Thread: Lessons

User Info Menu

Default Lessons

hey guys,
    I'm taking lessons right now, and he's got me going through the Buddy Rich. But I just don't understand it,and I hate going to lessons and trying to play it for him and not being able to do it. I sat down to practice it today and just couldn't do it. I don't feel like I'm going anywhere with it. Should I look for another teacher? Or.... what else?

He's a great drummer and a really nice guy, but I just don't understand what he's teaching. And I'm not having fun with it.

-Fred

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lessons

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    hey guys,
    I'm taking lessons right now, and he's got me going through the Buddy Rich. But I just don't understand it,and I hate going to lessons and trying to play it for him and not being able to do it. I sat down to practice it today and just couldn't do it. I don't feel like I'm going anywhere with it. Should I look for another teacher? Or.... what else?

He's a great drummer and a really nice guy, but I just don't understand what he's teaching. And I'm not having fun with it.

-Fred
    You should sit down and explain exactly what you just said. You two need to do some fact finding and figure out your goals. If he isn't the right guy he should know it and hopefully he can recommend someone that's better suited for what you want to do.

Also, hopefully maybe he's flexible enough and can understand what you want to learn and approach from another angle. I'd give him a second chance with a serious discussion and see if you guys can get on a similar page.

Good luck which ever way this turns out. And good for you for taking lessons.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

hmmm, how many lessons have u had? is this your frist teacher? is he showing you sticking and notation? what is it you are struggling with?

sorry i know there are more questions than answers but to properly respond I need more info,

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

well everyone has there own technique for teaching people, it just may not be right for you, maybe like bish said, you might need to sit and talk with your teacher about exactly what you want to learn.

on the other hand, he might be teaching you mr. rich's stuff because of the advanced techniques that he uses, he might think that you are good enough to learn some advanced stuff....good luck with this buddy, i know you are a good drummer anyways, but it is always good to take lessons, and learn as much as you can about all aspects of drumming, it may come in handy later on down the road!

User Info Menu

A good teacher will take your confusion and make it right. Like they said communicate that with him. He will understand!

User Info Menu

Fred don't ever assume just because you're paying someone to teach you that everything he does is going to be right for you. As the others said, communication is essential. You both need to be on the same page. He may be able to give you a good explanation of why he's got you on a certain track, and when you understand why he's doing that, you may understand and agree. If not, then explain to him what bothers you about it.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I agree that it's time to be honest about your frustration. Good teachers will help their students through the frustration. When you talk to him, you'll know what to do.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

What section of the book are you working on?

Andy

User Info Menu

All you said was going through the Buddy Rich. I take that to mean the Buddy Rich method book that shows how he used the rudiments in his playing. Not exactly a book for beginners and it does assume that the student has a solid foundation of the rudiments. As the others have suggested, you may have to step back from it and ask your teacher to use an easier approach until you are ready for this one.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I agree with some of the other replies , that you should have a talk with your teacher and explain how you feel and what you want to learn . It never hurts to ask ,cause if you dont he will think youre happy with what youre being taught .Good luck .

User Info Menu

I think its a good sign that hes giving you something that will challenge you. I don't think many people will be able to play Buddy's stuff well but its making you think and learn some awesome techniques! Better that than just playing basic beats over again. I would recommend talking to your teacher and maybe putting in requests for stuff (i.e - songs, techniques) that you would like to learn. Although Jazz drumming is one of the most skillful of genres to drum to its not everyone's cup of tea. If you tell him what you think he will probably have many other things for you to learn instead.

User Info Menu

has any one here used mikeslessons.com i wanna start but 2 have more than just one lesson a week cause i had to miss last weeks for boxing and this weeks im gonna have to miss for the fact my parents are going out of town
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Hi,

I went to three tutors. All were masters of the instrument and all taught me differently. However, I didn't make as much progress as I expected and 'realised' that I simply could not play. After all, I couldn't blame it on the teacher as there were three of them, or could I?

Eventually, I got into contact with a fourth teacher who looked at my technique and told me that I wasn't making progress because of fundamental issues which he said should have been straightened out by my previous tutors. I then went on to make as much progress in 6 months as I had in the last 2 years.

My advice is to get a good teacher or none at all. Otherwise you will be wasting your time and money.

Cheers,

Paul.

User Info Menu

This is advice coming from some that teaches lessons. I have over the years stopped teaching students because we just didn't click. They often went on to others and had everything work out. I have also had students that came to me from someone for similar reasons. You really need to have a sit down discussion with your teacher and get this out in the open.