Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What?!

User Info Menu

Default What?!

I was in a cooking store yesterday, and what I saw amazed me: Vic Firth rolling pin. For all of you non-cooks out there, it's used to roll out dough, pie crusts, and other goodies. It was made of American Rock Maple, pretty sweet looking for a rolling pin. But a thought just hit me like a stray drumstick: why?
    They ranged from 24-50 bucks or around there.. Just funny and a little odd, so I thought I'd just share this...
    I'm glad drumming has an influence on cooking, although they have nothing really in common (no offense to us drummers lol!)
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: What?!

They sell them at the creative kitchen here in the mall, bought my wife one. Never thought of mentioning it here. cool move D/R.

User Info Menu

Yup, that's Vic's side thing. He's been doing it for years. Pretty cool huh?

User Info Menu

I think they also make pepper mills if I'm not mistaken.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Maybe everybody who works at Vic Firth are chefs.

User Info Menu

Eh?? Next thing you'll know Zildjian will corner the market in salad bowls or summink LOL
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

He has a ready supply of wood and lathes to turn them so why not!

User Info Menu

STAGG do ovens but whenever I use mine, it breaks.

User Info Menu

Wow I bake alot of cookies so maybe I will get a Vic Firth rolling pin.

User Info Menu

my high school is sponnsored by Vic, and i found a Vic Firth Gourmet catalog in the band room the other day and had the exact same reaction.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Here is a write up about Vic Firth from ther web-site. This is someething I never knew until now.

About Vic Firth

Vic Firth

For a half-century, Vic Firth personified precision and professionalism as the timpanist for the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

It was his drive for perfection that lead him to begin manufacturing his own drumsticks 40 years ago—and today, Vic Firth drumsticks are widely recognized as the best drumsticks in the world.

Now, Vic has brought his commitment to quality and woodturning expertise to the professional gourmet tools market with Vic Firth Gourmet peppermills, salt mills and rolling pins.

Available in a variety of styles, sizes and finishes, Vic Firth kitchen tools complement any kitchen décor or table setting. Just as important, Vic Firth mills, shakers and rolling pins are thoughtfully designed, meticulously crafted tools built to deliver a lifetime of service to both professional and home chefs.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What?!

Makes sense to me!

Since so many drummers say they're "cookin'" when they're rockin' the set, now they can use Vic Firth products when they're cookin' in the kitchen!

And considering "timbales" is a cooking term referring to a savory meat and egg dish (similar to croquettes) cooked in special molds, couldn't you just see LP coming out with timbale cases for fine dining?

Seriously, I'll have to check this stuff out! I enjoy cooking, so this is one Vic Firth purchase I could justify to Mrs. 'bro without a moment's hesitation!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

That's cool. I could use one myself.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

BUMP for weird story time.

For about five years I have worked at a country club here on Cape Cod (located about an hour south of Boston in the state of Massachusetts).

Last year I applied a Vic Firth decal to the window of my car to balance out the Boston Red Sox one on the other side (both are white peel and rub stickers, one on the passenger side, one on the driver's side).

Today my boss came up to me and said one of the members noticed the sticker on my car. Confused, I replied "The Red Sox one?" That wouldn't surprise me, since many members are businesspeople in Boston and hold season tickets, etc.

"No", my boss said. "The Vic-something one". "Oh, the Vic Firth one. IT's a company that makes drumsticks, and pepper mills and rolling pins. I found that out when I worked at Linens N Things a few years ago. They're based out of Dedham, where my grandparents used to live. There's another company, Vater, based out Holbrook, but I have bad luck with their sticks, I break them. The shop in Hyannis is tied to them by someone's sister being married to a VP or something. The other big brand is made in Texas."

"Have you ever talked to Mr. C [I told my boss I'd only use initials]?"

"No, but I recognize the name. Why? Does he play?"

"No. Years ago he borrowed $20,000 from Mr. K to start the company making pepper mills and rolling pins. They weren't selling a lot of volume, so he paired with some guy from the Boston Symphony Orchestra and they started selling sticks."

