Thread: Future

User Info Menu

Default Future

100 years ago the hi hat wasn't even invented and there were no electronic drums. What do you think drummers will play on 100 years from now?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Future

Probably something from an app on their iPhone.

User Info Menu

They're probably already doing that.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I do not have a clue. I just hope drums are still played.

User Info Menu

Great question. If we don't start treating our planet better (and each other), we may not be around 100 years from now.

User Info Menu

Yeah, assuming the human race is still here, I'm thinking some sort of cerebellar brain control drum triggering system. The more advanced society becomes, the lazier by proxy we become.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Probably something from an app on their iPhone.

That made me laugh.

But to be precise, it will an app on their iPhone 89S.

I'll get serious for a second.

The drum kit made huge advances in the first half of the twentieth century,but in reality today's kit is very much like the drum sets of the late fifties. There have been advancements, but they were mostly refinements of what came before.

I picked the late fifties as when the last major change happened. That is when mylar heads replaced calfskin.
    Last edited by drummer5359; 09-22-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Great question. If we don't start treating our planet better (and each other), we may not be around 100 years from now.
    wait! but I have one of these...

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    That made me laugh.

The drum kit made huge advances in the first half of the twentieth century,but in reality today's kit is very much like the drum sets of the late fifties. There have been advancements, but they were mostly refinements of what came before.

I picked the late fifties as when the last major change happened. That is when mylar heads replaced calfskin.
    Good one!
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-22-2014 at 11:04 PM.

User Info Menu

In the future we'll have self playing drumsticks. Why waste time mucking about on the skins, when you could be off chatting up the girls? The new Ronco Self Playing drumsticks allow just that. Made with RealWoood, they feel just like PopPop's old drumsticks, but don't be fooled. Inside we've packed the finest value in automation electronics. Never miss a beat. Cause you won't be playing.

Batteries not included. Some assembly required. Product on packaging is for display purposes only. Your experience might vary. Tipper Gore Committee Seal of Approval™. This product contains chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of California
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

So many things to say, but Id rather not be banned.

User Info Menu

Kaz that's funny.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I think for acoustic drums, not a huge amount will be changed. Maybe some new hardware innovations.

I have no idea what kind of electronic stuff we'll have in the next five years, so I'm not even going to try to predict the next hundred.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Telepathy drumming will hit the scene. There's going to be some weird concerts in the future.

ask me
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

As with everything else, I think electronics will play a much larger role than they do now. Look at how many electronics have been added to cars in the last 100 years. You can't drive a (new) car without them now. Not just cars though. Look at phones, or office work or many other things.

I think acoustic drums and cymbals as we know them may still be around to some extent, kind of like the manual transmission in cars. (And not that stupid flappy paddle crap that only shifts if the computer says you are allowed to.) They might all be made from polymers and composites by then, commercially speaking.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Future

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    That made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I think for acoustic drums, not a huge amount will be changed. Maybe some new hardware innovations.

I have no idea what kind of electronic stuff we'll have in the next five years, so I'm not even going to try to predict the next hundred.
    Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    As with everything else, I think electronics will play a much larger role than they do now. Look at how many electronics have been added to cars in the last 100 years. You can't drive a (new) car without them now. Not just cars though. Look at phones, or office work or many other things.

I think acoustic drums and cymbals as we know them may still be around to some extent, kind of like the manual transmission in cars. (And not that stupid flappy paddle crap that only shifts if the computer says you are allowed to.) They might all be made from polymers and composites by then, commercially speaking.
    The amazing thing is that acoustic drums are still pretty much the same as they were thousands of years ago...whether they're FiberSkyns or tiger skins, they are still stretched across shells not too far removed from a raw tree trunk, complete with bark (remember those composites are often based on wood and/or wood derivatives).

And quikstang, they developed "that stupid floppy paddle crap" for drums many years ago...they were the first electronic drums...and thank goodness we've come a long, long way since then!

Of course, hand drummers will seldom if ever have to worry about being obsoleted by technology (unless you have bionic hands!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    And quikstang, they developed "that stupid floppy paddle crap" for drums many years ago...they were the first electronic drums...and thank goodness we've come a long, long way since then!
    That's one way of looking at it. I was referring more towards engine management and all the needless crap people buy. The flappy paddle comment was just a side complaint about cars.

User Info Menu

It will likely depend on what kind of music is being played in a 100 years from now.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I predict that within the window of 100 years from now, music may become outlawed for it's influencial effect on the minds of the listener. Someone may protest that it's to blame for 90% of violent crimes and that's all it will take to start the fire. I hope I never live to see that day, or i'm wrong completely and there is no widespread aftermath to deal with. I wouldn't want to live in a world without music in it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments