Thread: internal drum mutes

User Info Menu

Cool internal drum mutes

got a 13 x 4 hand hammered steel snare was thinking bout installing a internal mute, does any body have opinions on, internal mutes on snares or drums. also any suggestions as what to what to use to install the mute into the drum with out scratching the chome ?

User Info Menu

Hi Lou and welcome to Drum Chat.
    I've never been crazy about internal muffling at all. I get much better results with external techniques.

User Info Menu

I have had a Ludwig Acrolite snare that had internal muffling. It pushes up on the batter head from the inside with a felt pad that is about 2" around and about an 1" from the rim. If you are a hard hitter, you are going to go through heads like crazy, just due to the fact that you have one thing pushing one way, and something else intermitantly hitting it the opposite direction. They work well, but since I have tried both, I prefer to muffle from the outside now. I have'nt ripped a head since I switched either.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

So that muffle pad has really caused you to rip that many heads? I must not be a very big hitter than. I have the exact snare with the internal muffler and I havent had any trouble with it.

User Info Menu

I kept the snare tuned really tight for a high "crack". In 1 year I ripped 2 heads and wore out 7 or 8.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads