Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audition with no set/song list beforehand?

User Info Menu

Default Audition with no set/song list beforehand?

Any of you guys ever done this? Answered an ad on CL for pro band seeking drummer for 80's 90's rock.

I sent them some of my experience and info and they replied with an audition date this sunday but said they do not want to send any type of set or song list as they want the drummers to show up blind and see how it goes? Said they are looking for a good steady tempo and ability to learn parts. They wont even give me name of band.

I replied with OK this sounds interesting and said I am open all day Sunday. I may have to bring my own kit as well but they are gonna let me know that sometime today.

I been playing for 11 yrs now but mostly a weekend warrior/hobby type drummer. Does anyone have any tips or advice?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Audition with no set/song list beforehand?

Honestly, if I was auditioning another drummer, I'd do it the same way. This way, they can tell how well you pay attention, mesh with the bassist and rest of the band, think on the fly and can adjust. Also, they get an idea of your personality and attitude. All the most important skills in my opinion. In addition, it will test your memory of the songs from that era.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Being a devils advocate for a minute.

Going in to something totally blind is scary these days. Whenever I go to unfamiliar territory I take the least amount of gear I can get away with. Usually hats, snare, bass drum, throne and pedal. I only take a portion of one of my practice kits which is why I have them in the first place.

You can get it all done with those few of items. Twice I've tried that and both times got the respect of the other members since I could play anything needed without a complete setup. You mentioned they want to judge "steady tempo" so having fewer items helps keep it simple and clean.

Plus, if things go bad you won't have much to run with or leave if it really goes bad.

I don't trust anyone now days and you never know what you may run in to.

That's my initial thoughts on the matter. Possibly more to come.

If it's legit, good luck and just have fun with it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm with Bish on this.

If they call themselves a "pro band" looking for a drummer, I would make a few calls to bars/clubs in the area and see if anyone has heard of them.

User Info Menu

I answered a CL ad for an audition in the afternoon and I showed up with a 5pc kit with 2 crash, a ride and my metronome later that evening. They didn't ask to see any videos or be given any links to music websites where I may have stashed some bits of my playing and likewise, I didn't ask them for anything either. I just showed up with an open mind and played with some restraint.

The metronome was the icebreaker and it made the entire evening. I was thrilled to see their enthusiasm towards my playing but I was more impressed at how well we played together "off the cuff" and having the click in my IEM helped navigate me through the speed ups and slow downs associated with open jamming.

My advice to you is don't show your hand all at once. Hold a little back and don't show off all of your chops on the first audition. You may be asked to come back and it's good to show up a second time with a few more tricks up your sleeve or, if they hire you on the spot, it's good to have something else to share on the first few band practices.

Ask stuff like "Was that too fast/slow?" and make the adjustments as the audition progresses. In my opinion, a willingness to fit or comply with any unwritten rules about band etiquette will show the others you've been around and have experience playing in bands.

Good luck MDK!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Honestly, if I was auditioning another drummer, I'd do it the same way. This way, they can tell how well you pay attention, mesh with the bassist and rest of the band, think on the fly and can adjust. Also, they get an idea of your personality and attitude. All the most important skills in my opinion. In addition, it will test your memory of the songs from that era.
    Funny but when I got the email I started thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Being a devils advocate for a minute.

Going in to something totally blind is scary these days. Whenever I go to unfamiliar territory I take the least amount of gear I can get away with. Usually hats, snare, bass drum, throne and pedal. I only take a portion of one of my practice kits which is why I have them in the first place.

You can get it all done with those few of items. Twice I've tried that and both times got the respect of the other members since I could play anything needed without a complete setup. You mentioned they want to judge "steady tempo" so having fewer items helps keep it simple and clean.

Plus, if things go bad you won't have much to run with or leave if it really goes bad.

I don't trust anyone now days and you never know what you may run in to.

That's my initial thoughts on the matter. Possibly more to come.

If it's legit, good luck and just have fun with it.
    Good points bud, I was thinking of snare, BD 1up, 1dn, hats, ride, and 1 crash.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm with Bish on this.

If they call themselves a "pro band" looking for a drummer, I would make a few calls to bars/clubs in the area and see if anyone has heard of them.
    I would but do not know anything about them, including band name.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I answered a CL ad for an audition in the afternoon and I showed up with a 5pc kit with 2 crash, a ride and my metronome later that evening. They didn't ask to see any videos or be given any links to music websites where I may have stashed some bits of my playing and likewise, I didn't ask them for anything either. I just showed up with an open mind and played with some restraint.

The metronome was the icebreaker and it made the entire evening. I was thrilled to see their enthusiasm towards my playing but I was more impressed at how well we played together "off the cuff" and having the click in my IEM helped navigate me through the speed ups and slow downs associated with open jamming.

My advice to you is don't show your hand all at once. Hold a little back and don't show off all of your chops on the first audition. You may be asked to come back and it's good to show up a second time with a few more tricks up your sleeve or, if they hire you on the spot, it's good to have something else to share on the first few band practices.

Ask stuff like "Was that too fast/slow?" and make the adjustments as the audition progresses. In my opinion, a willingness to fit or comply with any unwritten rules about band etiquette will show the others you've been around and have experience playing in bands.

Good luck MDK!
    Thanks Late, I will try to remember not to show my hand all at once but thats tough. I usually do ask questions like that but sometimes different people take it as a sign your not sure of yourself. I know how you mean it but st is always a fine line.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

All good advice.
    I would take the audition and also, remember you are auditioning them. Spend a little time talking before you even set up. A musical rapport starts with a personal rapport to some extent. It certainly enhances it.
    Ask them about their playing experience and influences. Great ice-breaker.
    As you play that very first groove with them, keep your ears wide open and your ego firmly in check and hit it with conviction. Show them you know how to "drive the bus".
    Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I'm with Bish...............I'd be precautionary.
    Who knows what this is ?..............likely OK, but not enough information.

I'm playing in a 80s & 90s cover band now...............I was recruited by one of the guitar players with which I had done some work in the studio on 2 or 3 occasions............and I was familiar with the playing and singing of the bass player that was supposedly going to be a part of the band.

So I was not totally blind going in...............I knew they were good players and good people.

But I did not know the songs from that period and if I were in your shoes today, I would probably not play my best because I would not be familiar with much of the stuff they want to play.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I was contacted years ago by a full-time/pro band that had been looking for a drummer. I was referred by someone and they tracked me down.

They got a hold of me and gave me three or four pages of songs they did. I had a few days before the audition so I studied as much as I could. (TBT I knew a lot of the songs anyway).

When I arrived and began....they started with SHARP DRESSED MAN by ZZ-Top. This song wasn't even on the song list they gave me. We played a verse or two, then they stopped..and said "let's jam a little.. Give us a beat you like."

So I did....and we jammed for about 2 minutes.

They said "ok..thank you, that's enough." and we stopped. We'd played for less than 5 minutes.

I was a bit miffed. I'd studied all these songs, drove an hour to the audition and I never got a chance to play them or show off my skills.

They then went into the back dressing room of the club while their crew tore down my stuff for me. (Oh yeah.....forgot to tell you, I auditioned in front of a crowded club where the band was playing at all that week). They bought me a drink at the bar and I waited, thinking it was terrible.

They came out a few minutes later and told me I had the gig.

I was speechless.

I asked them why we didn't do any of the material and why we started with a song that wasn't on the list.

They said....."We know your'e a good drummer and will know or learn the songs. We just wanted to hear your "Meter". We've auditioned all these drummers and none of them can remain steady. Your meter is excellent! That's what we're looking for first and foremost.

I started two weeks later and had the gig for over ten years until I moved away.

FWIW
    Last edited by EddieV; 08-03-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

this sounds fun!