"He doesn't still own it, does he? I know that they merged front offices or something with a cymbal company based out of Norwell, Zildjian".

"No, he sold his part a couple of years ago. He went to pay back Mr. K when he did, and Mr. K told him that his $20,000 is worth a whole lot more now, he should be getting interest."

It's really weird how small of a world it is. I use Vic Firth sticks because I just happen to have the best luck with them, and now it feels like I'm taking work home with me almost.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    I was in a cooking store yesterday, and what I saw amazed me: Vic Firth rolling pin. For all of you non-cooks out there, it's used to roll out dough, pie crusts, and other goodies. It was made of American Rock Maple, pretty sweet looking for a rolling pin. But a thought just hit me like a stray drumstick: why?
    They ranged from 24-50 bucks or around there.. Just funny and a little odd, so I thought I'd just share this...
    I'm glad drumming has an influence on cooking, although they have nothing really in common (no offense to us drummers lol!)

Heavy handed metal drummers could always get a couple to use as sticks!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Not sure I'd buy the wife one of those. They gotta hurt!!

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Eh?? Next thing you'll know Zildjian will corner the market in salad bowls or summink LOL
    I figure they have a lock on gladiator movie prop shields.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Most sorry for hijacking the thread, but I just couldn't pass this one up!

12-19-2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    12-19-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    I figure they have a lock on gladiator movie prop shields.
    Well, this is freaky....exactly one year ago to the day, I said this about Zildjian venturing into the kitchen. Well, what do you know? It's more like the kitchen has ventured into Zildjian, lol! Believe it or not, Zildjian had a while ago introduced a frying pan prototype cymbal! WTH??

Anyway, check them out on YouTube. Very easy to search them, they're the first ones to come up under 'Zildjian Frying Pan', I'm just not posting commercial links here.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

nice stocking filler for christmas.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    BUMP for weird story time.

For about five years I have worked at a country club here on Cape Cod (located about an hour south of Boston in the state of Massachusetts).

Last year I applied a Vic Firth decal to the window of my car to balance out the Boston Red Sox one on the other side (both are white peel and rub stickers, one on the passenger side, one on the driver's side).

Today my boss came up to me and said one of the members noticed the sticker on my car. Confused, I replied "The Red Sox one?" That wouldn't surprise me, since many members are businesspeople in Boston and hold season tickets, etc.

"No", my boss said. "The Vic-something one". "Oh, the Vic Firth one. IT's a company that makes drumsticks, and pepper mills and rolling pins. I found that out when I worked at Linens N Things a few years ago. They're based out of Dedham, where my grandparents used to live. There's another company, Vater, based out Holbrook, but I have bad luck with their sticks, I break them. The shop in Hyannis is tied to them by someone's sister being married to a VP or something. The other big brand is made in Texas."

"Have you ever talked to Mr. C [I told my boss I'd only use initials]?"

"No, but I recognize the name. Why? Does he play?"

"No. Years ago he borrowed $20,000 from Mr. K to start the company making pepper mills and rolling pins. They weren't selling a lot of volume, so he paired with some guy from the Boston Symphony Orchestra and they started selling sticks."

"He doesn't still own it, does he? I know that they merged front offices or something with a cymbal company based out of Norwell, Zildjian".

"No, he sold his part a couple of years ago. He went to pay back Mr. K when he did, and Mr. K told him that his $20,000 is worth a whole lot more now, he should be getting interest."

It's really weird how small of a world it is. I use Vic Firth sticks because I just happen to have the best luck with them, and now it feels like I'm taking work home with me almost.
    Cool story MrB

User Info Menu

Thank you, sir!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I"ve had a VF peppermill for several years. Love it.

User Info Menu

Well you learn something new everyday don't you?
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I'd love to have Regal Tip salt and pepper shakers!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Pro Mark makes killer shoe trees.