2's over the easter break and it's made a World of difference. They're exactly the sound I was looking.

I also changed the stock snare batter head for a Genera Dry, which worked great but that was a bit of a waste of money because the next day ended up buying a PDP 13x5" Acrylic Snare =)
    Drums & Hardware
    Mapex Q Series Fusion 5pce / PDP SX 13x5" Acylic Snare / Coated EC2, Genera Dry, EMAD2 / Gibraltar 6607 Hi Hat Stand / Pearl P120 Pedal / Iron Cobra Power Glide Double Pedal / Mapex B323A Cymbal Stands.
    Cymbals
    Stagg Myra 20" Crash (Ride) / Sabian B8 18" Med Crash / Meinl HCS 16" Crash / 10" Stagg Myra Splash / 14" Zildjian A Custom Hi Hat.
    Other
    Vic Firth 5A Sticks / Korg Beatlab Metronome / HQ Soundoff Mutes / Gator Bags (Drum & Hardware) / Rockbag Bag (Cymbals & Sticks)

Larrysperf Guest

Could be EC2 just dont like Gretschs bearing edge, as it seems owners of gretsch dont like these heads. Or vise versa But really its all in the sound we are looking for

User Info Menu

I am not sure why Gretsch players would have anything bad to say about EC2's, as they sound amazing.As far as the bearing edge, it is the standard 45 degree edge found on most drums.I am currently playing a Gretsch Catalina Ash kit with EC2 coated heads , and they blow the other heads away.It might just be that particular drummers preference, but they sound great on my kit and I can't see me buying anything else.....you never know until you try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    .It might just be that particular drummers preference, .
    This says it all.

User Info Menu

I like the coated on my Renowns! a lot!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

Larrysperf Guest

I tried a set of Aquarion heads and didnt like them at all. Went back to my EC2