I'd worry about just being super personable and get along with the guys if you like their music. Meshing with musicians can produce better quality everything vs playing with people you can't stand. So just be yourself and HAVE FUN!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys all good info, Got an email this am with the address and time of 3pm and also that there would be a whole drum set already set up. I am bringing my own sticks and pedal but thats about it. Wish me luck this is a 1st for me. I will let ya know how it goes.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Knock it outta the park, MDK!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    there would be a whole drum set already set up. I am bringing my own sticks and pedal but thats about it. Wish me luck this is a 1st for me.
    First of all -- good luck and have fun.
    Knowing there is a drum set there is a big relief..............everything sounds more legit now.

I practice on a cheap Yammy set at the guitarist's studio..............I love the fact that I don't have to set up and break down................I hate the fact that his hi-hat clutch is awful and his shells sound cheap, but I'll live with it.
    What I also love is that at every gig the band notices a big difference when I show up with my own gear..............."now that's a drum set !"

BTW, if your throne is hydraulic, you might take that too.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Bringing a Throne is a good idea, I have been burned before by sitting ona cheap throne for 2 hrs and paying the price later.

I asked why they will not send a set list and this was the response,

"I'm not gonna send you a list because I don't want you to learn any songs until I explain the program to you. Don't worry tho, what we need is a good steady tempo and ability to learn the stated parts. It's fun, mostly rock based"

I am both a little nervous about it and excited to see how I handle it. This should be very very interesting. I usually do not go to open mics because playing stuff on the fly strictly from memory is usually not very good and I beat myself up over it too much.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post

They said....."We know your'e a good drummer and will know or learn the songs. We just wanted to hear your "Meter". We've auditioned all these drummers and none of them can remain steady. Your meter is excellent! That's what we're looking for first and foremost.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post

"I'm not gonna send you a list because I don't want you to learn any songs until I explain the program to you. Don't worry tho, what we need is a good steady tempo and ability to learn the stated parts. It's fun, mostly rock based"

Good luck with your audition! These guys sound like they know what's up.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Good luck.

User Info Menu

dang, just got a message that they have to cancel today but really want me to come in thurs. night.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Oh darn, building suspense! We'll have to wait even longer now!

User Info Menu

Ha. I was going to wish you good luck today. I'll save it for later.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thursday? ok do you have anything like 'a few songs you play' that I can listen to until then because now you're wasting my time.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Oh darn, building suspense! We'll have to wait even longer now!
    Tell me about it...arrgghhh

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Ha. I was going to wish you good luck today. I'll save it for later.
    Thanks bud

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Thursday? ok do you have anything like 'a few songs you play' that I can listen to until then because now you're wasting my time.
    Ya know I thought about that but in a weird way I kind of want to go in blind now and sink or swim just to experience it.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

No one has ever sent me a set list or anything. It's usually like..."Come on over and we'll see what happens sort of thing"
    Sometimes a home run, sometimes a bomb!

Now on OTOH, if a guy has a wife and kids who are depending on him landing that drumming gig, I'd want to know all there was to know about it, just like looking for any real job.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 08-08-2016 at 07:35 AM.

User Info Menu

These are the secrets to getting the gig:
    #1 is MOST important:
    1. Be a nice person that people want to hang out with.
    2. Be timely and responsible for your own stuff.
    3. Be able to play most stuff (even basically) just off the cuff.

I've done this, and been offered every gig I have ever auditioned for.
    Some I turned down because when I auditioned the group did not also do those three things.
    This is the simple truth. You don't have to play like Neil Peart to get the gig, unless you are auditioning for Geddy and Alex.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CollinCo.Drummer View Post
    These are the secrets to getting the gig:
    #1 is MOST important:
    1. Be a nice person that people want to hang out with.
    2. Be timely and responsible for your own stuff.
    3. Be able to play most stuff (even basically) just off the cuff.

I've done this, and been offered every gig I have ever auditioned for.
    Some I turned down because when I auditioned the group did not also do those three things.
    This is the simple truth. You don't have to play like Neil Peart to get the gig, unless you are auditioning for Geddy and Alex.
    Very true!

all the best...