Thread: Keep Your Shells clean and shiny

User Info Menu

Default Keep Your Shells clean and shiny

Back in August of last year, I picked up a brand new Yamaha Oak Custom 5 piece shell kit and added a new Pearl Copper free floating snare. I keep this kit set up at the dance hall we work every Thursday and every Saturday.
    The dance hall uses dance floor wax on the 5000 sq ft hard rock maple floor and the wax gets on everything...except my new kit.

Hmmm, how can that be? A friend of mine told me to pick up some Collinite Insulator wax...its the same wax Power companies use on their high tension voltage glass insulators.
    Ok...I dropped around 15 bucks on about a 16 ounce bottle and right before I set the kit up, I removed the heads and rims, and waxed the entire kit, on drum at a time and then waxed all the stands and even did the cymbals. I wiped them all down and man they shined like a diamond in a goats behind.
    That was mid august, 2010 and right now, the kit has NO dance floor wax on it nor have I ever wiped them down since I applied the wax.
    My old kit, after using the Pledge type spray waxes would have dance floor wax dust collecting on it in a weeks time.

Want to cut down on cigarette smoke and tar from collecting on your kit or dance floor wax for that matter? Pick up a bottle of Collinite Insulator wax.
    You can Google it and find it easily. Its well worth the expense if you want to keep your kit clean and shiny.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keep Your Shells clean and shiny

Glad it worked for you warren, not to mention the effort you put into it.

User Info Menu

I love tips like this...and I also love gigging in California where smoking is never an issue...

So this stuff and what's the other stuff, Barkeepers Friend...gotta keep a supply on hand.

User Info Menu

Good advice guys will keep it in mind.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip Warren, and good to see you again!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

nice tip and thanks; i use Crazy Johns cymbal wax but just dust my drums atm.
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

dave0549jv Guest

collinite is from right here in central new york. i use it to wax my car!

User Info Menu

Thanks Warren! I will try this out on my kit

User Info Menu

Great , thanks for the tip. Being in Texas, I run into the same issue. I will be looking into that.
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    I wiped them all down and man they shined like a diamond in a goats behind.
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....