Thread: open slap and muff tone

User Info Menu

Default open slap and muff tone

Please describe the techniques.

Example: When you have a right hand open slap what is the left hand doing?

How many different hand positions and sounds can be played at or close to the drum rim?

User Info Menu

Default Re: open slap and muff tone

During the open slap, my left 4 fingers are usually above the outside of the rim for the higher note that is generally going to follow.

As far as hand positions and sounds, the possibilities are endless. A lightly clenched fist on the rim makes a nice muted tone, along with varying number of fingers ( 2 right, 1 left, for example) will bring in a slightly higher ( lower with more fingers on rim) warm tone. I'll also flip my hand over and gently tap the rim with my fingernails during a softer song ( makes a muted ping)

Just my .02 That and another $1.48 will get you a cup of coffee at your local hangout.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shavano View Post
    During the open slap, my left 4 fingers are usually above the outside of the rim for the higher note that is generally going to follow.

As far as hand positions and sounds, the possibilities are endless. A lightly clenched fist on the rim makes a nice muted tone, along with varying number of fingers ( 2 right, 1 left, for example) will bring in a slightly higher ( lower with more fingers on rim) warm tone. I'll also flip my hand over and gently tap the rim with my fingernails during a softer song ( makes a muted ping)

Just my .02 That and another $1.48 will get you a cup of coffee at your local hangout.
    I appreciate the .02 cents and will listen to .03 up to $1.48 or greater.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

For me, when doing the muted, I would basically do an open tone, but instead of pulling my hand off the head after contact (which provides the rich open sound), I would leave it in contact causing the muff to happen.

I don't do the open slaps much on the conga, but the mechanics are similar to the closed slap. You still contact the head in a whip like manner, however, my fingers are straighter and spread out. I also allow them to bounce off the head instead of gripping it.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb