Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input a new kit decision pls

User Info Menu

Default Input a new kit decision pls

Help me pick a kit.

Well I have been using a pearl target for years and believe or not but a lug on my snare drum cracked and broke leaving it useless. So I decided its time to upgrade to a better kit.

Now I have been stuck between Sonor 3007 or a gretsch Catalina Maple. Im in Canada, and its much cheaper to drive down to the states to buy the Sonor and buying the gretsch is priced alright here. Im going to head down to a drum shop and have a look at the Cat maple but I wanted to get some input between the two.

Here is my kit now

and here is the snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: Input a new kit decision pls

I know that if you go with the Catalina, you won't regret it. Lots of people on here have or have had that kit. I can't speak for the Sonor, but I also can't speak against it. My advice is try both kits out, and then see which you like better.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I agree with Turtlinator that the best thing to do would be try both kits out. Also don't rule out the intermediate kits from other brands such as Tama Superstars, Mapex Meridians etc.
    Matt

User Info Menu

In that price range any brand name kit is going to be good quality, so it's going to be personal peference. +1 to playing what you can.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Well most shops around me dont deal Sonor for some reason but im going to head to try out a cat kit. Maybe see what Yamaha has to offer. I have played Tama's years ago and not fond of them that much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    I know that if you go with the Catalina, you won't regret it. Lots of people on here have or have had that kit. I can't speak for the Sonor, but I also can't speak against it. My advice is try both kits out, and then see which you like better.
    This...happy hunting!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

What else does the shop have that interests you? Post more updates after you return from the shop with kits you can get locally, and someone will be able to offer a better insight into their pros and cons for you. Also, you can try checking review sites and videos of the drums being played.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

A nice catalina or maybe a ludwig...
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

biggyk, when I was choosing a kit I narrowed my choices down to the same 2 kits that you are now considering. I wanted the Sonor 3007 5 piece because it came in a beautiful natural finish, and it was a solidly made kit. I wanted the Catalina Maple kit because it came as a 6 piece, the Deep Amber finish was second only to the natural finish, and it was also solidly built. To make a long story short, I ended up going with the Catalina Maple kit, and realized that I wouldn't have made a poor choice either way. In the end, I am very happy with a 6 piece kit, the Catalina Maple kit is always get complements on its sound, and it is a solidly built intermediate kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

been keeping my eye on this puppy.

*sorry biggyk, but the Forum Rules prohibit links to retailers (commercial links). biggyk is thinking about the Gretsch Catalina Maple 6 piece in the Trans Black finish. - PB*

User Info Menu

Never heard a bad story about Catalinas. Plus it's cheaper to buy local than to drive across borders. Any money you'd save on shipping would be nicely offset by the cost of fuel.

User Info Menu

Where abouts are you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
    Never heard a bad story about Catalinas. Plus it's cheaper to buy local than to drive across borders. Any money you'd save on shipping would be nicely offset by the cost of fuel.
    Well in my case I have family not to far from the shop I was going to head too. The Sonor were a much better deal to drive down. It is $1499+tax cdn here and Dale's Drum shop in Harrisburg, PA has them for 789.00+tax US. Since no duty, I would just pay about $100 in tax at the border and im on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Where abouts are you?
    London Ontario, 2 hours from Detroit

User Info Menu

So am I! Bellones carries Sonor.

User Info Menu

Nice Happy new year London brother!

Yeah I went there it was practically the same price as I want a 6pc.

User Info Menu

I used PDP's give them a look if they are available to you they are great drums I tour with mine and get compliments on the sound and looks all the time and they are very solid and roadworthy

User Info Menu

Actually I did try x7s and they sound nice. The hardware was little iffy for me and I heard a bunch of people talk about cheap hardware.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
    Well in my case I have family not to far from the shop I was going to head too. The Sonor were a much better deal to drive down. It is $1499+tax cdn here and Dale's Drum shop in Harrisburg, PA has them for 789.00+tax US. Since no duty, I would just pay about $100 in tax at the border and im on my way.

London Ontario, 2 hours from Detroit
    Hey, Dale's is my hangout! I'm getting a kit from there soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by biggyk View Post
    Nice Happy new year London brother!

Yeah I went there it was practically the same price as I want a 6pc.

I'll tell you though, for customer service, warranty Bellones cant be beat, Ive bought every single one of my kits from them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I'll tell you though, for customer service, warranty Bellones cant be beat, Ive bought every single one of my kits from them.
    I almost bought a Gretsch guitar in Bellones once.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hey! That's how my first snare died! One of the lugs gave way, but the force made the rest of them give away too. Resulting in the top of my snare getting ripped off and flying two feet in the air. Pretty neat.

If you wanted to, you could just get a new snare. I'd personally go for a new kit all together, but if you needed to cut back on price that may be a solution. Kits I would recommend are... Gretsch Catalina. (A forum favorite, by the looks of it...) Ludwig Centennial (Awesome sounding kicks.) Pearl Masters (If you want to stick with the brand name ya got.) Or PDP. The hardware on PDPs are fine, just ask for extra lug inserts with the purchase. My GC bud says PDP sends a bag full of replacements with each kit, and that is usually what people complain about. Sticky tension rods.

Best of luck on your search! I wish I could get my new kit right now...
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I have thought about just buying a new snare, maybe pick up another cymbal but i have lost love with my current kit. Not liking a 12" and 13" tom. New kit is the way to go.

dave0549jv Guest

As everyone else has said, you really cant go wrong with either of those kits, but I personally like the sonors better. That autumn fade finish makes me feel tingly all over, and i really like the look of the lugs and hardware. It's got more personality than the gretsch i think.

and as far as PDP goes, I think theyve had issues with flimsy hardware in the past, but they seem to have addressed a lot of the issues. The x7s are pretty decent kits, and I'm still madly in love with my Platinums.

dave0549jv Guest

and for God's sake whatever you do.... POST PICTURES!!!!

User Info Menu

Yes sir, Pic and a video will follow once I make the final decision. If I decide Sonor, it probably wont be till early February when I pick them up.