Thread: Bruising on forearm

User Info Menu

Default Bruising on forearm

Hey Guys!

I couldnt find an answer to my question using the search function.

I recently got back into the drums. Ive been playing on and off for ten years. A few days after a brisk forty min session I noticed some bruising on both my forearms as well as some tenderness when I apply pressure. Its my hope that someone here has experienced the same thing.

The bruising was mild blue to yellow. If my arms are out in front of me, palms down like a zombie, the bruising starts two inches from my wrists and goes for two inches after that. It starts from top dead center and wrapped around the inside. Theres no bruising on the outer sides, just the inner half. I can guarantee that there has been no trauma and I strive for perfect posture. I stretch before and after.

Has anyone ever had anything like this? I am worried that I may be causing some long term complications and as you all know, there are few things in my life more important to me than my ears and wrists. There are so many tendons packed into that area that I am quite worried. I cant afford to see a doctor at the moment and this is just one place I am looking for answers.

A link to another thread about this or any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Ill check back often to answer any questions to help clarify.

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bruising on forearm

Go see a doctor.

User Info Menu

I believe that I had the same thing at one time. I will assume that you're over 40 or 50 years of age which means that the muscles are being stretched as you get the hands, wrists and arms back into Drumming condition. The best thing that I can suggest, short of seeing a Dr., is to regulate your practice sessions so that you make a gradual re-entry to playing. It may seem silly but we are not as spry and energetic as we remember ourselves to be on the drums. I am 62 and drumming with an 18 pc. Big Band...and we do play a lot of demanding charts. Lots of fun BUT, I couldn't just sit down and do it without having worked myself back into playing condition. Give this a try...you can always see a Dr., if you really have to.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies!

I was borderline about seeing a doctor, but common sense has prevailed with your concise nudging.

And thanks also for the "short of seeing a doctor" recommendation. I couldnt agree more with taking it easy, which im sure to do.

I guess a part of me was hoping for, 'ah heck, happens all the time, dont worry about it'.

Im only 24, best figure this out asap.

User Info Menu

To have this kind of problem at your age of 24 makes me wonder what your playing technique is like. What kind of stick grip, what angle are the drums and cymbals set etc. We don't think of it but we can hurt ourselves while playing without realizing it. For instance, I play jazz and big band jazz...traditional stick grip. However, when I need to play with more force and authority, I switch to matched grip and I'm more comfortable and experience less hand fatigue. Could it be that you are twisting or turning your hands in such a way as to explain the discoloration and soreness you described?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks Fiacovaz,

I was lucky when I started playing.

My parents got me a Roland V drum set (mesh head rubber rim deal) and hooked me up with a great instructor. So from the get go I was constantly being forced to play with "good" mechanics.

I play matched grip with the high hat almost directly in front of my snare. I play with palms more or less facing down(not thumb up). My power comes from a mixture of fingers tips and wrists, saving the bigger muscles for times when I really want to smash.

All my toms and cymbals are basically flat to increase the benefit of rebound. I am not inhibited by huge drums and stands as I have a rack mount, so everything is really close together and very ergonomic.

One thing about your comment did interest me. It is possible that I twist somewhat. The more I think about that movement, the more it makes sense given where the bruises are located. If im getting tired, I could see my wrists twisting inward more than is apparent to me while I warm up/practice rudiments. Ill keep an eye on that, I think you are on to something!

Thank you so much.

Back to basics I go....yet again....

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Noisejunky!

The chances are good that you have strained the tendons a bit, however that is a long distance diagnosis and it is certainly no substitute for a doctor's examination. Have you experienced any pain since the incidence? If so, you will need to let your forearms recover, so you will need to back off on the playing time, and let any pain be your guide as to how long you can play. Discomfort should be your limit if pain is any part of this.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks pastor bob!

The fact that I have never felt any discomfort is one of the strange parts to this whole issue. But I do feel pain when I press on the location, so time off is definitely warranted.

As stated in one of the posts above, my "perfect posture" may only be in my head and a twisting motion could be the culprit. Im going to take some videos of my sessions and see what things pop out at me.

So far caution seems to be the general consensus.

Ill be sure to stop by and close out this thread after a doctors appointment to help anyone else who may experience this in the future.

So far I am liking this forum very much

Not playing the drums is easier said than done, but I will hold off for now and take it easy.

You guys keep up the good work. I am thankful for all of your advice.

User Info Menu

Glad you're enjoying the forum Noisejunky. It really is a pretty special place. The people around here really do care for each other as drummers, and as people. It's a very supportive place, even though we ocassionally give each other a hard time just for laughs.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

You should not be experiencing bruising without physical impact. Using or exersising a muscle should not show signs of bruising. That is usually a sign of low or damaged platelets. Wich could have underlying causes. I would see a doctor. My mothers a RN and that's her suggestion.

User Info Menu

I really would go and see a Doctor
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

I agree with the whole getting started slowly thing but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Enough View Post
    You should not be experiencing bruising without physical impact. Using or exersising a muscle should not show signs of bruising. That is usually a sign of low or damaged platelets. Wich could have underlying causes. I would see a doctor. My mothers a RN and that's her suggestion.
    ... I agree with this and it sounds like you might have a more serious problem.
    Good luck dude.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noisejunky View Post
    Hey Guys!

I couldnt find an answer to my question using the search function.

I recently got back into the drums. Ive been playing on and off for ten years. A few days after a brisk forty min session I noticed some bruising on both my forearms as well as some tenderness when I apply pressure. Its my hope that someone here has experienced the same thing.

The bruising was mild blue to yellow. If my arms are out in front of me, palms down like a zombie, the bruising starts two inches from my wrists and goes for two inches after that. It starts from top dead center and wrapped around the inside. Theres no bruising on the outer sides, just the inner half.
    I have a question for you.......Why are you asking us and not a doctor?
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

I agree I'd go to a Doctor straight away and ask him
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend D. View Post
    I have a question for you.......Why are you asking us and not a doctor?
    1. I noticed it at the end of the week and couldn’t get an appointment till Tues.

2. I was concerned and this was the fastest way to get some input.

3. I always research. I like to be informed. The awesome members of this forum helped me decide to make the long drive to get a check up.

4. Who better to ask about a drum related injury then a forum full of drummers?

User Info Menu

Awwwwww.
    Hope all goes well at the appointment tomorrow.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Wait... I'm not supposed to do rim shots with my ulna???
    zerOrings are bad people.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Bruising on forearm

Yeah What Frank Said,,,,,Us Elders Haveta Build Back Into It And "It Dont Come Easy"(Remember Ringo Said That
    And He's A Drummer!!!!! )
    Work It Easy Baby,But,Work It.....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

could be some kind of carpal tunnel... even though i don't know if that usually causes bruises or not
    you can get carpal tunnel by using your hands/wrists/fingers excessively

i once got a minor case of carpal tunnel when using my fingers/wrists/hands a lot but it went away after not using them as much

User Info Menu

1. I noticed it at the end of the week and couldn’t get an appointment till Tues.

2. I was concerned and this was the fastest way to get some input.

3. I always research. I like to be informed. The awesome members of this forum helped me decide to make the long drive to get a check up.

4. Who better to ask about a drum related injury then a forum full of drummers?

Oh well, in that case.....
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Hope it's nothing.