Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

User Info Menu

Default What do you think? (the link works now)

http://www.tonethis.com/videos/user/...76/6805540.3gp

Let me have it.
    I've only been drumming for 2 weeks and I've never had a lesson. Is this decent for two weeks without any lessons?

And for the record,

Im 16
    Those are Vater 2B's
    Those are stock heads
    Last edited by Owens; 04-22-2009 at 10:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What do you think?

Sorry Owens, but I can't start the video for some reason.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Im trying to fix it. It should be up in a few, thanks.

User Info Menu

Let me check now. It didn't work the first time.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Doesn't work.
    Matt

User Info Menu

AHHHH GET OFF THE DOUBLE PEDAL! ARGH! Learn without the double pedal first man. Also, learn on a very basic set up, so don't add anything else. Work on rudiments first, and single stroke rolls, you want to make sure both hands have the same pressure hitting the drum and that they are equal in time. Try using a metronome.

Still, your getting good quick! WOW! Keep it up!
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tama View Post
    AHHHH GET OFF THE DOUBLE PEDAL! ARGH! Learn without the double pedal first man. Also, learn on a very basic set up, so don't add anything else. Work on rudiments first, and single stroke rolls, you want to make sure both hands have the same pressure hitting the drum and that they are equal in time. Try using a metronome.

Still, your getting good quick! WOW! Keep it up!

Thanks for the input.
    I'm trying to find a cheap (but not a piece of crap) metronome.

what would you recomend?

User Info Menu

i think its great for 2 weeks.
    im not sure if ur using earplugs but if ur not then u should!!

User Info Menu

It sounds like you're not afraid to go for it. Timing seemed decent and you are getting into and out of rolls without too much variations.

I'd say you are on your way....Jam to some of your favorite music to get more experience.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

my 2 pence worth matey
    for weeks mate u cant go wrong, but lose the double pedal
    work you muscle with ur right leg and learn with a single then transfer over to a double when you feel more comfortable but i wouldn't touch the double for a few months at least.
    basic set = good, don't add to it, biggest thing will be hand / feet co-ordination try some hi-hat timings just 1234 1234 1234 with ur hi hat and add some snare hits where u think they should go and also where you think they shouldn't
    , this will help with ur timing and also you'll be able to tell better when something sounds right to you.

I can see you like a drum roll, to get faster i used heavy sticks on a terrible old snare then i used a damp towel on the old snare with tape round the end of the sticks to get my power up by playing as fast as i could with this terrible senario ul find when you sit behind a kit with a decent set up, decent sticks, the rolls will be much easier.

your in the right place i havent been here long but there are some seriously good lads on here that will help you out.
    Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.

User Info Menu

Pretty darn good for just a couple weeks! Keep with the basic setup and work on your timing, and rudiments and stuff.
    Matt

User Info Menu

2 weeks? Sounded pretty good to me Owens. The big thing that I would agree with is a metronome to develop the consistency of the timing, and I also agree that you stay off the left pedal of that double for a while, otherwise you'll never learn how to use the single pedal. You'll just get dependent on the double. It could hinder your speed on the pedals in the long run.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Couldn't open it but you've already received some great advise.
    A good drummer will sound good on anything(even stock drum heads). A bad drummer will sound bad on anything.

User Info Menu

Sounded really good for 2 weeks. I won't tell you to exclude the double bass pedal, without first asking you what kind of music are you interested in. Double pedal is good, and may work for you, but try to explore single bass pedal. Your hi hat is as important as everything else on your kit. Anyways, Welcome to Drum Chat, and keep playing!

User Info Menu

That's really good for 2 weeks! You've definitely been practicing a lot. Love the syncopation you've got going on as well; took me ages to nail something like that but you've got it down in a matter of weeks, well done!
    Lose the double bass pedal. As fun as it is, it just distracts you at that stage in your playing. Also, try some different grooves with your feet, you just seemed to be pumping it out there on every 8th note. Your fills are pretty long as well, try shortening them, or playing in different subdivisions, or start going between triplets and straight time, as well as incorporating the toms a bit more. Then learn dynamics and let the fun begin
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

your very good for two weeks, but as people have said, just put the double pedal away for a bit and get good with a single pedal. then in about 3/4 months you should take it out and start to get good with your left foot. but yeah metronome is essential too. get one. seriously
    Paiste Posse

making a snare drum. any advice would be greatly appreciated! pm me if you could help at all.

BRAIN ANEURISM!

User Info Menu

All has been said, just keep up the good work and have fun.

User Info Menu

Awesome job dude, I can definitely tell you've been practicing. For two weeks I think you're doing great. I don't think anything else needs to be said that hasn't. But keep at it.
    "I eat a lot of deserts and play Warcraft for three hours a day." - John Dolmayan on how he keeps himself from tiring out

User Info Menu

Pretty good for 2 weeks of playing!!!
    I'm going to disagree with everyone above. I personally hate that I was limited to single pedal when I started. I wish I was allowed to develop both my legs and over all coordination evenly. There's no reason you can't learn all the single bass technique on both feet. Of course I didn't realize this until after I started playing double bass. It opened up a whole new world for me and I found my style. I was very anti-double bass in the beginning, but my curiosity of learning something new overcame that and I haven't looked back since.
    If you want to learn double bass, do it and do it from the start. You'll still have to develop all the proper techniques and not use the pedal to cheat though, but you'll be a better drummer for it.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I couldn't bring myself to put that double pedal away though. I have still been practicing and I'll post another video for y'all to see soon for more feedback.

User Info Menu

Hey, could you load up the new one on youtube instead of tonethis? It looks like a lot of people (including me) couldn't see the vid.. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Here is the newest video.

And those are Remo Emperors with a Black X on the snare and an Ambasador as a snare resanant.

User Info Menu

Looking, and sounding good Owen!

User Info Menu

I'd like to hear you play some nice straight 4/4 grooves without all the fills.

User Info Menu

I would say that if you are the type of person that is easily distracted and tend to want to play along with a song without listening to it first and dissecting what goes where then you should skip the double bass pedal but if you're not then I would say go for it. Especially if you listen to the kind of music that requires it. Just treat it as a tool that you should only use when it's absolutely required. Don't try to use it to cheat your way out of something you should be able to do with a single pedal.
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.