Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show us your STACKS

User Info Menu

Default Re: Show us your STACKS

CYMBAL STACKS

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post

The next is a 12" Wuhan on top of a Meinl 12" nickel splash.
    [/URL]
    Update: I recently made a change to this stack. I put it on an X-Hat mount and turned the bottom cymbal upside down as it would be on a hi-hat. It sounds even better now, a great trash hat. I may make another for the left side of the kit.

User Info Menu

Love this one.................not expensive either.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have nothing to show here. I have tried making stacks after seeing some of these pics and no matter what I do it sounds atrocious.is there some secret to doing this or is the point specifically to make an unappealing noize?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Ludwig centennial natural 11 piece
    Gp jungle natural 4 piece
    Yamaha dtxpress3
    Saluda cymbals
    zildjian a customs
    Sabian aax

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carbohydrate kid View Post
    I have nothing to show here. I have tried making stacks after seeing some of these pics and no matter what I do it sounds atrocious.is there some secret to doing this or is the point specifically to make an unappealing noize?
    I think you nailed it. My opinion is stacks don't exactly sound pleasant, more of a loud static 'white noise' with minimal sustain. Like china cymbals, I'm not particularly fond of the sound of most of them, but they can work well depending upon the type of music played and personal preferences. If you don't like stacks, well - thats one less piece of crap to spend money on and haul around.

User Info Menu

A lot of cymbals just don't work well in stacks in my opinion. Small splashes and chinas usually work but again, not always. What you are going for (at least normally) is a short trashy sound, sort of like a china but with much less sustain. It's a lot more of a percussive sound, and it definitely won't work for everything.

User Info Menu

Did y'all see Aaron Spears new stack? Now THAT was strange.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuiCeeAddict View Post
    Did y'all see Aaron Spears new stack? Now THAT was strange.
    The one with all the O-zones?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

No the new one... The one with a crash with a stacked FX Spiral Trash. Here's the link:
    See 2:11
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnCJSLggxMQ
    Last edited by GuiCeeAddict; 12-04-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: update

User Info Menu

So I had my local metal worker "Ozonify" two old ZBT cymbals.. a crash and a splash. On their own they sound great. Stacked... they sound AWEOME!

User Info Menu

^Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    YES!!!! Perfect except the tires need to be bigger.
    And it needs to be a Chevy/GMC!

User Info Menu

So I had my local metal worker "Ozonify" two old ZBT cymbals.. a crash and a splash. On their own they sound great. Stacked... they sound AWEOME!
    I bet that sounds nasty, but in a good way!!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I must say I have a few cymbals but this one sounds the nastiest (in a good way).

I made another pair actually.

User Info Menu

I must say I have a few cymbals but this one sounds the nastiest (in a good way).

I made another pair actually.
    I actually have a 16" Sabian Ozone crash and a 10" Ozone splash. I love them both by themselves, but I've never tried stacking them. I'm going to have to give it a try!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I actually have a 16" Sabian Ozone crash and a 10" Ozone splash. I love them both by themselves, but I've never tried stacking them. I'm going to have to give it a try!
    When I got my OZONE crash I tried several combinations with my china and couldn't get what I liked. I want to order a smaller ozone (14" or smaller) and try it again.

User Info Menu

Looks very cool. The ozone would sound great because air doesn't get trapped between the two cymbals.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

The vented cymbals like Ozones sound great in stacks. Meinl 12" Classics Custom Trash Splash on top of a Meinl 16" Byzance Vintage Trash Crash is great...not super loud but I like that. Very trashy but also kind of mellow and it's a cool short crash sound.
    The Meinl CC Trash Splash is such a great cymbal for stacking, honestly. And it's cheap.

User Info Menu

So I stacked my Ozone crash and splash this morning and tried it out. I like it, but I think I like them by themselves more. I keep my Ozone splash really tight, I use an extra cymbal felt and crank down the wing nut. It makes it a real fast decay.

User Info Menu

careful though. that'd be quite easy to crack it buddy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I keep my Ozone splash really tight, I use an extra cymbal felt and crank down the wing nut. It makes it a real fast decay.
    This is a recipe for a cracked ozone splash.

User Info Menu

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I'll loosen it up. Thanks for the tip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carbohydrate kid View Post
    I haven't had much luck yet getting a sound I like with my extra cymbals, either. I've heard some combinations on YouTube recordings and such that make a sound that I think I would like to have, I just can't seem to recreate it with what I have available.

I'll keep experimenting. Not an urgent need, or an easy way to add it to the kit in some room set-ups, but I think it would be a great alternative to the big china sound.
    Last edited by worcesterbruce; 07-28-2016 at 10:24 AM.